Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  22:50:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
I wrote:
quote:

Perhaps simply "medicine" would cover both drugs and alternative medicine

DaveW:
quote:
Given the number of people who are rabidly anti-drug, yet pro-alternative medicine, I think naming them both is necessary, at least within a short description of the folder.

I like the "legislation" addition (and had been thinking about putting "the FDA" in my first draft), but also like my "human or otherwise" ending, since veterinary health quackery abounds, as well.

Of course, we could put a "sticky" in the folder itself, describing the purpose and extent of the discussions to be found there in much more detail (making what's in the blurb largely irrelevant). I'll start drafting that, too...

Got to bring them in. But I like the idea of a sticky too. Go for it. There really are a lot of issues that could be covered under "Health." Maybe we can bring some life to that folder, eh?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  22:56:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Snake:
Kil might want to read this also, since he wants to know about my mind.

Hmmmm....

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  03:28:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Woody D

quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Hey Snake (what's with this Woody persona, anyway

Hey Filthy, buddy!
You might be sorry you asked
Kil might want to read this also, since he wants to know about my mind
Although I liked having the name Snake (difficult to get on many sites) it had 2222 posts. So I tried getting the name 22 Twain, which I have on this site but can't use (hello @), not able to acsess.
Numbers! When I go to my bank, the tellers know me already. I have to even out the account all the time to make them end in the proper numbers. 0's and 5's are best. If the numbers are 'off' (uneven) it bothers me. 2222 is so semritical. Even though I'm anti-semrict.
Wanted to leave that number on there at least for a while. So pretty to look at.
Don't you make words out of licence plates? Makes me crazy when I drive, can't stop reading them. Like to see the ones with 'good' numbers. And on cash register reciets, if I buy something that totals up to a 'fun' number I get all happy. Don't get me started on street addresses.....
Woody is my dog, next to this guy who sings in my favorite band, I love him so much. The guy in the band I worship but they are both important to me. So that's why I choose his name.
Hey! Makes sense to me.
You had to ask!

quote:

So don't ask, and I'll not tell.

Edited: don't ask........

Ok, won't ask. But it's ok if you are gay.

Sorry Snake, but I'm so straight that last year I tried to sell my grandchildren to the Rom. Imagine my disappointment when the Rom didn't want them. Years ago, they didn't want my children, either, the cheap bastards .

Annnd, you're right. I'm sorry I asked. Sometimes an inquiring mind is not a good thing.

Hm. I wonder why the Twain moniker won't work.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

PruplePanther
Skeptic Friend

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  13:00:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send PruplePanther a Private Message
quote:

I like chitterlings. Sadly, I can't eat very many because of the fat content. Even more sadly, I'm planning to cook 10# of 'em for my motorcycle club's Christmas party, and can only pig out a little bit.

Fat is indeed everywhere; there's no avoiding it. There is a reason for this: it is the fat that gives meat most of it's flavor, therefore our meat animals heve been selectivly bred to carry as much of it as possible. Also. a fat hog will bring in more money than a lean one.

Compare a domestic swine with a wild one. The wild hog carries a lot of it's weight on it's shoulders and it's hind quarters tend to be relitivly small. It also lacks a lot of mid-body length and girth. And it is lean and mean, exactly the opposit of 'Babe'. And whilst you're about it, compare a hereford or angus steer and any other wild bovine. The same holds for fowl; chickens and pheasants for example.

Soy beans are excellent an animal feed, and not too shabby for humans in some of it's more processed forms. Kudzu is also a good feed and I don't understand why it's not used. It's all the other crap that is mixed into the feed, including ground up, dead animals, etc, that is all but posionous. And, as the animals are confined at the last in a feed lot and not moving around much, they tend to put on the lard.

Yes, the amount of fat we eat is bad for you. It adds to your girth and plugs up your arteries; a high price to pay for having a little delicious grease on your chin, eh?. How do you avoid fat? Short of becomming a vegan, you don't. You can only pick out the piece of meat that has the least amount grey in it, and avoid the fouler grease pits like Mickey D's (all of these crap chutes shout about how wonderfuly juicey their suicide burgers are. Guess what that 'juice' is....

Even poultry, especally ducks and geese, and fish have a certain fat content.

But hey, who wants to live forever? Bone appytite!

i know that everyone SAYS that fat is bad for you but IS IT REALLY? Eggs used to be bad for u then 'they' changed thier minds and eggs got to be good for you again. Meat used to be bad for u but now 'they' are reevaluating. Wine was bad for u but now 'they' say that it's good for u. More and more.

The whole subject of FOOD needs to be set under a skeptical microscope. "Diet, etc." in description doesn't mean "food" to me. It means "weight watchers" or "Adkins".

Also do i like title "HEALTH". BUT...

A couple of years ago 'they' spent oodles of money pulling corn products off of shelves because a tiny little bit of GM corn "not approved for human consumption" got mixed into human food. The GM corn was only approved for food-animals. But if "You are what yu eat" then the unapproved-for-human GM corn became part of cow's protein which i ate as steak. Mean anything? Don't know. But it NEEDS to be talked about before someone finally notices that the GM cow-feed was slowly destroying cow-eaters kidney or liver tissue.

Food is becoming REALLY important. A REAL potential problem. Even more important than sending humans to mars or defending agianst an asteroid.

"If I don't know where we are, I can't plot a course home." Major Carter, SG-1
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  18:41:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
"Diet, etc." in the description was simply a shorthand. There's limited space in those descriptions.

All the things you're bringing up as possible topics are assuredly health related.

Go ahead and start some threads under "Medicine," PruplePanther, and just assume that the folder name will be changed to "Health" and a detailed description posted sometime soon, rather than continue the health discussion here under "Feature Suggestions."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Woody D
Skeptic Friend

Thailand
285 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2003 :  01:01:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Woody D a Private Message
quote:
Sorry Snake, but I'm so straight that last year I tried to sell my grandchildren to the Rom. Imagine my disappointment when the Rom didn't want them. Years ago, they didn't want my children, either, the cheap bastards .

Don't worry Filthy, I know you are. Was trying to be humorous.
But you've lost me with the Rom. Don't know what that is.

quote:

Annnd, you're right. I'm sorry I asked. Sometimes an inquiring mind is not a good thing.

Hm. I wonder why the Twain moniker won't work.

As you've said, sometimes it's better not to ask......or speak. I'm not one for being tactful.
What I've been told is that I can't use it 'cause I didn't replay to the email that was 'suppose' to be sent. But I never got one. We'll leave it at that......that's where the shutting up part comes in, so I won't say anything to make @ angry.
Snake

www.Carabao.net
As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.
Mick Shrimpton
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2003 :  04:37:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
'Rom' is short for Romney, which is the Gypsies. Years ago, they had the reputation for buying children. I don't know if that story is still being used by parents to scare the bejabbers out of their kids these days, or not. It used to be pretty wide-spread. I still use it on mine, even though they are both pushing 30 and never believed it in the first place (I could never make the threat with a straight face). My wretched grandbrats don't believe it, either.

I've read that the Rom originated in the Romania regon, thus the name.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Woody D
Skeptic Friend

Thailand
285 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2003 :  00:58:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Woody D a Private Message
quote:

'Rom' is short for Romney, which is the Gypsies. Years ago, they had the reputation for buying children. I don't know if that story is still being used by parents to scare the bejabbers out of their kids these days, or not. It used to be pretty wide-spread. I still use it on mine, even though they are both pushing 30 and never believed it in the first place (I could never make the threat with a straight face). My wretched grandbrats don't believe it, either.

I've read that the Rom originated in the Romania regon, thus the name.

That's right Filthy, stick to your story. Don't back down.
Perhaps by the time they are 40 they will fear you enough. Disciplining kids takes time.
My grandfather was from Romania, I never heard those tales. Would have sold my kids for a fair amount of money. Wish I would have known it is possible. Could use the money more than the kids.
Snake

www.Carabao.net
As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.
Mick Shrimpton
Go to Top of Page

Sea Sorbust
Skeptic Friend

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2003 :  11:39:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sea Sorbust a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

"Diet, etc." in the description was simply a shorthand. There's limited space in those descriptions.

All the things you're bringing up as possible topics are assuredly health related.

Go ahead and start some threads under "Medicine," PruplePanther, and just assume that the folder name will be changed to "Health" and a detailed description posted sometime soon, rather than continue the health discussion here under "Feature Suggestions."

What kind of fraud is this, Gentleman Dave? Now it is likely true that the Pruple Weasel's interest in Mars is little more than to discover if there are new kinds of fungi growing underground, marshrooms, if you will and so I shouldn't be interested in his food projects except for one thing.

If we do aim a womanned, or manned, mission toward Mars then it will be vital that the foodstuffs and foodplants-for-cultivation that we take with us are 100% good nutrition. There will be no room for error in this. If we find out that some esoteric GM food we have hauled to Mars is not nutritious, or is even damaging to one or more organs, there will be almost no way to recover. The food we take will have to be 100%-safe-for-humans foodstuff.

The Pruple Wheezel asked for a forum to discuss food. You, Dave, twisted that into "Health" and when you finished describing the "Health" forum, even the word "Food" was conspicuously missing. Shame on you, Dave. The poor Pruple Weasel does his best to move ahead without argument, haggle, or fight and all you did is to "snooker" him into your silly "Health" forum about nothing else than the medical industries.

There will be no room in a Mars mission for a great gaggle of medicoes to patch up maladies due to inadequate foodstuffs.

He's absolutely right: Food for nutrition's sake is vitally important.

The so-called "Health" forum, as now constituted, needs to be reconsidered.

"This is the forest primeval...."
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2003 :  16:47:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Sea Sorbust wrote:
quote:
...The food we take will have to be 100%-safe-for-humans foodstuff.

The Pruple Wheezel asked for a forum to discuss food. You, Dave, twisted that into "Health" and when you finished describing the "Health" forum, even the word "Food" was conspicuously missing. Shame on you, Dave...
You almost said it yourself, Sea: if the food we grow - whether using GM technologies or otherwise - is not safe to eat, then it is unhealthy. I'll direct you to the full folder description, which specifically includes GM foods as a possible example of a topic for the Health folder.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2003 :  20:00:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Sea Sorbust:

Unless we are trading favorite recipes, exactly what food topic would you consider relevant to a skeptic site that doesn't relate to health?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Sea Sorbust
Skeptic Friend

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2003 :  10:58:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sea Sorbust a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:
Sea Sorbust:

Unless we are trading favorite recipes, exactly what food topic would you consider relevant to a skeptic site that doesn't relate to health?

I didn't make my point very well and the subject is not any of my business. The Panther seems to have acceeded to the HealthForum as constituted but I think that much more emphasis needs to be placed on food. All the discussable, dubious aspects of health that Dave talks in the Forum description about are more in the past than in the present or the future. Not saying that they still aren't pertinent; only that the problems have been addressed and thrashed thoroughly. Scientific studies have been done; legislation has been passed or is pending. But food quality has been disintegrating steadily for decades, usually in response to more profitable methods of agriculture and distribution.

I don't disagree with Dave about GM foods, whether healthy or unhealthy. Mostly brought in Mars because of my promise to constrain myself to discussion of impactor-related topics. "Food", Pruple Panther contends, is the single most important health topic for the 21st Century. I agree with him, even though I will eat almost anything. In doing that, eating almost anything, I'm harming my body and know it. Probably not as bad for my health as smoking; but, to be honest, I'm not willing to say that as a definitive statement. Now that's bad, since almost everyone agrees that smoking is very detrimental to health. (Sorry for the bolding, Dave.)

Think that's all I have to say. Well actually, could say much more but think that I've said all that is appropriate for me to say.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2003 :  19:25:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Sea Sorbust wrote:
quote:
I didn't make my point very well and the subject is not any of my business.
Actually, neither part of that sentence is true. See below.
quote:
The Panther seems to have acceeded to the HealthForum as constituted but I think that much more emphasis needs to be placed on food.
In reality, the emphasis of the forum as a whole will be determined by the topics within the forum, and not by the necessarily short descriptors of the forum.
quote:
All the discussable, dubious aspects of health that Dave talks in the Forum description about are more in the past than in the present or the future. Not saying that they still aren't pertinent; only that the problems have been addressed and thrashed thoroughly. Scientific studies have been done; legislation has been passed or is pending.
Actually, for the most part, no, no, no, and no - which is why there's a need for a general "Health" forum to begin with. All the topics and examples are current problems (with the exception of the killer 'Nilla Wafers, and colonic podiatry, that is), many without scientific study, and little real or pending regulation, but that's a topic for another thread.
quote:
But food quality has been disintegrating steadily for decades, usually in response to more profitable methods of agriculture and distribution.
That's a perfect topic for the Health folder. You should post it.
quote:
"Food", Pruple Panther contends, is the single most important health topic for the 21st Century. I agree with him, even though I will eat almost anything. In doing that, eating almost anything, I'm harming my body and know it. Probably not as bad for my health as smoking; but, to be honest, I'm not willing to say that as a definitive statement. Now that's bad, since almost everyone agrees that smoking is very detrimental to health. (Sorry for the bolding, Dave.)
Again, these are all good topics for the Health folder, which (again) will have the emphasis that the users put into it. You and 'Panther, however, appear to prefer to discuss the folder descriptions, instead of these subjects which you feel are truly important (even his mushrooms thread wasn't really about food - it was about the medicinal qualities of fungi). I mean no offense by that statement, it is simply the way things appear to me: that your stated interests are not being well-served by talking about talking about food and health. While having such a meta-discussion got the folder named changed, and its emphasis broadened to definitely include the topics that matter to you, continuing this thread beyond that point does nothing to address the issues you want to address. You should instead follow this link, and start typing.

Your point was made and understood, and the subject is your business, if your intent is to be an active member of this community. You are capable of posting new topics in the folder under discussion, and, more importantly, you are encouraged to do so. We won't be able to gauge how much the rest of the users here are similarly interested in the specific topics about which you are thinking, unless you and/or 'Panther start threads discussing the issues that you and/or 'Panther feel are important. And right now, good descriptions or not, the most-appropriate folder in which to do so is the Health folder.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Sea Sorbust
Skeptic Friend

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  08:01:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sea Sorbust a Private Message
Regret that you spent so much time and effort on such a lost cause as trying to get me to post to the Health forum. It is hopeless. My postings are, as I firmly promised my partners, to be limited to
  • Subjects related to impactors of the 100 meter or larger range
  • Astrobiology: the Science previously known as Exobiology.
I eat almost anything; I am nearly indifferent to health subjects. What else, BTW, would you expect of someone willing to become a Martian colonist?

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  08:32:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Sea Sorbust wrote:
quote:
Regret that you spent so much time and effort on such a lost cause as trying to get me to post to the Health forum. It is hopeless.
My long-winded post may have been addressed you (and PruplePanther) directly, but was meant to be read by a much wider audience. Encouraging people to post about the topics they are interested in (or appeared to be interested in, in your case) isn't a policy I would apply selectively.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds.