More on Hollow Earth
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Piltdown
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2001 :  16:07:41  Show Profile  Send Piltdown an AOL message  Send Piltdown a Yahoo! Message Send Piltdown a Private Message
This one is a veritable supermarket of geo-weirdness: http://www.onelight.com/

One of the few features that is not directly selling something is an interview with hollow earth claimant Dennis Crenshaw. Crenshaw has to invoke the standard conspiracy theory, and lame disclaimer:
quote:
First Greg, as I've told you before, I do not know whether the earth is hollow or not. My stand on the subject is that science should be more open minded. They should admit that the accepted theory of a mantle, molten core, solid core is just that, a theory. Using establishment scientific findings I've been able to illustrate that the Hollow Earth Theory is just as possible as the accepted theory. My argument is that the possibility should at least be explored.

The echoes of creationism are obvious.
The possibility of a hollow earth is not being explored because seismological observations, replicated millions of times, have eliminated it from consideration. How does Crenshaw think we can locate earthquakes anywhere in the world as soon as they happen? It is easily demonstrated that shockwaves pass through different materials at different speeds. Even creation pseudoscientists can probably devise an experiment to prove this. Our demonstrated ability to locate earthquakes depends on these differences being known. Needless to say, the basic structure of the Earth's interior is among the best established facts in science. The experiments and observations that confirm it are easily and frequently replicated. All you need is a seismometer and some math. The theory of gravity would also have to be overthrown for hollow earth proponents to be right ("Gee, it's only a theory").
Crenshaw has been doing this for years. At one time, he was also a flat earther. Apparently, he even published flat earth and hollow earth newsletters simultaneously.

Edgar Rice Burroughs' Pellucidar series, set in a hollow earth, was (and still is) one of my favorites. Tarzan at the Earth's Core combined two of his fantasy series and may be the best of the lot. Burroughs was an intelligent and rational man, he knew that such a thing was impossible, and he assumed that his readers knew it. That was part of the fun. Burroughs, who died in 1950, was very familiar with the cranks who claimed some kind of reality for the hollow earth. They wrote to him all the time. Could he have imagined that they would still be at it, more profitably than ever, in the 21st century?

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2001 :  16:10:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
heh, I was just watching a really cheesy movie on the Sci-Fi channel about a prehistoric hollow Earth. Does anyone remember Crash Corrigan? hell I shouldn't remember that one since it was way before my time

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

Dog_Ed
Skeptic Friend

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2001 :  02:07:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dog_Ed's Homepage Send Dog_Ed a Private Message
Piltdown: "Moron hollow Earth?"

"Even Einstein put his foot in it sometimes"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.