Biometeorology
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

I Doubt It

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2001 :  06:04:49  Show Profile Send I Doubt It a Private Message
I found a recent ABC News article on this http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/DailyNews/weather_health_010815.html about this topic. As usual in the media, the focus was not on the important (read "boring") research being done on this topic but on the fringe of this subject which is what bothers me.

A search on the net revealed some work in this field related to plant response to atmospheric conditions, human response to heat and humidity, microclimates like forest canapies, etc. This article seems to be of the "Does your aching knee mean it's going to rain?" variety. Can anyone provide more insight on this topic? Does it mean that The Weather Channel will soon be giving us "Concentration Ability Forecast" graphics and will that mean people will take advantage of that excuse...

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2001 :  08:25:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
The Weather Channel already does something like this. They report on high concentrations of seasonal mold and pollen. Also the AQI for pollution. Pretty handy knowledge for some folks.
Affecting concentration or mood? I'm a little more skeptical on that one. If that was true, there are people in parts of the world who should either be thick as bricks or suicidially depressed about 90% of the time.
If the report was just pointing out that weather/temperature has an effect on our bodies, well duh. Musta been a slow news day.
Lisa

Chaos...Confusion...Destruction...My Work Here Is Done
Go to Top of Page

I Doubt It

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2001 :  17:50:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send I Doubt It a Private Message
The mold/pollen/ozone reports are something that has a pretty good basis. The article was more or less saying that weather forecasts would tell you that its a bad day for concentration levels, blood circulation or heart conditions - things like that. Although, I think you don't have to be a genius to know that a really hot day is bad for your concentration abilities and that cold days are going to turn your lips blue. The gist of the article was that weather had a subtler effect on human health and that meteorologists were going to give you warnings. It sounded like a scenario where someone could claim to their boss, "Oh, I can't do that job today. The weatherman said there is high risk of heart attack forecast..." Something goofy like that.

Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2001 :  17:52:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
Ah...I smell ratings gimmick, pure and simple...

------------

Ma gavte la nata!
Go to Top of Page

Greg
Skeptic Friend

USA
281 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2001 :  18:02:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Greg an AOL message Send Greg a Private Message
quote:
It sounded like a scenario where someone could claim to their boss, "Oh, I can't do that job today. The weatherman said there is high risk of heart attack forecast..." Something goofy like that.

People with cogestive heart failure (CHF) and chronic obstructive pulminary disease (COPD) are very sensitive to opressive heat and humidity and other weather conditions. They often end up in the hospital in the mid summer months. TD's comments about ratings are well taken. I think that the network took the sensitivity of people in disease states and ran with the concept.

Greg.

Go to Top of Page

Zandermann
Skeptic Friend

USA
431 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2001 :  18:11:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Zandermann an AOL message Send Zandermann a Private Message
chuckle......now I have an excuse!

"Can't work today...the weather report says it's a bad day for my knee!"

Edited by - Zandermann on 08/16/2001 18:14:31
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2001 :  21:36:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
I guess when I read the article my first reaction was "well, duh!" Of course the weather has an effect on how well human beings can operate. And extremes can affect pre-existing conditions. When I depolyed to Saudi Arabia, I had to double the amount of heart medication I'm on. From SD to Saudi is a big change.
Lisa

Chaos...Confusion...Destruction...My Work Here Is Done
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.