Young conservatives create liberal watch list
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2003 :  13:21:35  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
Anyone feel sympathy for the new generation of young oppressed conservatives?

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/Nightline/US/campus_watch_lists_031213-1.html

Summary: Young conservatives at the University of Texas created a watch list of liberal professors who are offending them with "liberal" ideology. Their watch list includes professors who teach black oppression, conflict theory, "emotional reactions to historical events," and white privilege. The horror!

Read the watch list itself here.

http://studentorgs.utexas.edu/yct/watchlist.html

Barf.

Maglev
Skeptic Friend

Canada
65 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2003 :  14:16:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Maglev's Homepage  Send Maglev an ICQ Message Send Maglev a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Renae

Barf.

Barf indeed...

From the article:
quote:
"It's a list of professors that need to be scrutinized, watched," said Brendan Steinhauser, a member of the Young Conservatives of Texas. "They need to be held accountable for their actions in the classroom. And they haven't been yet."

Held accountable how? Let me guess; a good ol' fashion lynchin'?
If you read the list of professors and their 'offenses', one thing shines through; It looks like a good school, filled with interesting and thought provoking teachers!

BTW, isn't it odd that liberal students dont feel the need to "watch and scrutinize" these young cons? I would be far more afraid of such a group than teachers hanging posters featuring 'Cuban revolutionaries' and whatnot. The ghost of McCarthy is never far away, isn't he? (That's the only ghost I beleive in btw )

Maglev

"The awe it inspired in me made the awe that people talk about in respect of religious experience seem, frankly, silly beside it. I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day."
--Douglas Adams, on evolutionary biology.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2003 :  19:53:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
So voicing an opinion is good provided your opinions do not offend the YCT.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2003 :  22:10:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
Awww, I luv you guys .

I think this was the same group of Young Conservatives that held the bake sale that charged different amounts, depending on what race the buyer was. How sensitive.

It seems that a lot of younger people today show little understanding of the civil rights movement, the battle for abortion rights, the fight for a 40-hour work week, child labor laws, the battle for unions, or the women's rights movement--those so-called "liberal" causes. Perhaps if those Young Conservatives understood what life was like for blacks before MLK and RFK...or how many women died as a result of back-alley illegal abortions...maybe they wouldn't be so quick to dismiss ideas that challenge white male hegemony or unbridled capitalism.

Or, maybe they'd just keep waving the flag and working toward their MBAs. Some people never "get" it; these kids feel they're rebelling against the establishment--as though the liberals haven't spent the better part of 4 decades doing that.

And frankly, we liberals do it BETTER.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2003 :  22:23:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Um, to be fair, given that 2 of the 3 professors on the YCT's "honor roll" are not conservatives, it appears to me that this watch list is not about dismissing ideas or anything else of that nature. It appears, instead, that the YCTs don't like liberals using their teaching status at a state university to "push" their political views on students. They praise an "even-handed" approach, instead.

Of course, whether or not their critiques are as well-balanced as they'd like the professors to be, I couldn't say.

On the other hand, this group is also pushing to have the Ten Commandments placed around campus, so screw 'em.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2003 :  23:31:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
I got the impression that the list is designed to intimidate professors that don't tell conservatives what they want to hear. Perhaps the lecture 2 days after 9/11 was right on the mark and it's the stupidity of the conservatives students that was the problem because they couldn't understand the point being made.

Sometimes conservatives are offended because it's their unwillingness to confront the fact that their beliefs are wrong. They then go on to mischaracterize the entire lecture in a style you come to expect. It's unAmerican to try to eliminate debate. if they don't like it they can run their frightened asses to Canada.

In other words..
Fuck 'em
@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

Maglev
Skeptic Friend

Canada
65 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2003 :  10:14:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Maglev's Homepage  Send Maglev an ICQ Message Send Maglev a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by @tomic
It's unAmerican to try to eliminate debate. if they don't like it they can run their frightened asses to Canada.

Oh no, oh no! We have more than enough of "these" people around here... And remember, gay civil unions "should" become legal soon in Canada, and pot smoking "should" no longer be a criminal offense (soon also... I'm not holding my breath, ar ar). Plus, remember that we didn't go to war in Iraq... and all those french speaking Canadians... and...

Now wait a minute, you might have something here

Maglev

"The awe it inspired in me made the awe that people talk about in respect of religious experience seem, frankly, silly beside it. I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day."
--Douglas Adams, on evolutionary biology.
Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2003 :  11:08:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Renae

Awww, I luv you guys .

I think this was the same group of Young Conservatives that held the bake sale that charged different amounts, depending on what race the buyer was. How sensitive.

It seems that a lot of younger people today show little understanding of the civil rights movement, the battle for abortion rights, the fight for a 40-hour work week, child labor laws, the battle for unions, or the women's rights movement--those so-called "liberal" causes. Perhaps if those Young Conservatives understood what life was like for blacks before MLK and RFK...or how many women died as a result of back-alley illegal abortions...maybe they wouldn't be so quick to dismiss ideas that challenge white male hegemony or unbridled capitalism.

Or, maybe they'd just keep waving the flag and working toward their MBAs. Some people never "get" it; these kids feel they're rebelling against the establishment--as though the liberals haven't spent the better part of 4 decades doing that.

And frankly, we liberals do it BETTER.

I've been thinking for some time now that a sort of "two-generation rule" applies to how long it takes for a significant proportion of a society to forget hard-won lessons.

I went to grade school before there were immunizations against many of the childhood diseases; acquired immunity against a couple of them the hard way (nothing like a ten-day hospital stay with mumps encephalitis to tune up your summer vacation). There was even a kid in my school who dragged a right leg enclosed in a brace because he had had polio. My parents' generation had seen plenty of such things while they were growing up.

Consequently, when the local authorities made the new Sabin oral polio vaccine available to grade school students gratis, every kid in my school was lined up in the auditorium, permission slip in hand. You didn't need to tell us what it was all about- we knew and so did our parents.

Fast forward forty years- I recently had a conversation with a co-worker 13 years my junior and was surprised to discover that I was the only person she had ever met who had actually had mumps. When I told her about Dave, the kid who had had polio, she actually asked me what exactly polio was.

We now have about two generations who have never seen a case of mumps, or measles, or rubella, or polio, due to the success of near-universal immunization. Does this correlate with the rise of anti-vaccination woowooism? I'm inclined to suspect so.

Similarly, my parents' generation went through a very severe object lesson in the ultimate results of unchecked authoritarianism and militarism, a lesson which many of them did not survive.

Two generations or so later, advocating notions of forcibly imposing one's will on the rest of the world and beating the lower orders into submission is once again respectable; unthinking belligerence and generally behaving like the cheapest of bullies are even fashionable among people who don't remember that a mere sixty years ago we were hanging failed conqueror-wannabees for following such ideas to their logical conclusion.

Ideological witch-hunts and blacklists ran their course just about two generations ago as well, and left us immunized against McCarthyism- for how long?

That load of aspiring Eddie Haskells at UT look to me like just another symptom of our persistent inability to retain immunity against discredited theories for more than two generations.

Damn, I get depressed thinking about this...

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  22:40:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
from Renae:
quote:

Yep. Although what exactly they where driving at escapes me at the moment; I'm tired therefore I didn't look at context or anything.

For those who want to investigate context, that's the closest I got before my attention span ran out...

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Edited by - the_ignored on 01/29/2004 22:41:48
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.