New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2004 :  21:03:34  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
(this probably should have been placed in the Humor forum)

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/01/23/elec04.h.duke.ap/index.html

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke, in federal prison after pleading guilty to mail and tax fraud, is considering a run for Congress when he is released this year, his secretary said Friday.

hm, that gives me an idea - maybe I'll run for president of the universe

;^)

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2004 :  04:03:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Sorry, that slime ball should have stayed on the run in Europe.

If he wants to run for office, maybe he could try to win William Jefferson's seat in New Orleans. I'd like to see him stomping door to door down in the lower 9th ward.

Anyway, this ain't the Louisiana of the Longs, the Allens and Edwin Edwards anymore. Grand Dragon Duke couldn't win a raffle, today.

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2004 :  04:55:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Yeah, 'Humor' is probably the best place for it, as I expect we'll get not a little amusment from his antics.

A few questions, though....

Remembering that, as mentioned in the article, it costs boo coo bucks to persue a Congressional office; where's he gonna get the bread? Is he independantly wealthy enough to 'buy' the gig? Where and who is his base of support? Has the time spent in the federal poogie put a fresh kink in his already-bent mind? Is his secretary a hottie?

I myself am looking forward to his re-appearence upon the national stage. With our current politics being what they are, a levening of hilarious idiotcy will be welcome. It'll give us a break from the mundane, everyday idiotcy.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2004 :  06:01:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Yeah, 'Humor' is probably the best place for it, as I expect we'll get not a little amusment from his antics.

A few questions, though....

Remembering that, as mentioned in the article, it costs boo coo bucks to persue a Congressional office; where's he gonna get the bread? Is he independantly wealthy enough to 'buy' the gig? Where and who is his base of support? Has the time spent in the federal poogie put a fresh kink in his already-bent mind? Is his secretary a hottie?

I myself am looking forward to his re-appearence upon the national stage. With our current politics being what they are, a levening of hilarious idiotcy will be welcome. It'll give us a break from the mundane, everyday idiotcy.

Since we have Alfred E. Neuman fumblin' and mumblin' in the White House, the conehead, "Duke of Dung", would be a fine addition to this national tragic comedy.

For the Duke's campaign cash, that'll be up to his Louisiana supporters Gomer, Jethro, and Goofy.
But from what I hear, that's a bit shakey - they've been drinking up all their cornmash profits.
Raoul and the prison butt pirates will be passing the hat.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2004 :  14:02:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
quote:
For the Duke's campaign cash, that'll be up to his Louisiana supporters Gomer, Jethro, and Goofy.
Rady, my friend, you need to visit Louisiana one day, or week. It just isn't like that here, and never was in South Louisiana. It's just the politics of a small and poor state. When someone like Edwards can declare in an election that he fully intends to line his own pockets, but at the same time will actually do something for these poor people, then he wins. Then, he wins re-election again and again because he really does follow through with his campaign promises.

The way folks see it around here is that that is a much more honest approach than the liars in Washington which serve only to collect taxes from the resident Cajuns, French, Creoles, Spanish, Native Americans, Irish and Germans, and send their young men off to war. These folks got nothing from the Fed, and were even forced to give up their culture and their language until the re-awakening of the sixties and seventies.

As for Duke, he gets money from racists and other assorted scum bags not just from La., but from across the nation. Add to the far right message of welfare reform and lower taxes, he does attract a few morons.

Please understand that we have no more white trash than any other state in the south or the midwest. As a matter of fact, we have the most unique and diverse cultures of any state...period--and that's not bias but fact! There is no other state like this in cultural diversity and natural beauty. This is a beautiful and haunting land, full of the most friendly and open people in this nation, and that's bias, but one often repeated by visitors.

Our politics was one of neccessity. That was the only way separate groups of ethnically and culturally repressed or ignored people could get anything. Today, all that has changed. Just look at the last gubernatorial election. An Asian American man, (Indian), and a Cajun Woman ran without any baggage from the good ole' boy networks. The issues were real and debated openly. The democratic candidate won in the most liberal state from Texas to Florida with, perhaps, the exception of a modern Georgia controled from the sprawling and now prep city of Atlanta.

Duke is an exception, and not one we are proud of.

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Edited by - Tim on 01/25/2004 14:08:58
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2004 :  15:50:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
Hey neighbor,
We've got our share of bubbas, rednecks here in Texas (and one goober in the White House that alot of us are not proud of, also). Sorry Tim, didn't mean to slump in the entire Louisiana state, which upon re-reading, sounds like I did. Thanks for your post.

You're right about Duke and outside money. But am surprised, can a convicted felon actually run for Congress? The article is probably just from a slow news day - media loves controversy. But, if he does or is able to put something together for a run for Congress, no doubt the real Louisiana will rise up and squash his efforts. And the media will be there ready to open his can of worms once again. It'll be his own un-doing. The guy not only sawed off his own limb, he's crashed on the ground.

-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  03:19:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
quote:
Sorry Tim, didn't mean to slump in the entire Louisiana state, which upon re-reading, sounds like I did. Thanks for your post.
That's OK. I'm happy to have the opportunity to brag about my home state.

However, people across the country tend to view La. as sort of an extension of Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi with a little Texas tossed in for good measure. What most folks don't think about is the tremendous diversity that exists in the south. What's worse, is that those of us from the south often do the same thing.

I was thinking about this diversity last night at work. I was reminded by the conversations that took place over our work radio frequencies. We of course had conversations mostly in English, but there were people speaking in Cajun French, Spanish and Vietnamese all within a period of an hour. Last week we added some Norwegian contractors into the mix. I guess that's the oilfield for you.

But, in actuality, a true southern accent is a novelty here. We often pick on the visiting 'stump jumpers, crackers, hillbillies and Texacans.' Of course, they fire right back with the Coon Ass jokes.

Randy, where in Texas are you, if you don't mind?

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  05:36:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
I'm from the Austin area, Tim.
Sounds like you described my part of Texas with the various languages being spoken. The neighborhood continues to expand, out into the world.

Duke could easily come from anywhere, espcially here. Amazes me these idiots, icons of bigotry and hatred still hang around here in our 'modern' society.

The local pointy-headed klan had a rally at the state capital here a few years ago. Just what one would expect at one of these - lot of shouting of brain-stem mentality. A few of the "Gomers, Jethros, and Goofys" supporters from here were huddled with their Confederate flags. Truely a pathetic show.

-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  05:50:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
quote:
I'm from the Austin area, Tim.

I've always wanted to visit Austin. My wife and I have plans to one day do the Blues Tour out in Texas from Houston to Austin and on up into Deep Ellum in Dallas.

Of couse, we plan on stopping by Antones.

But, that's a ways down the road. Anyway, we've already done the Blues Highway through the Delta to Memphis, and Chicago. So, Texas is next, and soon...I hope.

Edited by - Tim on 01/27/2004 05:56:19
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  16:11:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
If you like music mob action Tim, come check out the South By Southwest Music Fest. Think last year may have been around a thousand bands here in town, from across the nation and the world.
Record labels send out their agents looking for new groups to book.

http://www.sxsw.com/

It's such a entertainment over-load living here in the Austin area, it's becoming just a background buzz for me.

-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2004 :  04:16:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Thanks...We will check it out. Mayybe in '05. This year's pretty booked up. We're taking a little extra time off to celebrate our tenth anniversary. Be damned if it don't feel like two!

Go to Top of Page

gezzam
SFN Regular

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2004 :  09:19:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gezzam's Homepage Send gezzam a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Randy

If you like music mob action Tim, come check out the South By Southwest Music Fest. Think last year may have been around a thousand bands here in town, from across the nation and the world.
Record labels send out their agents looking for new groups to book.

http://www.sxsw.com/

It's such a entertainment over-load living here in the Austin area, it's becoming just a background buzz for me.

I notice you two rambling on about the blues, I am a blues lover myself and recently purchased an album from a band called the John Butler Trio. John Butler hails from New Orleans and moved to Oz a few years ago. He plays slide twelve string that will knock your freakin' socks off. I thought I could rip off a pretty good blues riff, but this guy makes me want to get my accoustic and smash it against the wall.

What makes him interesting is the American and Australian influences in his music.....uses instruments from an old two sting bass to a didgeredoo. If you are interested I can send you some mp3's for a listen.

He's also a leftie too, a lot of songs about conservation and politics. Go you good thing.

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Al Franken
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  14:58:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Maybe we should move this subject elsewhere?

quote:
I notice you two rambling on about the blues, I am a blues lover myself and recently purchased an album from a band called the John Butler Trio. John Butler hails from New Orleans and moved to Oz a few years ago. He plays slide twelve string that will knock your freakin' socks off. I thought I could rip off a pretty good blues riff, but this guy makes me want to get my accoustic and smash it against the wall.

What makes him interesting is the American and Australian influences in his music.....uses instruments from an old two sting bass to a didgeredoo. If you are interested I can send you some mp3's for a listen.
Sure, I'm interested. Sounds great...How?

The music scene here in Louisiana is huge, so I have never heard of this band, though I'm familiar with most New Orleans Blues artists. But, the music in N.O. is so diverse it's hard to keep up.

Plus, we have ourselves a homeboy playing QB in the Super Bowl, so I gotta go...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.