The New Year at SFN
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  13:30:39  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Well, sorry I have been so slow on this but I have been a bit under the weather. Flu season is upon us it has targeted me for just about everything it could throw at me. I am living better through chemistry now, even though it doesn't feel like it...

Anyway, I want to wish everyone a great new year.

There were several changes to SFN last year, many of them invisible, that made this site easier to use. @tomic is always tinkering and the results are usually good. We are blessed with a webmaster who is truly a madman...

I would also like to thank our new moderators who are actually taking an interest in their jobs. You may have noticed that there are now fewer moderators doing more. Frankly, I'm not sure if we were over or under moderated before. But I think we are finally settling into a groove...

This year we will be opening our long sought SFN store. Soon you will be able to buy SFN T-shirts and stuff with our logo. (When that happens we will finally award rickm his winnings as the logo contest winner.) These will be must have items, or ells! So far this site has operated as a labor of love meaning @tomic has foot the bill for almost everything. (I pay for the chat room.) Hopefully the store will bring in a bit of dough which will be used to make this site even better.

There is talk of having a regular Skeptic News column. We are still working out the details. Gezzam will be on that one.

An essay contest is also in the works. We might make this a monthly thing. The winner would get something from the SFN store. Plus, the winning essay, and runner ups will get published on the main page. So you might want to start thinking about an essay (that you have no doubt been dying to write) that would be of interest to other skeptics.

As always, we welcome suggestions from all members on ways we can improve this site. One such member suggestion lead us to change the name of our old medicine folder to "Health" which greatly broadens the subjects that can be discussed in that folder. ("Health" is a place where even food has a home and can now be discussed if anyone wants to start a thread about a favorite food subject...) So you see, you can make a difference.

Anyhow, we're looking forward to a big year with lots of changes in the works. I hope you all hang in here and be a part of our growing site. As always, I look forward to reading your posts, even when it is obvious to me that you are completely full of crap and cause me to have to respond. (You know who you are...)

Thanks for being SFN members.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  13:32:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Thanks for the site guys. Happy New Year.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  04:15:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
This little site is pretty much my on-line home.

Re: essays; what's the word limit, and are there any limitations as to subject?

Hoping your flu leaves you quickly. Just remember, as misreable as I'm sure you are at the moment, it could be dengue. Count yer blessin's.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  19:50:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
The Skeptic Friends Network is a great site. The members are so very knowledgeable. It is difficult for me to find anything to criticize -- at least, not from the regulars.

ljbrs

"Innumerable suns exist; innumerable earths revolve about these suns in a manner similar to the way the seven planets revolve around our sun. Living beings inhabit these worlds."
Giordano Bruno
(Burned at the stake by the Roman Catholic Church Inquisition in 1600)
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  20:23:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Filthy: Re: essays; what's the word limit, and are there any limitations as to subject?

We haven't really talked about word limits. I don't see why we would have a limit. As for the subject, as long as it will not be out of place on a skeptic site, any subject would be fine.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

PruplePanther
Skeptic Friend

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2004 :  08:40:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send PruplePanther a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

...As always, we welcome suggestions from all members on ways we can improve this site. One such member suggestion lead us to change the name of our old medicine folder to "Health" which greatly broadens the subjects that can be discussed in that folder. ("Health" is a place where even food has a home and can now be discussed if anyone wants to start a thread about a favorite food subject...)
Many thanks to you Kil and especially @tomic. For everything u'v done. Food i think is most important issue of this century. am super skeptical about quality of american food supply. But noone wants to talk about it.

Said it is that the processed food industry killed the great maryter Adele Davis for saying their junk was junk. Sneeked and fed her cancer causing stuff they did it's said. BILLIONS of food-dollars at steak. Not surprised that they would go that far to shut her up. A great and wonderful skeptic she was.

Am willing to risk my life and post my conplaints about modern american food industry rite here at skeptic friends. If the food moguls threaten u or @tomic just let me know and i'll quit posting. we live in police state worse than nazis...very dangerous, 'specially when u "put theri profits at risk." In the meantime tho......

"If I don't know where we are, I can't plot a course home." Major Carter, SG-1
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.