New Mars visitor snaps pics, takes nap
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2004 :  15:19:49  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/01/04/mars.rovers/index.html
quote:
The $400 million NASA craft, the first to land without disaster on the red planet since 1997, is expected to wake up after Martian dawn, around 5:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, when mission controllers send a transmission of the Beatles' tune "Good morning, good morning."

And more at:
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/index.html

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2004 :  19:22:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Speaking of Mars probes, Bob Park had this to say on Friday, December 26, 2003:
quote:
1. MARS: COALITION FORCES LAUNCH AN INVASION OF THE RED PLANET.
Oblivious to the frantic efforts of earthlings to make contact, Beagle II, a 63-centimeter saucer-shaped British lander, has so far maintained radio silence. Meanwhile, Beagle II's mother ship, the European Space Agency's Mars Express, successfully entered Mars orbit. It is equipped with a long-wavelength radio probe to search for subsurface water. Mars Express joined two American orbiters, Mars Odyssey and Mars Global Explorer. Two American rovers, Spirit and Opportunity, are approaching Mars. They are expected to land in January. Efforts to contact Beagle II will resume later today. The painful vigil is reminiscent of the loss of the Mars Polar Lander in December of 1999 (WN 10 Dec 99). In fact, two-thirds of the missions launched to Mars have failed. This should be put in perspective: no lives have been lost, and robotic missions to Mars cost less than shuttle flights into low-Earth orbit, where they just go in circles. The Mars missions, on the other hand, are searching for extra-terrestrial life, which is perhaps the most exciting quest in science.
I'm glad to know the win-loss ratio is inching upwards again.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2004 :  20:59:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Indeed! I am excited by what the lander might find, when (if, Mars being what it is) it wakes up.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see what the big deal finding life on Mars is. I mean, it would be great to find some, sure, but I think geological exploration should be more important.

I am more interested in the origins of the Solar System than digging up a few microbs that might not be something that we want to bring home to meet the family.

It would be all very interesting, but I'm convinced that if conditions are right, life will begin. The only question is: what conditions are right?

I think that a search for life should be a secondary objective, but, due to popular demand, it's what we've got. Better'n nothin', so let's go with it!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  11:06:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
There is a new, high quality, color photo from Spirit that is just amazing!

High-Quality Image 8 Megs!

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

walt fristoe
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  17:35:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send walt fristoe a Private Message
What a barren piece of real estate! I hope they don't find any life there, since, if they did, we'd probably be prohibited from mining the dang planet! Imagine the mineral recources that must be there! We will eventually need them for the outward push.

"If God chose George Bus of all the people in the world, how good could God be?"
Bill Maher
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  18:26:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by walt fristoe

What a barren piece of real estate! I hope they don't find any life there, since, if they did, we'd probably be prohibited from mining the dang planet! Imagine the mineral recources that must be there! We will eventually need them for the outward push.

There is so much peroxides in the top soil that no life could exist on the surface. If we dig deep enough to find water though, we might eventually find fossiles of bacteria. But since there is no noticable geological activity, the chance of finding hot-spots is non-existant, so there will be no habitat for bacteria. I believe that Mars is now a dead planet.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.