New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  18:17:09  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
He was one of the real trailblazers for kiddy tv, along with Mr. Green Jeans, Mr. Moose, Bunny Rabbit. Millions of baby boomers will be taken a-back with his passing today.

Actually got to see him and Bunny Rabbit in my hometown in Texas when the show was on a cross-country (world?:) tour. Early 60's. The place was really hoppin'.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/01/23/obit.kangaroo/index.html

The below Cpt. K show mpegs are from TV Party.com

Enter the time machine..........
http://www.tvparty.com/video4/captkangvideo1.ram

http://www.tvparty.com/g2c/captkangclean.ram

http://www.tvparty.com/video4/captkangwpsa.ram

Old rumor...
Remember the one of Mr. Green Jeans was Frank Zappa's dad?
Ha!

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Edited by - Randy on 01/23/2004 18:23:54

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  22:33:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Randy wrote:
quote:
Old rumor...
Remember the one of Mr. Green Jeans was Frank Zappa's dad?
Ha!
I had never even heard that one until I discovered Snopes.

Bye, Captain Kangaroo.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Woody D
Skeptic Friend

Thailand
285 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  22:51:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Woody D a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Randy

He was one of the real trailblazers for kiddy tv, along with Mr. Green Jeans, Mr. Moose, Bunny Rabbit.

Thank you Randy, for posting that.
He was a part of my life too. In a happier, slower paced and friendlier time.
He (and what he represented) will be missed.

www.Carabao.net
As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.
Mick Shrimpton
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  23:27:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
Here's a short bio on Mr. Greenjeans...

http://www.littleorley.com/history.htm

Actually had a real life going on before Capt.K.
As a child, I always thought the show was all these people ever did.
Interesting to read a little bit about what else he did.

The Capt. was a real World War II hero also. As a 17 yr old Marine, he saved the life of Lee Marvin and several others in his platoon, so I've read.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Paladin
Skeptic Friend

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2004 :  08:10:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Paladin a Private Message
The good Captain will be sorely missed.

Rest in peace, Captain. And watch out for those ping pong balls!

Paladin
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  04:27:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Well, I can't say that I'll miss The good Captain. I haven't watched that show since childhood, and frankly I didn't watch it much back then, either. I was more into the Jetsons, Stingray and Johnny Quest. Then, the Monkees and Scooby Doo hit the airwaves, and changed my life, sorta.

Come to think about it, Scooby Doo actually started me on the road to rational thought back when I was about ten. The bad guys always turned out to be just that--Bad guys. Now, our little girl watches the show, and the ghosts are really ghosts...How depressing!

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page

Paladin
Skeptic Friend

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  14:07:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Paladin a Private Message
[
quote:
Originally posted by Tim

Well, I can't say that I'll miss The good Captain. I haven't watched that show since childhood, and frankly I didn't watch it much back then, either...
Good point. It's probably been nearly forty years since I've watched him myself. But, like Mr Rogers, even if I didn't personally watch him as an adult, it was great to know that he was still there in the TV trenches, representing the good guys.

And kudos as well for the Scooby Doo mention. That's one of the few shows I can ever remember that consistently took a more rational approach to the so-called "supernatural." And probably the only cartoon ever to do so.

Paladin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.