New ID Tactic
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  11:03:59  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Read all about it from Chris Mooney.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  11:27:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Not terribly new, travesty first reared its ugly head with Phillip Johnson, Boalt Professor of Law at the University of CA, Berkeley. Early to mid 90's I think. He also has to do with the HIV/AIDS virus is a myth garbage.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  20:19:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Perhaps "New ID Ammunition" would have been a better title. The point is, it's probable that ID proponents will soon be pointing to this new, January 2004 Harvard Law Review piece with unwarranted glee.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  11:07:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Unfortunately.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  15:09:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
"`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe."

And what pray, do a passel of fledgling lawyers know about evolutionary biology and indeed, science in general? Doodly squat, that's what!

I don't think this adds a whole lot to the IDiot movement. It might be legal to put gibberish in schools but it still ain't science and just won't cut it in the classroom. As the GA and KS mess' have demonstrated, there are still enough intelligent and educated people out there to throttle it.

'O course, that is what the nitwits are trying to quash: intelligence and education.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  21:15:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
LOL filthy! What tune is that sung too?

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  23:05:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
While Jabberwocky can be sung, it usually sounds dreadful.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2004 :  06:39:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
It can indeed be sung and it lends it's self quite well to it, if you do it just right. When I lived ib VT, I had a couple of friends who used to perform on the Local bar room / college coffee house circute. They sang the Jabberwocky snycopated; it has to be heard to be believed.

Wonderful music!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2004 :  13:06:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Guess we can tell that's one book I've never read.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.