Health
 HELP
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blondie

USA
1 Post

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  08:51:29  Show Profile  Send Blondie a Yahoo! Message Send Blondie a Private Message

i need some help from anyone...its about gayz....im doin a research paper for my english class on if people decide to be gay or if its genetic. i have no clue where to start lookingive tryed lookin it up online but i dont get nethin that will help me so if anyone knows where to look can you pleas help me?! Thanks a bunch

BUBBLEZ, u see the bubblez, i see the bubblez, MY BUBBLEZ

gezzam
SFN Regular

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  09:45:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gezzam's Homepage Send gezzam a Private Message
Use Google......be creative in your search criteria....

Just type in a question like "Is homosexuality genetic?" and sift through them....the search I did found stuff from both schools and churches....mostly churches though, they seem to be obsessed with gay people.....

It aint that hard

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Al Franken
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  11:23:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Hi Blondie, and welcome!

My own take on it is that it's, if not genetic, at least compulsory for the individual.

The reason I think this is simply that social pressures and the accompanying stigmatas are such that very few people would actually choose to be homosexual. It wasn't so long ago when 'rolling queers' was considered something of a sport among high school kids. Perhaps it still is, I dunno. I do know that gays are still getting murdered in rather nasty ways and some of our more vicious, and stupid, fundies rejoice every time it happens. In short, you'd have to be a little crazy to actually choose to be gay.

Take this with the required grain of salt -- I am not any sort of genetic researcher.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  14:07:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
IIRC there were some studies, done with the size of the hypothalamus, most of the criticisms were whether the link with the hypothalamus size were causal or correllary. Did the size of the hypothalamus cause homosexuality or was it a result of homosexuality?

One place to start is at your .edu sites, most of these are research papers or thesis. I don't believe the question of causation has been solved. If you can get access, I would check Nature, Science, JAMA, and the New England Journal of Medicine. Your local public library should have copies of these in their periodicals. Hopefully they have the articles stored on computer, otherwise your stuck treading paper. Realize that you can't check periodicals out, so take plenty of change with you for photocopies. Skim, see if relevant info, then copy to read later. You might need to contact someone locally at one of the universities to help you translate some of the info.

Have fun, sounds like an interesting paper. Post it here, might be fun to read, just remember, we're likely to critique the paper, all to the better for you though.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  18:15:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Well, from the abstract, a paper called The etiology of anomalous sexual preferences in men seems to be the sort of resource you're looking for. Ask your school's librarian for help in getting a full copy of the article (print out the linked page).

There's also A critical review of recent biological research on human sexual orientation. And Homosexual orientation in males: evolutionary and ethological aspects is a few years old, but may still be good.

Actually, there are probably many more articles available on the subject, I just found these as promising-looking resources in the first 50 or so PubMed search results for "homosexuality genetics NOT HIV".

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.