SkyMall, not for skeptics
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  21:12:27  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Hey, I saw this in SkyMall, you know the magazine in planes where you can look at all the cool stuff you would never need. Anyways, I saw this one item and I couldn't stop laughing. It was on a hand massager. It claimed that massaging different parts of the hand would actually massage different parts of the body. So rubbing your hand in a certain location would be the same as giving you a back massage.

I wish I took that out and scanned it.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  21:51:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message
Ermmm. Was it really a "hand" massager? Did the ad copy use the word 'stimulate' at least once per paragraph? Was it being marketed to relieve 'tension'?

Nudge, nudge.

Wink, wink.

Say.....no.....more.

(Reikii massage. Hmmm. Reikii. So that's what they're calling it these days.)

- TW

- TW
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  22:23:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Just another take on "reflexology," it sounds like.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Woody D
Skeptic Friend

Thailand
285 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  00:11:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Woody D a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky
It claimed that massaging different parts of the hand would actually massage different parts of the body. So rubbing your hand in a certain location would be the same as giving you a back massage.

Yes, but part of the body are connected to other parts. And touching one place can influence another.
Don't know what the thing is that you saw but it could very well have some medical truth to it.
nlm

www.Carabao.net
As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.
Mick Shrimpton
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  06:44:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Reflexology is a whole lot of nonsense.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  09:18:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Wow, I posted this to get laughs at, and someone thinks its true?

Yes, it is true that the entire body is connected. However, rubbing one muscle will not sooth another. The only thing connecting one muscle to the other is nerves. Nerves can only send signals, and there is no signal for a massage.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Woody D
Skeptic Friend

Thailand
285 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  13:59:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Woody D a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

Wow, I posted this to get laughs at, and someone thinks its true?

I find many so called or self called skeptics to be far too serious. Be careful what you post!
quote:

and there is no signal for a massage.

Thanks for the reply. I don't understand but that's ok. We'll just laugh it off.

oh! btw, ps. perhaps this should have been put in the humor folder, just a suggestion.

www.Carabao.net
As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.
Mick Shrimpton
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  15:02:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Then all posts should go under the humor folder

"Thanks for the reply. I don't understand but that's ok. We'll just laugh it off."

Thats the point, there is nothing to understand because the entire hand massage thing does not make any sense whatsoever.

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  17:47:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
Ricky wrote:
Then all posts should go under the humor folder

I disagree. You should at least also have a 'sad'-folder, for example for the "gay ban" or the "condo"-item.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  18:39:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Good point. But that should go under funny too because they claimed that they didn't know it was against the constitution. I find that really funny.

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  18:47:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
I think that's the saddest part of it. If the people who make your laws don't realize such an obvious point as this? But, because I'm only in the USA since januari I still got a lot of friends in the Netherlands. They'll probably enjoy the story very much :)

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  18:50:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
As one of the moderators of the Health Folder, I declare this thread to be in its rightful spot.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.