Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

believer

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  18:30:04  Show Profile Send believer a Private Message
hi im new here and i have a theory that we were implanted here by a life form from outherspace.cuz if you look back this planet wasnt ours,dinosaurs where living here peacefully until something kill them all in one shot.i think they(creators) choose this planet to implant us here and leaved us with a whole religion thing that they used for us to conform and be how they want us to be and they come back sometime to check there creation. that to me make sense compared to the idea of a god, how pathetic that is what i think so plz gimme your opinions on this and whats your ideas of why we are here thx

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  19:04:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Hi Believer, and welcome!

Oh dear, where do I start?

The demise of the dinosaurs happened long before our species appeared. Current thought has it that an impact, possibly several, from an asteroid or comet changed weather patterns so that the great reptiles could no longer survive. But they left behind their decendents; the birds. This occured about 65 million years ago. Our ancestry has been traced to some 3.5 million years, if I'm not mistaken (this is all off the top of my head). There is currently a skull dating back to 6 million years, but it's still under review. In short, we are a very young species.

I think I'll give you a site that can explain far better then I:

http://www.talkorigins.org/

Do browse, indeed study this site. It is the best and your questions will be answered by some of the scientists who study the subject.

Again, welcome to SFN!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  19:06:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
Hi Believer, welcome to the skeptic friends network.

Well, I think our origins are explained by the theory of evolution. However, I am curious about your theory since I've never studied anything like it after I read the books of Erich von Daniken. So I'd like to ask you what you think happened between the extinction of the dinosaurs (65 million years ago) and the beginning of homo sapiens (I thought about 20,000 years ago, but I might be wrong about that).

Also, I'd like to know how you'd describe "living peacefully together", since I thought Dinosaurs lived together as peacefully as my sister's mice and my cat. But of course, I might be wrong there.

Besides that, I'm very curious what evidence you have that makes you think we are planted here by aliens, and why the aliens would plant us here in the first place.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

believer

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  19:16:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send believer a Private Message
as peacefully togheter i mean living like dinosaurs do and why they planted us here i dont know maybe experience or see how far they can go i think that because they appear sometimes and that make sense to me more than a god or something like that

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  19:24:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Homo sapiens sapiens first appear about 120,000 years ago. The extinction of the dinosaurs, yes, about 65 million years ago. Leaves some 64,880,000 intervening years.

Here's the real kicker: if just humans were "seeded" from somewhere else, why is it that we share over 98% of our DNA with chimps? And if mammals were what were "seeded" (which makes humans not "special" again), why do we share as much DNA as we do with other tetrapods?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

believer

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  19:27:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send believer a Private Message
here what i think about that if they wanted to plant us here they surely check they place out and made us to adapt to this planet
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  19:33:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Anyone see Mission to Mars?

Hehe, jk.

Well, if aliens did plant us here, it would not agree with the fossil record or with human DNA (how we have parts left over from other organisms DNA that are not active). The only way I could see that making sense is if aliens planted the first singled cell life form here, but we already have possiblitlies of how to create such a thing from non organic materials (and don't forget about the self-copying RNA, it needs no protiens or enysmes to copy itself).

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  19:40:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
believer, you appear to be making the argument that whatever "planted" us made it appear that we were always part of the evolutionary process. In other words, we only look like we evolved, when really we didn't.

But indeed, we look exactly like we evolved here, so unless you've got independent evidence that aliens were involved, there's no reason to postulate them.

And Ricky: one theory of the origins of life on this planet is that it started with organic molecules from a crashed comet. This isn't a wacky nutso idea, but it seems difficult to prove, and people are still plugging away at non-cometary, originated-right-here ideas.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  20:19:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
Believer, another question comes to mind after reading your posts. How do you think the dinosaurs arose? If you have no problems with the evolutionary account up to the evolution and extinction of dinosaurs, why change the story after they became extinct?
And if dinosaurs didn't evolve, how did they arise?

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
Go to Top of Page

believer

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  21:21:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send believer a Private Message
dinosaurs are probably all natural there like the top evolution of the earth due to the mixing of the elements of the earth
Go to Top of Page

Woody D
Skeptic Friend

Thailand
285 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  00:00:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Woody D a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by believer

hi im new here and i have a theory that we were implanted here by a life form from outherspace.

You've been watching too many Sci-fi movies, right?
Please tell me you don't think your theory is of your own imagination.
Although I've had this story rolling around in my head for a number of years, don't know how to write so never put it on paper. Than low and behold I saw a similar one on TV. Of course it's possible for more than one person to have the same thought without knowing the others idea. But still, you thoughts are sci fi.
I can name off several movies I've seen with your same theme. All fiction. Meaning, made up, with no basis of proof.
But hey! I like watching them. Doesn't mean I have to believe them.

Sorry, you wanted to know why we think we are here.
I as a Buddhist/atheist, don't care. Why look back? As for the future, I care about my imortality. So through my work I will live forever. I am a cre8or.

www.Carabao.net
As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.
Mick Shrimpton
Edited by - Woody D on 04/12/2004 00:06:48
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  01:40:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I was thinking of Astralopithicus at 3.5 mya, our ancient ancestor.

Believer, there is no evidence whatever that we were 'seeded' here on earth. Further, there is no evidence that any alien species has ever even visited this planet, UFO hysterics to the contrary. And when you read a bit about the real history, the fantastic story of how species evolved, the whole 'space aliens' thing becomes a rather dull scene by comparison.

Here's a report of a study done on an ancient creature that lived long before the dinos:

quote:
The most primitive foot to walk on land has been described by scientists.
It belonged to an animal that lived about 345 million years ago - in what is now Scotland. the skeletal remains are the oldest in the fossil record to show bones that had the ability to move on land.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2089873.stm

And something on our ancient ancestors:

quote:
Apr 2003:A new study has claimed an age of over 4 million years for the australopithecine skeleton from South Africa. If true, this would make it one of the oldest known australopithecine fossils. (Partridge et al. 2003)

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/recent.html#daka

And:

quote:
The species here are listed roughly in order of appearance in the fossil record (note that this ordering is not meant to represent an evolutionary sequence), except that the robust australopithecines are kept together. Each name consists of a genus name (e.g. Australopithecus, Homo) which is always capitalized, and a species name (e.g. africanus, erectus) which is always in lower case. Within the text, genus names are often omitted for brevity. Each species has a "typespec.html" which was used to define it.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/species.html

More blasts from the past, in no particular order:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/2437/icthyo.htm

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/bacteria/bacteriafr.html

A careful reading of these should keep you busy and out of trouble for a pretty good while.

Also, they link to yet more info clearly demonstrating that the the ancestors of me and thee originated right here on good ol' terra firma and not from some cosmic interference by creatures beyond the Solar System (who themselves would have had a similiar history).

Er uh, you're not a Raelian, are you? Or worse yet, a Scientologist? I do hope not.

Anyhow, enjoy the read(s).

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 04/12/2004 01:43:28
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  07:43:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
believer wrote:
dinosaurs are probably all natural there like the top evolution of the earth due to the mixing of the elements of the earth

Wow, you're getting way beyond me here. But you still haven't told why 'the mixing of the elements of the earth' isn't enough for us poor humans.

Tom

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  12:24:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
Believer welcome,
I guess your name says it all. Skeptics are impressed with facts. Beliefs and suppositions without facts are nothing more than myths.
The facts of DNA indicate that all terrestrial life is related. All mammals are very closely related. The DNA of different primates is almost indistinguishable from each other.
The other little problem with the belief that you have shared is that there is no evidence that there is any other life in the universe. I would assume that there is life outside of the earth but there is no proof. There is certainly no evidence that any intelligent extraterrestrial life has visited earth.

You gave your theory as an alternative to God creating man. There is of course no reason that a creator is needed at all. There is no evidence that there was a creator.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  09:35:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Well, the Raelians have been covered, von Daniken postulated the 'Ancient Astronauts' to explain the building of the pyramids in Egypt - of course not being able to explain how the pyramids could be created without high technology - and the designs occuring in South America covering several miles, then there are all the scifi books from the ridiculous David Weber's crashed ship, which they destroyed to existing moon and replaced it with their ship, to many more.

Believer, the problem with your hypothesis, is again the same as with the god hypothesis - it's ability to change where it can not be tested nor proven false, because there's always a bit that wasn't thought about that explains away the questions.

The only thing we can know for certain is that which we can repeatedly test and get the same answer time and again. With the alien seeding idea, there are several assumptions, a technology high enough to travel here for starters. Our nearest celestial neighbor, Centauri - visible in the Southern Hemisphere - is approximately 3.5 ly distant. If relativity works as you approach light speeds in travel the individuals who travel here would return to a world considerably differnt from that which they left. Everyone they know would most likely no longer exist. These leaves the major question of why bother? A radio conversation with a near species would be more viable than attempting travel. Hence, SETI. There would be only a 3.5 year lag time in communication, 8 minutes between here and the moon, several more minutes for communications between here and Mars. Radio signals travel at c.

Evolution of humans here on earth from earth species is the best explaination that we have. I'd check out talkorigins like filthy suggested. Then, for more info on interstellar travel, which is the biggest hang up in any concept of extra-terrestrial intelligent origin or seeding, I'd check out www.badastronomy.com. Their forum is likely to have someone capable of answering any questions you might have regarding that particular issue. Since I am a poor source for the mathematics involved in relativity.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  10:03:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Trish
A radio conversation with a near species would be more viable than attempting travel. Hence, SETI. There would be only a 3.5 year lag time in communication, 8 minutes between here and the moon, several more minutes for communications between here and Mars. Radio signals travel at c.

8 minutes between here and the Sun. (Earth-moon is just above 1 second) Radiosignals from here to Mars will depend on where in the orbits we are. Otherwise, Trish, you are right.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds.