Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  13:17:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Go View-->text size-->Largest on the browser menu.

Notice how the CSS fonts don't change with the other, older fonts? Are you guys using 21" monitors at 1600x1200 with your font sizes cranked?

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  13:22:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
So now we are at .8em size

Lookit what I found:

* An em is a typographers unit of measurement that is proportioned to the width of a capital letter "M." It will vary from font to font.

Q: Why use EM, instead of PX or PT?
A: EM sizing remains scalable, unlike px & pt, so visitors retain control of font sizing with Ctrl+scroll (scroll w/mousewheel) & their OS/Browser settings.

Example: Hold down Ctrl, then scroll with your mouse scroll wheel. The em & page text scales, while the px & pt text remains the same!

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  13:48:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
I have ended up at 12px(or 12 pixels) after reading up on it more and the general consensus is to NOT allow for resizing since it can lead to heavy distortion of layout.

@

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  17:03:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
The black-on-dark-blue writing on the bars on the "active topics" page (and PM pages, etc.) has got to go. Need high contrast, and the white was fine.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  17:12:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Heh heh. It will go. It is merely a side effect of what I have been doing. I made a generic CSS definition for P, B, TD and BODY. Unfortunately, while those are white fonts they include B(bold) tags which make it go to the default color(Black). It was really ugly a while ago Dave. I already made the change from Bold to a specific CSS class for those white headers. It's just a lot of grunt work to do them. There are a tremendous number of font tags in this code but there will be a lot fewer when I am done because of the P,B,TD and BODY classes.

@

Go to Top of Page

Woody D
Skeptic Friend

Thailand
285 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  18:24:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Woody D a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

<still squinting> Remains too small for my old eyes. Reading any kind of a long post is not an option.

Oh, I never read long posts anyway.
Hey! I just logged on here for the 1st time since yesterday and something else is a miss. Was going to go to the 'Report Problems' folder and saw these.
Forget about the letter size....what's wrong with the color?
The blue is too dark over the words on the bar that seperates the folders, I can't see what the subjects are.

quote:

What was wrong with it the way it was?

That's what I say. Not just here but seems like everywhere, no one is satisfiyed leaving things alone. I get so mad when AOL chnges stuff around....just as you are getting used to the new/old one.
I can't wait to get back to Windows 3.0 That was great and I can't stand having to buy a new computer every 4 or five years.
Listen all you computer nurds......stop messing with my head.
Or else.

www.Carabao.net
As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.
Mick Shrimpton
Go to Top of Page

Woody D
Skeptic Friend

Thailand
285 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  18:31:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Woody D a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by @tomic
Unfortunately, while those are white fonts they include B(bold) tags which make it go to the default color(Black). @

Oh, Ok. Didn't read this before complaining. Guess you know about THAT problem.
BUT still..... Filthy and I want answers....
Why mess with things....if it ain't broke and all that......

www.Carabao.net
As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.
Mick Shrimpton
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  18:35:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Well, my girlfriends has surprised me with a romantic weekend away so I am putting everything back as it was for the weekend. Fortunately I was smart enough to save the originals. Such is my genius.

@

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  18:59:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Gets weirder and weirder, don't it? I mean, only half of the post timestamps on the Active Topics page got CSSed.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  19:49:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Excellent!

I used to hang at Internet Infidels a lot, but not so much since they went to a tiny font. And I see this a lot; I don't bother with CNN News either, for the same reason.

This forum is a sort of home base for me and I was shocked and appaled when I couldn't seed whut wuz wrot.

Gots another odd animal in the works, but it might be a little while.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Woody D
Skeptic Friend

Thailand
285 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  21:00:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Woody D a Private Message
quote:

Well, my girlfriends has surprised me with a romantic weekend away so I am putting everything back as it was for the weekend. Fortunately I was smart enough to save the originals. Such is my genius.

@

Yes, yes...@ we all know you are a genius
Didn't know you had time for things like that.
Have fun
But hurry back! And don't do anything we wouldn't do.

www.Carabao.net
Mick Shrimpton
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  19:24:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
I put the code back but I made sure the font wasn't tiny. At least it's not tiny on my end. It actually seems a bit bigger but I have checked rendering times for the site and it does run faster. This is one of the reasons to use CSS. Do any of you guys use themes besides the default theme? I am now thinking that might be an issue.

@

Go to Top of Page

Woody D
Skeptic Friend

Thailand
285 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  20:35:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Woody D a Private Message
quote:
This is one of the reasons to use CSS. Do any of you guys use themes besides the default theme? I am now thinking that might be an issue.

@

Themes? You mean like purple? Right now I think I'm 'normal'. But I like to make things different if given a choice.
Do what you gota do but why does it have to be faster? Just asking!
nlm

www.Carabao.net
Mick Shrimpton
Go to Top of Page

NubiWan
Skeptic Friend

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  22:04:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send NubiWan a Private Message
Well this sux's for me. How 'bout sending me an e-mail when yas have finished making it better..?

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  02:37:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Agreein' with Snake, here. I'll happily trade speed for ledgability.`

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.