New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

WinAce

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  20:45:15  Show Profile  Visit WinAce's Homepage  Send WinAce an AOL message  Send WinAce an ICQ Message Send WinAce a Private Message
I've massively rewritten an earlier takeoff on the design argument for God's existence. It's basically one big reductio ad absurdum. The underlying running gag is that all these organisms are staggeringly complex, hence designed--but they're all creatures that give Hollywood horror movies a good run for their money. Stuff like eye-parasitizing worms and zombie-mind-control barnacles. Things that, if truly designed, should make us very scared of ever encountering the designer.

This article is one of the oldest things I've written, first dating to 2002 (I think). In the latest incarnation, I add a huge number of new (really horrendous) organisms, add a large number of colorful pictures, take many more stabs at Behe and his ilk's logic, and so on and so forth.

WARNING: DO NOT read this if you're even remotely squeamish, as indicated above. ;)

Suggestions, critiques and comments are still welcome. Thanks to everyone who sent ideas and links and such in the past--unfortunately, I lost my list of contributors in a reformatting, but you know who you are.

Organisms That Look Designed: http://users.rcn.com/rostmd/winace/designed_organisms/index.htm

verlch
SFN Regular

781 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  17:10:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verlch an AOL message Send verlch a Private Message
Well I think Gods enemy is very good at designing creatures that can destroy you!!!!

What came first the chicken or the egg?

How do plants exist without bugs in the soil, and bugs in the soil without plants producing oxygen?

There are no atheists in foxholes

Underlying the evolutionary theory is not just the classic "stuff" of science — conclusions arrived at through prolonged observation and experimentation. Evolution is first an atheistic, materialistic world view. In other words, the primary reason for its acceptance has little to do with the evidence for or against it. Evolution is accepted because men are atheists by faith and thus interpret the evidence to cor-respond to their naturalistic philosophy.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. II Timothy 4:3,4

II Thess. 2:11 And for this cause God shall
send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

You can not see the 'wind', but you can see its effect!!!!

Evolution was caused by genetic mistakes at each stage?

Radical Evolution has 500 million years to find fossils of fictional drawings of (hard core)missing links, yet they find none.

We have not seen such moral darkness since the dark ages, coencides with
teaching evolution in schools. (Moral darkness)

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places, EPH 6:12.

"Thus, many scientists embracing naturalism find themselves in the seeming dilemma recently articulated by biochemist Franklin Harold: "We should reject, as a matter of principle, the substitution of intelligent design for the dialogue of chance and necessity [i.e., Darwinian evolution]; but we must concede that there are presently no detailed Darwinian accounts of the evolution of any biochemical system, only a variety of wishful speculations."
Edited by - verlch on 05/06/2004 20:02:10
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  17:24:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by WinAce
WARNING: DO NOT read this if you're even remotely squeamish, as indicated above. ;)

I agree. It's a good thing many of the pictures are small, because, some of them are... eh... well, not for the squeamish.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  17:26:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by verlch

Well I think Gods enemy is very good at designing creators that can destroy you!!!!

And here I thought all along that the Christian God was the only one that could create life. Are you saying that Satan creates living creatures too?

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  17:43:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Already caught it from II. Excellent!

Here's another candidate for your Oog File: The Komodo Monitor. This animal lives in virtual symbiosis with a varity of lethal bacteria in it's saliva. Even a minor bite from it can be a virtual death sentence. If it's prey, usually deer, should escape it, the unfortunate animal will most likely die slowly from raging infections. The lizard that originally bit the prey might not be among the ones to eat it, but due to a powerful sense of smell, it will soon happen upon another's kill.

The lizard pays a price for this killing aid. It's mouth is a foul and festering pit of swollen and bleeding gums, and loose teeth (these regenerate as they fall out). It salivates constantly, great ropes of slime often hanging from it's mouth, to the bacteria's advantage, of course.

Young Komodos don't have these bacteria until they are big enough to share a kill with infected animals. They've got to be pretty large, as the adults tend to be cannibles.

Hope you like that one.

Ah verlch, my friend! I'm glad to see you're still around.

Edited to remove a request for answere from verlch. I see in another thread, he has responded. Sorry, my bad.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 05/06/2004 17:53:56
Go to Top of Page

WinAce

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  18:13:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit WinAce's Homepage  Send WinAce an AOL message  Send WinAce an ICQ Message Send WinAce a Private Message
quote:

Well I think Gods enemy is very good at designing creators that can destroy you!!!!

Attributing such creative power to Satan is heresy, my friend. (I'll get the blowtorch.)

Thanks for the suggestion, filthy.
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2004 :  15:16:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Well I think Gods enemy is very good at designing creatures that can destroy you!!!!

So now Satan's in the life designing business? I guess that would explain Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, etc.

But seriously, verlch, how do you know which creatures were designed by who?

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

verlch
SFN Regular

781 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  11:30:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verlch an AOL message Send verlch a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by R.Wreck

quote:

So now Satan's in the life designing business? I guess that would explain Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, etc.

But seriously, verlch, how do you know which creatures were designed by who?

The ones that destroy us and hurt us are probubly not ones designed by God, but then what do I know I wasn't there.

What came first the chicken or the egg?

How do plants exist without bugs in the soil, and bugs in the soil without plants producing oxygen?

There are no atheists in foxholes

Underlying the evolutionary theory is not just the classic "stuff" of science — conclusions arrived at through prolonged observation and experimentation. Evolution is first an atheistic, materialistic world view. In other words, the primary reason for its acceptance has little to do with the evidence for or against it. Evolution is accepted because men are atheists by faith and thus interpret the evidence to cor-respond to their naturalistic philosophy.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. II Timothy 4:3,4

II Thess. 2:11 And for this cause God shall
send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

You can not see the 'wind', but you can see its effect!!!!

Evolution was caused by genetic mistakes at each stage?

Radical Evolution has 500 million years to find fossils of fictional drawings of (hard core)missing links, yet they find none.

We have not seen such moral darkness since the dark ages, coencides with
teaching evolution in schools. (Moral darkness)

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places, EPH 6:12.

"Thus, many scientists embracing naturalism find themselves in the seeming dilemma recently articulated by biochemist Franklin Harold: "We should reject, as a matter of principle, the substitution of intelligent design for the dialogue of chance and necessity [i.e., Darwinian evolution]; but we must concede that there are presently no detailed Darwinian accounts of the evolution of any biochemical system, only a variety of wishful speculations."
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  12:10:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
The ones that destroy us and hurt us are probubly not ones designed by God, but then what do I know I wasn't there.

Could you please back that up with some biblical reference? Book, chapter and verse please.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  12:21:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:

Then, bumblebees are probably not designed by God, becasue one of them had a very nasty sting. And I KNEW that horses (at least the one that bit me) were spawned by Satan.
I'm not sure about the sparrow that did shit on my head when I was a child. I wasn't injured, but it sure hurt my feelings.
Lions and tigers kill and injure people every year.

Please don't forget to check out your logic as you leave.
I don't know if I could find a single protestant church/pastor/priest in Sweden that would agree with you that Satan was capable of creating living creatures/beings.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  22:38:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message
quote:

A few questions:
Is not God the one and only creator anymore?
Where is the evidence that everything IS created?
Would creating creatures that destroys us be a concept too alien for a god that killed most of the animals and humans on this planet?

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." -- Carl Sagan
Go to Top of Page

WinAce

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2004 :  21:18:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit WinAce's Homepage  Send WinAce an AOL message  Send WinAce an ICQ Message Send WinAce a Private Message
Check out how some clueless atheists fell for my parody and started ad-homming me at SciForums. Most entertaining, that was. I decided to play along for a while, but unfortunately got exposed before it really took off. I think the highlight was a biologist posting his personally-authored peer reviewed journal article on evolution at me to show how creationism was stupid.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2004 :  22:32:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Great stuff!

Back in the day, I would sneak a new screen name into the "Evolution is Truth" room at AOL and ask what possible environmental pressure would have caused us to evolve shorter arms than our ape cousins. Seems to me, I would argue, that longer arms would come in handy for reaching high places and for carrying lots of things. Proof that evilution doesn't happen. Then I would just sit back and enjoy the flaming...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2004 :  03:29:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Haha. Good spoof!

I've tried to do that sort of thing a couple of times, but never got one going.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  17:29:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:

"...what do I know, I wasn't there." Excellent! Verlch, you have taken the first step towards a real scientific inquiry. That is the basic statememt that we make about many things in the the world. So how do we get from there to "it seems reasonable that..."? We examine the evidence, formulate a hypothesis based on the evidence, then test and retest the hypothesis, alter it as new evidence is uncovered, and gradually come to an understanding about what happened even though we weren't there to see it.

So let's look at your hypothesis that "(t)he ones that destroy us and hurt us are probubly not ones designed by God". Name just one creature you believe was designed by someone other than god, and the evidence that leads you to that hypothesis, then we'll test that hypothesis. We'll take it one step at a time and see where it leads us.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  02:56:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Isn't a creation created by a creation of a omnipotent god that gods creation?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.81 seconds.