New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  10:27:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by verlch
<snip>WHAT DO YOU GUYS NEED AN INTERVIEW WITH GOD?<snip>

Yes, I need an interview with God. If you can arrange it without me dying, I'd greatly appreciate it.

EDIT: Dave, this thread is getting sloppy. I thought you were going to strictly moderate it. Please feel free to delete this post as part of your moderation. I promise I won't call you a Nazi.

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 06/14/2004 10:30:05
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  10:38:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Chaloobi wrote:
quote:
EDIT: Dave, this thread is getting sloppy. I thought you were going to strictly moderate it. Please feel free to delete this post as part of your moderation. I promise I won't call you a Nazi.
Yeah, I thought so, too, but verlch apparently feels more like flinging all-caps crap around. The intent of the moderation was to keep things on-track in order to help verlch get his assertions supported (by being able to simply delete antagonistic replies), but verlch would rather shout "censorship" than take advantage of the opportunity afforded him. Just goes to show that some people won't be satisfied even when the playing field is tilted in their favor.

I'm chalking it up as another "learning experience," at least until verlch himself tells me that he's ready to get serious, in which case I can tidy up this thread, or start yet another one.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  12:56:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Dave, do you think it's really worth while to start another thread or even try and fix this one? I'm convinced that all we'll ever get out of verlch is more of the same.

Indeed, it's long past reached the point that the only reason I respond to him at all and at such length is for the benefit of any others who might be interested in whatever topic he's fled from. V is a closed door with stuck hinges and a rusty lock, and nothing on the other side.

Let him come and go wherever/whenever he pleases; we'll bat him about at our leasure. Seems fair, no?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  19:48:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
filthy wrote:
quote:
Dave, do you think it's really worth while to start another thread or even try and fix this one?
I said I would do that if verlch tells me he's ready to start getting serious. Given that his one-and-only attempt at defending 'The words "woman" and "female" derive from womens' innate subservience to men' missed the mark by not offering support for the etymology of the words being based upon an innate subservience (which wouldn't require Biblical "evidence" at all), I'm not sure that verlch can address these arguments in a direct and serious way. All he did was reiterate that he thinks the Bible is correct about women, and further dig himself into the assertion hole by implying that "modern men" get all their information from the Internet, and consider ancient texts to be wrong, always.

I say again, verlch: that isn't "debate."

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

verlch
SFN Regular

781 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  23:41:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verlch an AOL message Send verlch a Private Message
quote:
Actually, the term "missing link" is obsolete, at best, and a complete misrepresentation of evolutionary theories at worst. I would like to see evidence from you, verlch, that any current-day evolutionary biologist uses the term "missing link." And I'd also like you to define what you mean by "missing link."

1. Why does life appear fully formed and not in stages?

2. Why can we not observe life transforming and morphing before our very eyes?

What came first the chicken or the egg?

How do plants exist without bugs in the soil, and bugs in the soil without plants producing oxygen?

There are no atheists in foxholes

Underlying the evolutionary theory is not just the classic "stuff" of science — conclusions arrived at through prolonged observation and experimentation. Evolution is first an atheistic, materialistic world view. In other words, the primary reason for its acceptance has little to do with the evidence for or against it. Evolution is accepted because men are atheists by faith and thus interpret the evidence to cor-respond to their naturalistic philosophy.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. II Timothy 4:3,4

II Thess. 2:11 And for this cause God shall
send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

You can not see the 'wind', but you can see its effect!!!!

Evolution was caused by genetic mistakes at each stage?

Radical Evolution has 500 million years to find fossils of fictional drawings of (hard core)missing links, yet they find none.

We have not seen such moral darkness since the dark ages, coencides with
teaching evolution in schools. (Moral darkness)

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places, EPH 6:12.

"Thus, many scientists embracing naturalism find themselves in the seeming dilemma recently articulated by biochemist Franklin Harold: "We should reject, as a matter of principle, the substitution of intelligent design for the dialogue of chance and necessity [i.e., Darwinian evolution]; but we must concede that there are presently no detailed Darwinian accounts of the evolution of any biochemical system, only a variety of wishful speculations."
Go to Top of Page

verlch
SFN Regular

781 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  23:46:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verlch an AOL message Send verlch a Private Message
quote:
And a document which echoes the sexism of two thousand years ago is valid......how? Societies evolve over time. 2000 years ago, women were regarded as property. The Bible accurately reports this. If you haven't noticed, society has moved on.

What God has to be PC, to make you happy. You have the American dream buddy! With your Co-husband and your divorece papers. With 2/3 of American marriages ending in divorece and 85% of the time the arguementive wife leaves, with your kids and your house! Enjoy hell! Because that is exactly what it feels like fella. Independant minded women, completely dependent on your. There is social order, I think some might be happy exploring metrosexuality! And Homosexuality, because that is where this nation is headed unless some 'real' men step up to the plate!

I'm sure the lion of the pride, or the rooster of the hen house would love to share the title 'alpha male' with every other hen and lioness! Wow what a leader! Darn sexism!

How do plants exist without bugs in the soil, and bugs in the soil without plants producing oxygen?

Underlying the evolutionary theory is not just the classic "stuff" of science — conclusions arrived at through prolonged observation and experimentation. Evolution is first an atheistic, materialistic world view. In other words, the primary reason for its acceptance has little to do with the evidence for or against it. Evolution is accepted because men are atheists by faith and thus interpret the evidence to cor-respond to their naturalistic philosophy.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. II Timothy 4:3,4

Radical Evolution has 500 million years to find fossils of fictional drawings of (hard core)missing links, yet they find none.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places, EPH 6:12.

"Thus, many scientists embracing naturalism find themselves in the seeming dilemma recently articulated by biochemist Franklin Harold: "We should reject, as a matter of principle, the substitution of intelligent design for the dialogue of chance and necessity [i.e., Darwinian evolution]; but we must concede that there are presently no detailed Darwinian accounts of the evolution of any biochemical system, only a variety of wishful speculations."
Edited by - verlch on 06/14/2004 23:56:12
Go to Top of Page

verlch
SFN Regular

781 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  23:53:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verlch an AOL message Send verlch a Private Message
quote:
You assume that if man does not rule women, then the converse must be true. In reality, men and women can exist as equals. Couples can make decisions by discussing it and coming to a concesus. One need not rule the other.

What feminist womens study course, at what univerity, Did you just graduate from? Hey I think if I married you I would turn into a metrosexual and just for kicks Id let you steer the ship, then you can leave me because you think I'm a wimpy! Hey and then we could argue about everything under the sun and you could take our kids so they could be raised without a father, and most likey as a fatherless child a male will end up being a criminal. Sounds like the American dream for you! I could pay you alimoney and child support for kids that might not be mine, wow sounds like Westurn paridise!

If that happens to me again I won't have a blood pressure because I'll be dead at 45!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  02:28:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

filthy wrote:
quote:
Dave, do you think it's really worth while to start another thread or even try and fix this one?
I said I would do that if verlch tells me he's ready to start getting serious. Given that his one-and-only attempt at defending 'The words "woman" and "female" derive from womens' innate subservience to men' missed the mark by not offering support for the etymology of the words being based upon an innate subservience (which wouldn't require Biblical "evidence" at all), I'm not sure that verlch can address these arguments in a direct and serious way. All he did was reiterate that he thinks the Bible is correct about women, and further dig himself into the assertion hole by implying that "modern men" get all their information from the Internet, and consider ancient texts to be wrong, always.

I say again, verlch: that isn't "debate."

I don't see it happenin', bro. The above three posts demonstrate that that. The man just ain't studyin'.

But, I promised I'd be good, so I'm leaving him, for the nonce, alone. I will mention that I and my brother were raised by a single parent, and my daughters as well, by myself. Oddly, none of us are in jail and my brother is a tenured Professor of Biology at a major university. Go figger that one, verlch.

And no, I'm not saying which U he's at. He gets enough weird shit in the mail as it is.

Edited to ask, WTF is a 'metrosexual'? And are there any other kinds of 'sexuals' that I've not heard of?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 06/15/2004 02:33:07
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  06:15:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
verlch wrote:
quote:
1. Why does life appear fully formed and not in stages?

2. Why can we not observe life transforming and morphing before our very eyes?
These questions fail to answer my questions to you, but...

1. Because the precursors to life as we know it wouldn't have fossilized, and the likelihood of finding sedimentary rock goes down the farther back in time one goes.

2. Who says we can't? There are several dozen examples of speciation occuring in the last 100 years or so.

filthy wrote:
quote:
I don't see it happenin', bro. The above three posts demonstrate that that. The man just ain't studyin'.
You're absolutely right, but I had to give him yet another opportunity. I'm an idealist in that way.
quote:
Edited to ask, WTF is a 'metrosexual'? And are there any other kinds of 'sexuals' that I've not heard of?
Watch "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy." And from the Word Spy:
A metrosexual is a clotheshorse wrapped around a dandy fused with a narcissist. Like soccer star David Beckham, who has been known to paint his fingernails, the metrosexual is not afraid to embrace his feminine side. Why "metrosexual"? The metro- (city) prefix indicates this man's purely urban lifestyle, while the -sexual suffix comes from "homosexual," meaning that this man, although he is usually straight, embodies the heightened aesthetic sense often associated with certain types of gay men.
I'd like to embrace my feminine side, but it keeps telling me it's got a headache.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  06:36:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
I'd like to embrace my feminine side, but it keeps telling me it's got a headache.

Heh-heh, good one!

Perhaps I should watch more TV. But thus far, I don't think i'm missing a whole lot. But thanks for the def.

Edited to further thank you for the Word Spy link. It is now safely in my collection.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 06/15/2004 06:49:11
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  06:44:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

quote:
You assume that if man does not rule women, then the converse must be true. In reality, men and women can exist as equals. Couples can make decisions by discussing it and coming to a concesus. One need not rule the other.

What feminist womens study course, at what univerity, Did you just graduate from? Hey I think if I married you I would turn into a metrosexual and just for kicks Id let you steer the ship, then you can leave me because you think I'm a wimpy! Hey and then we could argue about everything under the sun and you could take our kids so they could be raised without a father, and most likey as a fatherless child a male will end up being a criminal. Sounds like the American dream for you! I could pay you alimoney and child support for kids that might not be mine, wow sounds like Westurn paridise!

If that happens to me again I won't have a blood pressure because I'll be dead at 45!

Considering that I'm

1) Male
2) Married

I don't think that will work out.

I base my opinions on real life, son. Sharing the responsibility and discussing the options gives two perspectives to each problem. I've noticed that I got better results and solutions by talking to my wife and going ahead with a solution that we both agree on.

Sounds like you have real trust issues with women. When my first marriage broke up due to infidelity, I had a hard time trusting again. That's normal. Perhaps you could use some professional counseling.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  09:24:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
What feminist womens study course, at what univerity, Did you just graduate from? Hey I think if I married you I would turn into a metrosexual and just for kicks Id let you steer the ship, then you can leave me because you think I'm a wimpy!
I find this so hilariously funny.
Making up preconceptions and bogus assertions seems to be his favourite pastime. With a minimal effort he could have investigated Valiant Dancer's sex by looking at his profile, but oh no... It's much more safe and comfortable to Verlch to assume that Val was a woman.
Verlch ability to live in our world's reality truly is challenged.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

verlch
SFN Regular

781 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  10:03:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verlch an AOL message Send verlch a Private Message
Valiant Dancer

What a gay womans name is that?....But I thought....whaaa...What man would come up with that name? Perhaps a 'MetroSexual'....Lol...

Go to Top of Page

verlch
SFN Regular

781 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  10:06:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verlch an AOL message Send verlch a Private Message
Neo Pagan, married twice, owner of one 12 year old furry kid named Calypso...

So please Val Dancer...enlighten us on how your first marriage went. Was that the American dream or what? My first was a rotten as a tomato and is still costing me money, and I don't even get any action from her!!!!

Go to Top of Page

verlch
SFN Regular

781 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  10:10:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verlch an AOL message Send verlch a Private Message
quote:
Perhaps you could use some professional counseling.

Thanks man I don't need Professional Political Correctness Counseling!

Been there done that years ago! With the first one, it amounted to the professianl telling me to get in touch with my feminie side, while the women needs to be my roles, assertive, aggressive, strong, independent. Blah Blah...Look at Canada and look at feminized Europe, that is what is coming to a home NEAR you!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.41 seconds.