Breath of God
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thecor

Italy
27 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  21:27:17  Show Profile Send thecor a Private Message
Is anyone familiar with the concept of "the breath of god" as it relates to the theory of the big bang?

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2004 :  06:19:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by thecor

Is anyone familiar with the concept of "the breath of god" as it relates to the theory of the big bang?

Nope. Feel free to enlighten us about it!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2004 :  06:44:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I've heard of it, but that's about the extent of what I know. I dismissed it as more apolgetics from the OEC crowd.

Unfortunatly, the concept of God(s) can't be tested, thus it follows that "the breath of God" as related to the beginnings of the universe can't be either. Anything that cannot be tested, cannot be falsified and therefore is outside the realm of science.

I think that it is possible, even probable that we will never know for certain where the universe came from and how it happened to form.

But it's being worked on.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

thecor

Italy
27 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2004 :  10:17:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send thecor a Private Message
Unfortunately I do not have references to provide as I had read this some time ago, before I figured out that I needed to keep them. The concept as I understand it is that during the initial expansion after the big bang, there was a slight (something like 1X10e-15 seconds?) pause in the expansion. As I remember, if that hesitation hadn't happened, the chemistry and physics we have today would not have been possible as the 'universe' was too hot and expanding to fast for protons to capture electrons, forming atomic hydrogen and later helium.
Again, I apologize for not having references, but I was hoping someone here may know more of process. There is a possibiity that I had read this shortly after the big bang was first postulated and is now outdated.
Edited for clarity
Edited by - thecor on 05/29/2004 10:19:47
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2004 :  15:26:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Thecor, i think you'll need to get some references.
I can't recall hearing anything about any kind of pause in the expansion, at any of the astronomy-lectures I attended at the university.

Why an Old Earth Creationist would speculate about that escapes me.
The Bible does not mention anything about God breathing matter into existance. Such a hypothesis would be even less science than the idea that the Genesis Account is an analogy of common cosmology.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2004 :  18:32:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
It's just another in a long-long line of religious methaphors.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

thecor

Italy
27 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  08:36:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send thecor a Private Message
My research on the web has yielded little by way of reinforcement of the initial question. The best that may fit is the transition of phase from isotropic inflation at 10e-35 sec.:
"During this creation and annihilation of particles the universe was undergoing a rate of expansion many times the speed of light. Known as the inflationary epoch, the universe in less than one thousandth of a second doubled in size at least one hundred times, from an atomic nucleus to 1035 meters in width. An isotropic inflation of our Universe ends at 10-35 second that was almost perfectly smooth. If it were not for a slight fluctuation in the density distribution of matter, theorists contend, galaxies would have been unable to form (Parker)." http://ssscott.tripod.com/BigBang.html

I think I may have to resort to searching Science magazines from the early 60's....or before....
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  15:46:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
I just did a Google search of "Breath of God". A great number of sites were listed -- all religious, some hymns, etc. I doubt that "Breath of God" has anything to do with science. If it did, the site would be listed prominently.

ljbrs

"Innumerable suns exist; innumerable earths revolve about these suns in a manner similar to the way the seven planets revolve around our sun. Living beings inhabit these worlds."
Giordano Bruno
(Burned at the stake by the Roman Catholic Church Inquisition in 1600)
Edited by - ljbrs on 06/12/2004 15:53:07
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2004 :  07:58:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
What you describe cor is just that the particles were not distributed perfectly even during this period, which led to the clumping of material. This can be easily explained with things like shockwaves and such. Really though to expect a perfect distribution is far fetched at best, considering particles are not stationary objects only influenced from outside forces.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2004 :  11:31:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
The breath of god was hot.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

SciFi Chick
Skeptic Friend

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  09:59:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send SciFi Chick a Private Message
So far, I found this: The Breath of God and the Big Bang
An Introduction to the Theory of Stress Line Mechanics

I don't know anything about stress line mechanics, and there were no reviews of this book, but I suppose it's a beginning. I'll keep looking.

Edited to add: It's by a fellow named Leon Lloyd.

"There is no 'I' in TEAM, but there is an 'M' and an 'E'." -Carson

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud."
-Sophocles
Edited by - SciFi Chick on 08/03/2004 10:05:14
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.