Our Skeptic Forums
 General Skepticism
 Psychic Nonsense Strikes Again...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Evilgoldtoesock

3 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  18:59:30  Show Profile Send Evilgoldtoesock a Private Message
www.ummo.cc

Ohhhh boy.

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  19:41:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
All I want to know is..... where can I get some of whatever that guy is smokin? hehe!

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

welshdean
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  02:21:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send welshdean a Private Message
Just a few gems from http://www.ummo.cc/.
quote:
This planet feels gaseous and liquid. This will be the first time for me viewing Jupiter and I must say that it is vast.

'gaseous' & 'vast'..... Without RV, would we have ever known?
quote:
The ANHD work concludes "life not". [on Mars]

And we spent all that money...!
quote:
The planet [Mars] is dead although I do see evidence of water and perhaps with further study, scientists will discover some prebiotic chemistry. This is valued information that will help us understand how early life formed here on Earth!

It will only be science and scientists that offer us any worthwhile information never mind prebiotic chemistry. I hope 'the valued info he refers to is the info from science and not the claptrap on his website.
My review.... his site is a waste of cyberspace.

"Frazier is so ugly he should donate his face to the US Bureau of Wild Life."

"I am America. I am the part you won't recognize, but get used to me. Black, confident, cocky. My name, not yours. My religion, not yours. My goals, my own. Get used to me."

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."

---- Muhammad Ali

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  02:52:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Yeah, he's pretty well out there. I especally liked his demon pages and his Christ's Crucifiction speculation.

One thing I noticed lacking was the appeal for money or offer of services that usually goes hand-in-hand with this sort of thing. Perhaps I missed it?

Thanks Evilgoldtoesock, and welcome to SFN!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  07:18:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
So, I followed the "SUICIDE IS NO ESCAPE" link, and the A-Bomb photo link, and wound up on a page "predicting" that Bush will be re-elected. He goes on to say,
The human being is now being programed for extinction.

As a psychic, I am watching you die.
Well, since suicide is no escape, we might as well call the Elder Gods, make friends with Yog-Shothoth, and try to get eaten first.

Aaron appears to be extremely depressed.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

TG
Skeptic Friend

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  07:24:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send TG a Private Message
The appeal for money:

quote:
The next terrorist act within the United States of America is preventable.

For the initial sum of 2,000,000 (US), I will rework any and all previous sets of related data and solve for a location, time, and method by which the terrorist act is intended. This information will be derived as per psychic functioning, the practical application and acquisition of non-historical data, and viewed probabilities.

Exactly one half of this initial sum will be given to a non-human related charity.

The sum of 10,000,000 (US) will be due upon the successful intervention of any and all terrorist actions relative to aforementioned data.

I am alone in my skill, natural talent, and other abilities associated with psychic functioning. There are no other psychics, remote viewers, or odd else capable of preventing the next terrorist act within the United States without my work."

In other words, if something doesn't happen, he's responsible.

Tom

"It's better to be shot out of a cannon than squeezed out of a tube."
H.S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  07:50:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
And if something does happen, he's responsible since he's attempting to blackmail a million bucks for himself up front out of the government. If he didn't claim to be the sole source of reliable information, it would just be stupid, but since he does claim to be the only route to preventing this event, it's extortion, pure and simple.

And he probably thinks he's taken the moral high road.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Evilgoldtoesock

3 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  09:29:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Evilgoldtoesock a Private Message
Well, is this:

A. Illegal in the United States
and
B. Worth Prosecuting?

Should we attempt to get an investigator on this guy? What laws, exactly, is he breaking by making this claim?

I think Aaron needs help, but it certainly doesn't look like he's willing to accept it.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  10:10:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Evilgoldtoesock

Well, is this:

A. Illegal in the United States
and
B. Worth Prosecuting?

Should we attempt to get an investigator on this guy? What laws, exactly, is he breaking by making this claim?

I think Aaron needs help, but it certainly doesn't look like he's willing to accept it.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

A) So far, no. He is attempting to compel funding by making vague threats. Although he is not saying that he is going to direct nor participate in the threat. (Akin to the "Gee, this is a nice place. Shame if anything should happen to it. I can see to that for 20 quid a week.") One would have to take his claim of exclusive knowledge seriously to even approach illegality.

B) No. It would tend to indicate that he can actually perform what he claims to. Something a court of law would quit belly laughing long enough to dismiss out of hand.

He is offering a non-existant service, but since he is not mailing this out nor e-mailing this out, he's broken no postal laws on mail fraud. You can pretty much wax psychotic on a website and make all kinds of claims, but as long as you do not urge violence or breaking the law, they really can't touch you. (First Amendment) If this weren't the case, Hoagland and Lieder would be in jail now. (Lieder actually was pushing for people to kill their pets for their own safety.)

This doesn't approach extortion because the service he is offering is non-existant.

He's a whack-job. Entertianing, but harmless.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Edited by - Valiant Dancer on 06/17/2004 10:13:34
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  10:43:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Val wrote:
quote:
This doesn't approach extortion because the service he is offering is non-existant.
He thinks it does, yerhonor, which shows that it is his intent to extort money from the Government, even if he cannot make good on his portion of the proposed deal.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  11:28:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Val wrote:
quote:
He thinks it does, yerhonor, which shows that it is his intent to extort money from the Government, even if he cannot make good on his portion of the proposed deal.

But if the gubbamint doesn't take him seriously, then it isn't illegal. Extortion is in the eye of the alledged victim. The gubbamint can't even charge him with withholding information of criminal activity.

I can threaten the gubbamint that if they don't pay me $1 million USD that I won't tell them the location of the next terrorist attack as told to me by Realian aliens. Besides providing some TIA shmuck with a few giggles, there's not much that's gonna happen to me.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  12:07:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Are ya tellin' me that de gubbmint don't take da Raelians seriously? And what about project Stargate (or whatever it was called), which showed that at least part o' de gubbmint took Remote Viewin' seriously fer some time?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  12:35:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Hmph. I missed the extortion deal. Have to go back and look again, I guess.

I'm impressed that he's going after millions right off the bat. Most grifters such as Geller, Hinn, and Robertson start out much smaller.

Agreein' with Val; amusing but harmless. Thus far.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  12:41:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Are ya tellin' me that de gubbmint don't take da Raelians seriously? And what about project Stargate (or whatever it was called), which showed that at least part o' de gubbmint took Remote Viewin' seriously fer some time?

Evidentally they were doin some o' de chemicals that they were trying to use to interrogate prisoners. Dey still be looking into Remote Viewin' now on ta 30+ years. De still ain't got crap, but de keep tryin'. Since it's been such a huge failure, de would reasonably know if sumbody was tryin' to hoodwink em'.

And it was Project Deep Black Magic, not Stargate.

Jes goes ta show ya how the gubbamint throws away money han' over fist.

Go to Top of Page

byhisgrace88
Formerly "creation88"

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  17:35:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send byhisgrace88 an AOL message Send byhisgrace88 a Private Message
Wow, this guy's a nut.

What I found most amusing about it, was how he seems to think that everyone reading has the upmost respect for him.

I especially got a laugh, as everyone else did from his "give me money, and I'll tell you whats gonna happen" line.

Very funny site....even if that's not what he was gooing for.

Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desire, not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Evilgoldtoesock

3 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  20:04:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Evilgoldtoesock a Private Message
It is very funny, and up until now everything he's done has been completely benign. I love people who remote view aliens...

Anyway, better to let him go on this one I think. No sense in denying somebody their fun.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.