New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  12:38:15  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
Is it illegal to hire a voodoo practitioner to put a curse on someone?

What if I'm a little superstitious and Dave W. very openly hires a voodoo practitioner - or whatever - to put a curse on me? And while there's no evidence at all that such a thing could ever possibly be real, I'm still shaken up by it. Has Dave broken a law? Harrassment, maybe? Intimidation? What if he did it secretly? Is that illegal?

What if he very specifically asks the voodoo practitioner to afflict me with cancer. Then a few months later, during a routine exam, I am diagnosed with prostate cancer. (Of course it would only be a profound coincidence) Does that make a difference in all this? If it was common knowledge that Dave bought the curse, would I have any standing in court to sue him?

-Chaloobi

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  13:35:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
No, of course not! Voo doo is just another weird myth.

Absolutly! You can't go around seriously scaring people in such a way.

Sadly, it would all depend upon how the lawyers spun the episode, although I'm not sure that you could make a criminal matter out of it unless fear of Dave W (a reprehensible charecter to start with, so you might actually have a case ) made you do something to harm yourself.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  17:42:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Mu-hahahahahahahaha!

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  18:18:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message
Psychosomatic voodoo effects (if there are such) rely on the victim being made aware of the curse. Probably enough of a threat there to be grounds for a temporary restraining order if not a permanent one.

Of course you'd have to watch out for Dave using his telekinetic powers to release the parking brake when you're standing downhill from a car.

- TW

- TW
Go to Top of Page

Woody D
Skeptic Friend

Thailand
285 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  23:25:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Woody D a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by chaloobi

Funny you should ask! Although voodoo wasn't specificly asked about, I did just talk to a lawyer about something similar. There's this 'person' I really, really hate and have thought of threatening the witch. I wanted to know about the so called 'hate crime' law because I know I'd be the #1 suspect should the bitch get murdered, I wanted to know about my 1st amendment rights, etc. if I should call this worm any ethnic names.
Anyhow, the long and the short of it is, the lawyer told me, just don't (do it).
There, that solves that problem.

www.Carabao.net
As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.
Mick Shrimpton
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  05:43:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tw101356

<snip>
Of course you'd have to watch out for Dave using his telekinetic powers to release the parking brake when you're standing downhill from a car.

- TW

This is the second reason why I would never live in San Francisco.

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 05/14/2004 05:45:18
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  05:44:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Woody D

quote:

Funny you should ask! Although voodoo wasn't specificly asked about, I did just talk to a lawyer about something similar. There's this 'person' I really, really hate and have thought of threatening the witch. I wanted to know about the so called 'hate crime' law because I know I'd be the #1 suspect should the bitch get murdered, I wanted to know about my 1st amendment rights, etc. if I should call this worm any ethnic names.
Anyhow, the long and the short of it is, the lawyer told me, just don't (do it).

Ugly breakup?

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  06:00:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

What if I'm a little superstitious and Dave W. very openly hires a voodoo practitioner - or whatever - to put a curse on me? And while there's no evidence at all that such a thing could ever possibly be real, I'm still shaken up by it. Has Dave broken a law? Harrassment, maybe? Intimidation? What if he did it secretly? Is that illegal?

What if he very specifically asks the voodoo practitioner to afflict me with cancer. Then a few months later, during a routine exam, I am diagnosed with prostate cancer. (Of course it would only be a profound coincidence) Does that make a difference in all this? If it was common knowledge that Dave bought the curse, would I have any standing in court to sue him?

Long and short of it. Harrassment is in the eye of the beholder. If you feel harrassed and can prove that

1) Dave (or whomever) actively informs you of such a curse and you feel threatened by it multiple times.

2) You can prove that he contracted for such a service. (oddly, it doesn't cover situations where practioners actually pray for the harming of someone through their religion.

Voodoo is a little unique because, like Santeria, curses require bloodletting of some sort. (Animal sacrifice, etc)

While it is not illegal to hire someone to put a curse on someone else, it is illegal to harrass that person by telling them you did such a thing.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2004 :  10:35:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Hey, Chaloobi! Shall I fix you up now, or were you purposefully ignoring my joke?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2004 :  11:55:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
Oh, that was a JOKE? Hell, I thought you were serious. I went and got scheduled for a cancer screening. (Just in case.)

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2004 :  06:09:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Well, it was supposed to be an obvious joke. Was it too subtle?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2004 :  08:29:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Dave, I suspect subtlety is something you're rarely, if ever, accused of.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2004 :  08:30:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2004 :  12:28:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Chaloobi wrote:
quote:
Well, nobody said anything about it, and it was in effect for a week. I figured someone would mention it with at least a giggle.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Woody D
Skeptic Friend

Thailand
285 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  08:06:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Woody D a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Woody D

quote:

Ugly breakup?

Usually it's the woman who, complains about her partner and is so demanding and tries to bleed a man dry. Don't you just hate that? I hate women partly because of that.
No, in my case it's a family member who stole money and was just an all around bitch. Well, she a women, I should have expected that.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  08:51:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Snake:
Usually it's the woman who, complains about her partner and is so demanding and tries to bleed a man dry. Don't you just hate that? I hate women partly because of that.
No, in my case it's a family member who stole money and was just an all around bitch. Well, she a women, I should have expected that.

On the other hand, it was a man who took you to the cleaners in a business deal that I know about. Perhaps you could say that that man was acting like a woman since woman (the ones you don't personally know anyway) are all bad. It never seems to occur to you that there are a few bad apples from both genders. And lots of really good apples too, again, from both genders. Bigotry is such an ugly thing. It serves only to perpetuate baseless hatred and never ever allows for productive conflict resolution.

Your continuing misogyny is unfortunate. I would like to see you back up this statement. "Usually it's the woman who, complains about her partner and is so demanding and tries to bleed a man dry." While you can tell me that you are initialed to your opinion, and that may be true, that will never demonstrate that the above quote has any merit. Back it up (you can't) or all we have is you happily showing us that you are a bigot, unwilling to self subject yourself to a bit of critical thinking...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.