Google-ad on Skeptic Friends
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  19:12:21  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
When I logged on today, I found a small change in the Forum.

What I noticed was that we now have an AD sponsored by Google(?), with links to other web-sites. It gave me a good laugh to see the two first links sponsored point to Answers in Genesis, and 7day-creation.
What better sites for an AD than SFN?

Edit: I didn't read the links carefully. It was Answers in Creation, not Genesis.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.

Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 06/17/2004 21:35:14

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  19:44:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Well you know they pay per click and all...

But please no one go click-happy. One will do

It is kind of ironic that such websites could fund skeptical activity isn't it? Ideally the ads would truly appeal to skeptics but this gives you an idea of how primitive the technology still is.

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  21:36:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by @tomic

Well you know they pay per click and all...

But please no one go click-happy. One will do

It is kind of ironic that such websites could fund skeptical activity isn't it? Ideally the ads would truly appeal to skeptics but this gives you an idea of how primitive the technology still is.

@

Are the links supposed to be specially targeted for our audience? (in that case, even more )
How do those links work? Does it still count for SFN if I right-click and pick "open in new window"?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 06/17/2004 21:44:04
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  21:49:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
I'm not sure about the Open in new Window but the ads are supposed to be carefully targeted. They are better than many I have seen but there is still a lot of work to be done in that area.

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

satans_mom
Skeptic Friend

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  20:52:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send satans_mom an AOL message  Send satans_mom a Yahoo! Message Send satans_mom a Private Message
After I read this post, I noticed a few advertisements down at the very bottom of the webpage.

Currently, I see two advertisements for "real, accurate psychics," and answers to Creationists from Creationists. Heh.

Yo mama's so fat, she's on both sides of the family.

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  21:15:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

. . . What I noticed was that we now have an AD sponsored by Google(?), with links to other web-sites. It gave me a good laugh to see the two first links sponsored point to Answers in Genesis, and 7day-creation.
What better sites for an AD than SFN?

Edit: I didn't read the links carefully. It was Answers in Creation, not Genesis.

I went to the 'Answers in Creation' site. Their unscientific poll (as all Internet polls are) regarding what their readers think showed that 45% of them are young earth creationists, while 16% are old earth progressives (whatever that means). In third place with 13% was the atheist crowd. I forget how the rest of the other 4 or so possible answers came up, but that seems to be the break-down of the site-- only perhaps 20% belived in evolution (or theistic evolution, which, as I understand it, means that you follow the evolution thing but also go to church)...
Go to Top of Page

Terryt88
Skeptic Friend

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2004 :  15:58:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Terryt88 a Yahoo! Message Send Terryt88 a Private Message
quote:
originally quoted from @atomic:

It is kind of ironic that such websites could fund skeptical activity isn't it?

I think that is one of the coolest, not to mention funniest things I have seen in awhile.

Irony... It's so ironic.

Now for me to go and get my free psychic reading!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds.