General Skepticism
 Soccer and Life
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

coberst
Skeptic Friend

182 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  05:41:54  Show Profile  Visit coberst's Homepage Send coberst a Private Message
Soccer

I recently made a complaint about how quickly the topic of the original posting was dragged off into the woods. After two or three replies any similarity to the original posting was purely coincidental.

A member, with a soccer metaphor, chided me. The comment was that like soccer if the player does not keep up with the ball then he cannot play the game.

I have a 9-year-old grandson who plays soccer. The most noteworthy aspect of his team's games is that all the boys on the team go chasing off after the ball. Everyone wants to get a kick at the ball. I also have a 15-year-old granddaughter who plays soccer. The noteworthy aspect of her team's play is how organized is the effort. Only one or two players follow the ball and their kicks are controlled by a purpose. Their purpose is to make a goal.

I browse lots of forums and have been unable to find one for 15-year-olds.

Any youngster can play the 9-year-old game but it takes some effort to learn the rules of the game to play it well. The rules of the game for 15-year-old thinkers is critical thinking. Critical thinking is the science of reason. Our schools are beginning a massive effort to teach critical thinking. However, we who are older must learn critical thinking on our own. There are many books out there on this matter. Check one out from your local library and discover a new world you never imagined existed.

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  09:54:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
coberst wrote:
quote:
I recently made a complaint about how quickly the topic of the original posting was dragged off into the woods. After two or three replies any similarity to the original posting was purely coincidental.

A member, with a soccer metaphor, chided me. The comment was that like soccer if the player does not keep up with the ball then he cannot play the game.
Color me confused: after looking at your other posts to these forums, I see nobody chiding you with soccer metaphors after you'd complained about the thread drifting off-topic. Is this something which happened in Private Messaging?

Understand, however, that topics do drift, and I, as just one of the moderators here, will let them drift where they will, unless I take a deep interest in the subject. Otherwise, as far as I'm concerned, it is mostly up to the participants in a thread - moreso the Original Poster than anyone else - to keep the drifting to a minimum.

After all, real life conversations drift all the time. These forums aren't dedicated to formal debates (unless someone specifically asks for one), they're dedicated to discussion.

And I must also say that I would be glad to help minimize the drifting, by putting my moderator foot down, if someone asks me to.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

coberst
Skeptic Friend

182 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  11:04:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit coberst's Homepage Send coberst a Private Message
Thanks for your reply David,

I am just a frustrated forums advocate. I note that all forums I am aware of seem to be for the purpose of entertainment. That is fine but I long for a forum that attempts to move forward in some intellectual endeavor. I suspect there are such things going on and I have not seen them. It seems to me that Internet forums are an ideal place for those who think alone without access to a group of cogent examiners.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  12:03:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
We - the Skeptic Friends Network - are attempting to move forward. At the moment, however, most of our projects are on the drawing board, rather than in an implementation phase. Details will become available, when they become available. Seriously, efforts are being made, the major obstacle to these endeavors is that most (if not all) of us must work on SFN-related things in our spare time. It frustrates me that I can't draw a paycheck from doing what I do here. My dream is that someday, I will be able to do so.

And please, call me Dave. Kil is the David around here.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  20:08:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Friend coberst, if you want to get a discussion going and keep it tightly on track, simply post your topic and a set of ground rules. We will try to adhere to them, most of us anyway, and when we digress, remind us. By the bye, I know doodly-squat about soccer.

Looking forward to the first discussion.

Edited for some truely remarkable spelling.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 06/18/2004 20:10:32
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.