Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  10:08:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by rickm

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. If you will not give me all of the money, I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Well done! It's sort of an ancient Roman bank robber's note (hehe), and I see you've stumbeled across the same site I did whilst trying to hunt up lost references. Good'n, ain't it?

I was thinking of changing 'catapult' to 'trebuchet', that most magnificent of seige engines, but these weren't known in Roman times. But can you imagine robbing a bank with a trebuchet?!

Message me an address and I will send you a genuine and sumptious De Naploi stogie!

However, DO NOT tell the M/C club upon pain of catapult. Those iggnernt bastards need the intellectual excersize.

In truth, I didn't think the mystery would last long here. Too many smart people in residence.

Edited to share the site with all:

http://www.yuni.com/library/latin.html

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 07/17/2004 10:15:08
Go to Top of Page

rickm
Skeptic Friend

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  10:54:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send rickm a Private Message
Filthy:

http://www.geocities.com/latinpage2001/index.html
This is where I found the translation using google.

I'm not much of a cigar smoker myself, the odd time I will smoke a cuban cigar but much prefer smoking a pipe, and cigarettes of course. Personally I have not aquired the taste for good cigars and really can not tell the difference between a fine cigar or a cheap one. Although I appreciate your offer, perhaps it would be better enjoyed by someone who shares an appreciation for fine cigars.

It would be quite funny to see someone try to rob a bank with a trebuchet though. What would even be funnier is how they could remain inconspicuous (not something you could hide in a trenchcoat very easily) while bringing it to the bank to be robbed.

I downloaded plans on the internet once on how to build cardboard trebuchets, never got around to doing it though.

How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?
-- Woody Allen, Without Feathers, 1975
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  12:47:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
"It would be quite funny to see someone try to rob a bank with a trebuchet though. What would even be funnier is how they could remain inconspicuous (not something you could hide in a trenchcoat very easily) while bringing it to the bank to be robbed."

Yes, it would be real funny watching 20 guys haul an trebuchet and a boulder, take 3 hours to set the damn thing up, and then rob the bank. I think people would catch on though

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  14:24:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
:laughter: You guys are too much! :laughter:

A De Napoli cigar is what is called in the venacular, a Guinea Stinker, 'cause origionally, they're Italian. I love 'em, those odd times that I smoke tobacco (mostly, I dip snuff or chew). Dom Parodi is another good'n.

I smoke perhaps 1/2 of one, cut off the cinders, then chew the delicilous remander. Yum.

Yes, I am slightly mad.

'K. I'll save the stogie for whichever lout figgers it out in the M/C club, which I am off to for a meeting shortly.

Rickm, thanks for the link. I don't have time to check it out now, but will tomorrow.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

N C More
Skeptic Friend

53 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2004 :  18:46:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send N C More a Private Message
http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Well, some folks will believe anything if it's presented correctly. Just look at the "dangers" surrounding this substance!

"An open mind is like an open window...without a good screen you'll get some really weird bugs!"
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2004 :  19:18:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
N C More:
http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Well, some folks will believe anything if it's presented correctly. Just look at the "dangers" surrounding this substance!

Darn! Now what am I going to use to make my coffee?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2004 :  19:52:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
wow, that joke has expanded a bit :) Funny stuff!

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.