Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Pseudoscience
 Has anyone ever heard of this: Gym Science?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Don2cypup

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2001 :  11:49:21  Show Profile  Visit Don2cypup's Homepage  Send Don2cypup an AOL message Send Don2cypup a Private Message
Greetings, Skeptic Friends!;

I recently heard the term "Gym Science" used by a "fitness expert", claiming it to be nonsense. I contacted this person for more input about this term, but heard no response from them yet. My main concerns are in medicine and health, but I felt that if "Gym Science" does indeed exist, certainly there is some sort of information about it..I am searching for information on it, but haven't been too successful, yet. I have to wonder if this is a "real" pseudoscience, or a term conjured up that was used to suit certain people. Any input from any of you out here would be much appreciated...Best Regards to you all...Donna Svabik

"Skepticism travels the highways of information..Blind faith leads to a dead-end"
" Endorsing with Pride: Quackwatch, NCAHF, and The Veterinary Task Force of NCAHF"

Web Site: http://hometown.aol.com/don2cypup/myhomepage/profile.html

Greg
Skeptic Friend

USA
281 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2001 :  18:21:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Greg an AOL message Send Greg a Private Message
quote:
I recently heard the term "Gym Science" used by a "fitness expert", claiming it to be nonsense.

The only thing that I can think of regarding this term is the "science" of nutritional supplementation. These supplements are advertised heavily in fitness magazines. It's interesting what aperson will take to help make themselves stronger. I actually used creatine monohydrate for a couple of months. There is no easy way.

Greg.

Go to Top of Page

Don2cypup

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2001 :  18:33:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Don2cypup's Homepage  Send Don2cypup an AOL message Send Don2cypup a Private Message
quote:

quote:
I recently heard the term "Gym Science" used by a "fitness expert", claiming it to be nonsense.

The only thing that I can think of regarding this term is the "science" of nutritional supplementation. These supplements are advertised heavily in fitness magazines. It's interesting what aperson will take to help make themselves stronger. I actually used creatine monohydrate for a couple of months. There is no easy way.

Greg.

Hello, Greg!;

You could very well be correct about the supplementations. As an avid weight trainer since 1985, that term "gym science" gave me the impression it entailed anything to do with gym activities. This is why I requested clarification when I read it..I have still received no response, either. Imagine if I do hear that lifting dumbbells and barbells, including various strength building apparatuses has been now dubbed as a pseudoscience called "Gym Science!"...[which was the impression I got]
Best regards to you...Donna...

"Skepticism travels the highways of information..Blind faith leads to a dead-end"
" Endorsing with Pride: Quackwatch, NCAHF, and The Veterinary Task Force of NCAHF"

Donna Svabik
Go to Top of Page

comradebillyboy
Skeptic Friend

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2001 :  19:19:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send comradebillyboy a Private Message
quote:

Greg.

Hello, Greg!;

You could very well be correct about the supplementations. As an avid weight trainer since 1985, that term "gym science" gave me the impression it entailed anything to do with gym activities. Best regards to you...Donna...

Donna Svabik
[/quote]
ok donna and greg, do any of those supplements actually work. at the age of 53 i have a terrible time putting on muscle and getting rid of fat, although my legs are in good shape from race walking.

does any thing really help except eating less and working out like crazy?

oh yea, donna, i loved the picture on your profile.

comrade billyboy

Edited by - comradebillyboy on 08/19/2001 19:20:55
Go to Top of Page

comradebillyboy
Skeptic Friend

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2001 :  19:28:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send comradebillyboy a Private Message
donna, i checked out you web site. the ode to sonny was lovely and touching.

keep us posted on the fit at 50 web-site. if the woman pictured at the right is you, wow!

comrade billyboy
Go to Top of Page

Don2cypup

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2001 :  20:20:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Don2cypup's Homepage  Send Don2cypup an AOL message Send Don2cypup a Private Message
quote:

donna, i checked out you web site. the ode to sonny was lovely and touching.

keep us posted on the fit at 50 web-site. if the woman pictured at the right is you, wow!

comrade billyboy

Thank you so much for your compliments, Comrade!..My Sonny is still very much missed......I have been told many times that the web site dedicated to him had to have been compiled "from the heart"..it certainly was...as for that blurry pic?..that's me, alright!...I chopped off the top of my head, because the camera was in the way, anyways!...That old bod of mine will turn the "nifty" 50 next month...I am not quite "there" yet,for the new site, physique-wise, but presently, a midi composer is sequencing a song just for this site, and it is really sounding great! An Australian lady is going to add vocals in it, if we like it, we will use this variation....this site's theme will be "Fit at 50", advocating supplement free weight training...Perhaps Greg can add some valuable input for us...but as for supplementing yourself during weight training, there has been little to no adequate scientific data supporting what all these fitness "gurus" seem to parrot either in web sites, or magazines, promoting their products. I realize I speak strictly antecdotally, but I am an example of one who doesn't take anything beyond a sensibly balanced diet daily. I am a person of moderate indulgences, and I do feel that genetics plays a part in determining an individual's musculature, as well. by the way, Comrade, the new site will have my head attached to my body..heh!....Best Regards to you, Donna

Donna Svabik
Go to Top of Page

Greg
Skeptic Friend

USA
281 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2001 :  16:21:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Greg an AOL message Send Greg a Private Message
Donna,

Nice website. It looks like you are a bit more disciplined in the nutrition and weight training than I. I agree that genetics has a lot to do with how much muscle mass a person is capable of attaining. I personally have a very easy time gaining weight, both muscle and fat. I still have another 10 years to get fit at 50 so there's some time to get rid of a bit of a gut. Excuse my ignorance here but was Sonny a Bull Mastiff? He certainly was a beautiful dog. I have two dogs that are very much a part of the family. I can't even think of them being gone.

Comrade,

I totally agree with Donna. Balanced diet and no supplements. As for adding muscle, I have found that most people that try to start a weight training program themselves don't lift weights correctly. Try a trainer or, if possible try using a Nautilus system. You will learn to isolate muscle groups to maximum effect and not hurt yourself.

May I say that in hanging around in weight rooms for the last three or so years, I have seen people try all sorts of supplements. At least I've not seen anyone using steroids. I guess that some people still do despite the health risks. Very sad.

Greg.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.