New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bjones
Skeptic Friend

Australia
82 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2001 :  15:45:52  Show Profile Send bjones a Private Message
There has been so much anecdotal evidence of telepathy, but still only anecdotal never the less. I shall propose a test the will really verify it once and for all. First I will start with 2 identical twins (we will call one Marge and the other one Betty) who claim to have telepathic communication with each like feeling each other's pain.
I suggest we put them in separate rooms them randomly put an acupuncture needle in one of the limbs of Marge and Betty is supposed to know which limb the acupuncture needle is in. As there are four limbs to every normal human just blind chance will get it right 25% of the time. If Betty says that she can feel the acupuncture needle in Marge's right arm and that is where it is, then she scores correctly. We will repeat this 100 hundred times for each twin and if they each only score 25 give of take a few then that is evidence that there is no telepathy. But if they each or one of them score around 80 90 or even a perfect score of 100 then that is good evidence of telepathy.
I anticipate it will most probably be around 25 mark and thus no evidence of telepathy.

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2001 :  09:35:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

There has been so much anecdotal evidence of telepathy, but still only anecdotal never the less. I shall propose a test the will really verify it once and for all. First I will start with 2 identical twins (we will call one Marge and the other one Betty) who claim to have telepathic communication with each like feeling each other's pain.
I suggest we put them in separate rooms them randomly put an acupuncture needle in one of the limbs of Marge and Betty is supposed to know which limb the acupuncture needle is in. As there are four limbs to every normal human just blind chance will get it right 25% of the time. If Betty says that she can feel the acupuncture needle in Marge's right arm and that is where it is, then she scores correctly. We will repeat this 100 hundred times for each twin and if they each only score 25 give of take a few then that is evidence that there is no telepathy. But if they each or one of them score around 80 90 or even a perfect score of 100 then that is good evidence of telepathy.
I anticipate it will most probably be around 25 mark and thus no evidence of telepathy.

I believe that by poke number 40-50, Marge will smack the living hell out of you. :)

I am also sceptical of telepathy, clairvioance, and clairaudience.
I believe that there was a Saturday night live skit on claims of precognition/telepathic links. "A man at the last minute doesn't board an airplane. The airplane goes on to land normally. Coincidence?"

I hate to put it this way, but even Commander Mood Ring (Counselor Deana Troi from Star Trek, The Next Generation) couldn't read thoughts or specific emotions.

Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2001 :  15:20:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
I hate to put it this way, but even Commander Mood Ring (Counselor Deana Troi from Star Trek, The Next Generation) couldn't read thoughts or specific emotions.

But she was only half Betazoid.

He's YOUR god, they're YOUR rules, YOU burn in hell!
Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2001 :  22:19:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
quote:

Oh, you should know by now that any sort of experimental controls upset the chi balance or whatever, preventing ESP from functioning. Besides, few if any of the twin anecdotes involve psychic transmission of physical pain. Most are incidences of temporally shared emotions, which are laughably easy to explain given that identical twins share 100% of their genomes. I know a little about this, as my mother is a twin. They like to make little comments to each other like, "Why did it take you so long to call, I 'sent' you the message to call me last week?" I like to point out to her that if their ESP works with messages, she shouldn't need to make a phone call in the first place. Anyway, I digress, such a test as you propose would be pointless, I think.

This signature does not exist.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.