New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rick1
Skeptic Friend

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  20:39:37  Show Profile Send Rick1 a Private Message
I received this email and want to pass it on to the SFN community. I have not verified it. If anybody can let us know. Igrockit was a frequent participant in the AOL Atheist and Agnostic chat room that was the birth place of SFN. He was also an early member of SFN.

This is the Email I Received:

I have recently received word that the founder of Trantor 2, Ken Unferth, died on March 19 of esophageal cancer. He was 38 years old. Ken posted here as "jkennyu" and sometimes as "Igrockit" on other Yahoo boards.

He is survived by his parents, both of whom took time in their grief to send me this news in response to an e-mail inquiry I had sent, and
by his two sisters.

He and I knew each other only from the internet, but our relationship had been long and close. We shared a remarkably wide range of interests and viewpoints.

I first encountered him in 1998 on the Skeptic Friends Network (http://www.skepticfriends.org), where he was a regular poster and a frequent participant in the chat room. He and I began to exchange instant messages several times a week.

A mutual interest in spaceflight and nuclear power led us to the old Yahoo Project Orion Club, where we both became co-founders.

He and I collaborated on the rebuttal of Fox TV's Moon Hoax show in early 2001, an effort that eventually led to my local Fox affiliate giving me the opportunity to offer an on-air rebuttal directly after a re-run of the program (the only such rebuttal to have been broadcast by a Fox affiliate).

Later, after the 9-11 attacks, a major schism developed at Skeptic Friends Network between those who supported the war; including Ken and myself; and those who did not. The latter were unfortunately in the majority, so we moved on to other venues.

Trantor 2 is named for a BB Ken ran back in the stone age of online computing, the 1980s. The ultimate source for this name was the Imperial capital in Isaac Isamov's legendary Foundation series. It has been inactive since 2002, but, as the only remaining moderator, I would like to revive it and keep it going.

Ken was a great science fiction fan, as his choice of names would indicate. His insights and knowledge were a real help to me in my efforts to write SF. His parents have given me permission to dedicate my most recent story to his memory.

He had followed the Cassini program since its inception. He didn't live to see its triumphant arrival in the Saturn system last week, but he would have known that it was unstoppable and that it would succeed.

Professionally, he was a teacher of young children, a very special person indeed. He was also a stage magician and was well-known for his magic shows in the Phoenix area.

I regret that I did not know him better.
The world is a poorer place for his loss, and I am poorer still.

The Yahoo! Group this message was posted to is available here. Ken was known as Igrokit on the Skeptic Friends Network.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds.