Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  18:27:16  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
Many of you know (the rest can find out easily) that I am in the Navy. Well, wy boat is leaving very soon for about 6 months on a "Western Pacific Cruise," or, WESTPAC. Sounds relaxing, doesn't it? I think it's the military's sadistic streak that causes them to call it that.

The good news is that I may get to see Australia! The bad news is that I will be working for half a year with no evenings or weekends off. I don't think it's a very good trade....

I'll be randomly checking this site when I pull into port, but I won't be able to spend much time on it (one reason Dave W. is taking my moderating responsibilites. Thanks, Dave! I hear you're doing a great job ).

So, back to the Australia thing! I don't know when we plan on pulling in, but I am not allowed to say anyway. We may not even get to go. If anything breaks, we would have to stay somewhere else then possibly go straight home. But if you're from Australia, PM me and maybe we can get together while I'm there, eh?

Farewell, everybody, and I'll see you in a little while.

gezzam
SFN Regular

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  18:44:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gezzam's Homepage Send gezzam a Private Message
If you make it to Melbourne I would be glad to take you out for a beer or two and show you the sights.

A trip to Melbourne is nought without going to a game of Aussie Rules Football.

I'll PM you with my contact details.

Gezza

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Al Franken
Go to Top of Page

Zandermann
Skeptic Friend

USA
431 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  19:06:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Zandermann an AOL message Send Zandermann a Private Message
best of luck to you, Boron...and thank you for your service!

"If in the last few years you haven't discarded a major opinion or acquired a new one, check your pulse. You may be dead."
Go to Top of Page

Woody D
Skeptic Friend

Thailand
285 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  23:50:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Woody D a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Boron10

Many of you know (the rest can find out easily) that I am in the Navy. Well, wy boat is leaving very soon for about 6 months on a "Western Pacific Cruise," or, WESTPAC. Sounds relaxing, doesn't it? I think it's the military's sadistic streak that causes them to call it that.

The good news is that I may get to see Australia! The bad news is that I will be working for half a year with no evenings or weekends off. I don't think it's a very good trade....

I don't know when we plan on pulling in, but I am not allowed to say anyway. We may not even get to go. If anything breaks, we would have to stay somewhere else then possibly go straight home. But if you're from Australia, PM me and maybe we can get together while I'm there, eh?

Hey T, it's me Norma (aka, Snake). Oh 1st, are you supposed to be telling us all that? Wouldn't want you to be getting in trouble with the CIA or whoever.
Next, seriously, have a safe and great time...if you call working stright through for 6 months with no time off a good time.
Anyway, don't fall overboard. C ya when you get back.

www.Carabao.net
As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.
Mick Shrimpton
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  03:17:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Having spent some years in the Canoe Club myself, I know whereof you speak.

Take care and have a great cruise!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

NubiWan
Skeptic Friend

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  10:46:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send NubiWan a Private Message
Well, may the wind be always at yer back, farewell, safe return, and godspeed...

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  11:15:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

I'll be randomly checking this site when I pull into port, but I won't be able to spend much time on it (one reason Dave W. is taking my moderating responsibilites. Thanks, Dave! I hear you're doing a great job ).

So, back to the Australia thing! I don't know when we plan on pulling in, but I am not allowed to say anyway. We may not even get to go. If anything breaks, we would have to stay somewhere else then possibly go straight home. But if you're from Australia, PM me and maybe we can get together while I'm there, eh?

Dude.
Keep safe. Hope to see you back here soon.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Paladin
Skeptic Friend

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  19:01:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Paladin a Private Message
It's okay, Woody. I believe Boron is okay with the Naval Investigative Service as long as we don't know which ship he's on.

Hope you make it to Oz, Boron! As an ex-squid (SURFLANT) who's been on a couple of six-month deployments, I know what it's like to look forward to an extended trip away from home. On the one hand, it's exciting to think about all the great ports you'll get to visit. But, on the other hand, the time in between is sheer drudgery: Work, stand duty watch and sleep. Work, stand duty watch and sleep. Repeat for six months.

From the east coast, I visited ports from the Caribbean to Western Europe to the Middle East and Africa, with locations as varied as Puerto Rico and St. Thomas to Naples, Palma and Toulon to Haifa to Mombassa. I don't know what the WESTPAC ports include, but I'm assuming the Phillippines, Hawaii, South Korea and Japan, as well as Australia...

Have fun! :D

Paladin
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  22:45:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Stay safe, Boron, and try to squeeze some fun in.

I'll try to not mess up the Religion folder too badly while you're away.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Woody D
Skeptic Friend

Thailand
285 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2004 :  01:12:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Woody D a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Paladin

It's okay, Woody. I believe Boron is okay with the Naval Investigative Service as long as we don't know which ship he's on.

Thanks Paladin, for the info, I really mean it. But Boron knows I was joking. (pretty sure he does!)
He's a good kid and I do wish him well.

BTW, I think I know what kind of ship he's on (that's why I told him not to fall overboard), but guess he's still ok with the NIS 'cause I don't know the name of it.

www.Carabao.net
As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.
Mick Shrimpton
Edited by - Woody D on 01/17/2004 01:18:58
Go to Top of Page

PruplePanther
Skeptic Friend

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2004 :  08:07:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send PruplePanther a Private Message
At last a misive from the elusive Boron 10.
quote:
originally posted in Boron10's Bio

Situated between Beryllium and Carbon, I am a realatively common isotope who, after absorbing a neutron, becomes a little unstable and prone to alpha emission.

The most recent development for me is the study of Boron-Neutron-Capture Therapy, a proposed method of curing cancer.

This is where Boron 10 is ingested, and it chemically finds cancerous cells in the body. The patient is then exposed to a neutron flux, which causes the Boron to become unstable, killing the cancer.

Not to be disrepsectful to honorable moderator but thiink that Iodine is a more pertinnint and useful element for today's environment.

"If I don't know where we are, I can't plot a course home." Major Carter, SG-1
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2004 :  14:49:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:

Take care and make sure you return to us safely.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  18:51:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
Boron:

Have a nice trip. Thank you for all of the work you have done here to make it pleasant for lazy people like me who come here to play...

ljbrs

"Innumerable suns exist; innumerable earths revolve about these suns in a manner similar to the way the seven planets revolve around our sun. Living beings inhabit these worlds."
Giordano Bruno
(Burned at the stake by the Roman Catholic Church Inquisition in 1600)
Go to Top of Page

Jarrid
Skeptic Friend

101 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  21:14:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Jarrid an AOL message Send Jarrid a Private Message
how exciting:) i've always wanted to go to australia...but i joined the army and so i'm getting stuck in germany:( jk i am excited about that too:) good luck and be safe!

I don't have to go swimming through an outhouse to know I wouldn't like it."
Go to Top of Page

Woody D
Skeptic Friend

Thailand
285 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  22:34:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Woody D a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrid

how exciting:) i've always wanted to go to australia...but i joined the army and so i'm getting stuck in germany:( jk i am excited about that too:) good luck and be safe!

Jarrid, a friend of mine was 'stuck' in Germany durring the Viet Nam era, he used to write to me and the most I remember him saying was that it's damn cold there. Good luck to you too.

www.Carabao.net
Mick Shrimpton
Go to Top of Page

Jarrid
Skeptic Friend

101 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  10:00:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Jarrid an AOL message Send Jarrid a Private Message
"Jarrid, a friend of mine was 'stuck' in Germany durring the Viet Nam era, he used to write to me and the most I remember him saying was that it's damn cold there. Good luck to you too."

Thanks! I'm sure it will be butt cold there, but I've always wanted to visit a concentration camp(I know, how sick am I? lol) and a few other places in Europe, so maybe I'll get the chance to?

I don't have to go swimming through an outhouse to know I wouldn't like it."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.