New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Deborah
Skeptic Friend

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2004 :  22:59:00  Show Profile Send Deborah a Private Message
What does the general skeptic think about Buddhism?

Edited by - Deborah on 07/24/2004 23:00:06

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2004 :  05:39:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
What does the general skeptic think about the term 'general skeptic?" (0:

I think there are some aspects of zen buddhism which are important. I don't know much about it, though I've tried to learn, I think a lot of it is purposely vague and some of it can be theistic, which I don't agree with. What sums it up for me, and which is the most important thing I learned from it is this verse from Thich Nhat Hanh to be thought or said while inhaling or exhaling with each line:

Breathing in I calm my body
Breathing out I smile
Dwelling in the present moment
I know this is a wonderful moment

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Deborah
Skeptic Friend

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2004 :  16:07:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Deborah a Private Message
I was wondering if anyone would comment on my choice of words "general skeptic". ;-) Nice verse. What parts do you think are theistic? Just curious what other skeptics out there think. Seems like this is one "religion" that most skeptics don't have a strong opinion of.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2004 :  17:23:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure no parts of the Buddist "religion" are theistic. I'm pretty sure that there is/are no god(s) in it.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2004 :  18:29:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
I'm not clear on the exact beliefs, but I think there are many. I think some forms of Buddhism mixed with different religions. I think some forms of Mahayana Buddhism deal with the Buddha as a kind of a deity. Don't take my word for it, though.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2004 :  12:41:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
With just about all sorts of Buddhism, there are parts which are definitely not supported empirically, like enlightenment or transcendance. As with other religions, there are also parts of Buddhism which pretty much anyone will agree with, like "be nice to one another."

I think skeptics - in general - probably don't address Buddhism as much as other religions because there doesn't appear to be a big Buddhist push for converts. In other words, Buddhists don't tend to try to coerce others to become Buddhists. As such, it is pleasantly unconfrontational.

Plus, one doesn't tend to see a whole lot of people on TV shouting about how they are enlightened and need your money. Or hear about Buddhists who claim to have seen Buddha. There's a lot more humility, and less of the miraculous, in Buddhism than in other religions.

By the way, how have you been, Deborah? Long time, no hear.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2004 :  15:07:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure no parts of the Buddist "religion" are theistic. I'm pretty sure that there is/are no god(s) in it.

This depends on the form of Buddism. Tibetan buddhism (at least the ancient form of it) tended to have a fairly strong connection with hinduism and the old Tibettan religions, inhereting many of the gods and demons/heroes from them.
In general, Gods are optional in Buddism. The gods have the same problem as humans, in that they have not achieved enlightenment. The fact that Gods are more or less in the same predicament as humans makes Gods optional, and makes Buddism easily adaptable to many cultures.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2004 :  20:31:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
I think skeptics - in general - probably don't address Buddhism as much as other religions because there doesn't appear to be a big Buddhist push for converts.

Yeah, I've never had a Buddhist tell me I'm going to burn in hell. Honestly, if people have this need for religion that seems so prevelent, it's to bad there aren't a few more Buddhists. From what lilttle I know about it, it's a fairly peacefull philosophy.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Deborah
Skeptic Friend

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2004 :  20:06:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Deborah a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

By the way, how have you been, Deborah? Long time, no hear.

I've been feeling good lately. Moved to Florida in December, decided I hated it and moved back to Oregon this month! Remodeling the home and just started back to work this week. Life is good.

How are things with you?
Go to Top of Page

Hand Bent Spoon

1 Post

Posted - 08/08/2004 :  22:59:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hand Bent Spoon a Private Message
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764553593/qid=1092031083/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-0668596-3789526?v=glance&s=books

For all your neophyte Buddhism needs. ;)

Bent Once Again,
Hand Bent Spoon
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  02:03:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
For a religion supposedly not based on god(s), what's with all the incense burning and prayers to the Buddha? If it walks like a duck...

If one wants some moral principles to live by, why do you need a guidebook? Can't you just decide you want 'peace and calm' or 'kind acts to others' or whatnot and live your life that way?

BTW, I love the temples. Totally fascinating.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 08/09/2004 02:04:24
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  02:10:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Here's an interesting web site on Buddhism. Try the chanting audios, they're fun.
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  07:55:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

For a religion supposedly not based on god(s), what's with all the incense burning and prayers to the Buddha? If it walks like a duck...

If one wants some moral principles to live by, why do you need a guidebook? Can't you just decide you want 'peace and calm' or 'kind acts to others' or whatnot and live your life that way?

According to a book I read which was written by the dalai lama, they function as a focal point, not a religious function. Symbols and such make the excercise easier, certainly in the beginning. He also advised to just pick a symbol you like, can be Bhuddah, can be a burning candle, just as long as it helps you calming down and focusing.

Guidelines are handy. It is easier to go by things people figured out before you and start from there, in stead of starting of blind. Which, to me, doesn't mean you need to keep those guidelines if they do not work for you.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  02:18:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tomk80

quote:

According to a book I read which was written by the dalai lama, they function as a focal point, not a religious function. Symbols and such make the excercise easier, certainly in the beginning. He also advised to just pick a symbol you like, can be Bhuddah, can be a burning candle, just as long as it helps you calming down and focusing.

Guidelines are handy. It is easier to go by things people figured out before you and start from there, in stead of starting of blind. Which, to me, doesn't mean you need to keep those guidelines if they do not work for you.

Perhaps the guy you spoke to said they were symbols, but go to a few temples and people there will tell you they are "thanking Buddha". I don't know if it's something that is getting lost in translation, but I've asked and been in lots of temples. I've never had anyone say they are focusing or meditating.

There is no reason you can't adopt 'guidelines' as you call it, instead of inventing your own. But you don't need to take the religious baggage along to live by some moral principles you've adopted.
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  02:56:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:

Perhaps the guy you spoke to said they were symbols, but go to a few temples and people there will tell you they are "thanking Buddha". I don't know if it's something that is getting lost in translation, but I've asked and been in lots of temples. I've never had anyone say they are focusing or meditating.

They're probably really thanking Buddah. As with the Christian Saints, people need something they can picture to hold on to, in stead of some abstract concepts. Buddism is much more diverse than 'standard' religions in that the position and even occurrence of Gods is different. In religions like islam and christianity believing that God exists is a requirement, no matter where you go. However, with Buddism the situation is different, in that it tends to mix with local religions.

quote:
There is no reason you can't adopt 'guidelines' as you call it, instead of inventing your own. But you don't need to take the religious baggage along to live by some moral principles you've adopted.

I agree.

Tom

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.