General Skepticism
 Follow the obligation
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

coberst
Skeptic Friend

182 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2004 :  07:04:20  Show Profile  Visit coberst's Homepage Send coberst a Private Message

Politicians like to start with a bit of humor, I thought I would try it. Accountants A and B worked at desks side by side for thirty years. Accountant A dies. B had observed for thirty years that every morning A would go to his desk open the drawer and meditate a few seconds then close the drawer and start work. B decided to check this out and went to A's desk opened the drawer and saw taped to the bottom of the drawer this message: Debit on the Left—an expense. Credit on the Right—owed me.

George Simmel (1858-1918). A pioneer in the field of sociology wrote “The Philosophy of Money”. I have been reading a small selection from this book entitled “Individual Freedom”.

“The development of each human fate can be represented as an uninterrupted alternation between bondage and release, obligation and freedom.” “Each obligation that does not exist with regard to a mere idea corresponds to the right of someone else to make demands. For this reason, moral philosophy always identifies ethical freedom with those obligations imposed by an ideal or social imperative or by one's own
ego.”

When reading I often record an idea that resonates for me. The following is just such a beautiful paragraph: “All men, like all nations, are tested twice in the moral realm: first by what they do, then by what they make of what they do. The condition of guilt, a sense of one's own guilt, denotes a kind of second chance; men are, as if by a kind of grace, given a chance to repay to the living what it is they find themselves owing the dead.”

“Follow the money”. For our purpose we might change this adage to “Follow the obligation”. Perhaps a good way to analyze ‘freedom' is to analyze ‘obligation'.

We might say that, at birth our ‘pie chart' shows full freedom and zero obligation. Since this might be considered as a zero sum game: our parent's ‘pie chart' might debit freedom and credit obligation. Maybe this is not a zero sum game. Maybe debits do not have to equal credits.

Do the dead still have a balance sheet in this game? Does the creditor or the debtor determine obligation? If they disagree what is the court of last resort?

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2004 :  18:12:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
They're still hostile over at Bad Astronomy, too.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2004 :  03:23:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by coberst
Do the dead still have a balance sheet in this game?

I don't think so. Every memory that took a lot of energy to collect are lost if not shared. Entropy will get all of us eventually.

quote:
Does the creditor or the debtor determine obligation? If they disagree what is the court of last resort?
Who are the creditor and the debtor?
The "last resort" is a party where the worm-dudes have the most fun*.

*(Red Dwarf connection)

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

coberst
Skeptic Friend

182 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2004 :  13:19:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit coberst's Homepage Send coberst a Private Message
Dr Mabuse

George Simmel theorizes that life is a continuous string of obligation and freedom. We are speaking of moral obligations. “..[M]oral philosophy always identifies ethical freedom with those obligations imposed by an ideal or social imperative or by one's own ego.” Every one of us is constantly clearing one obligation and taking on another. The nature of the obligations constantly changes. Our obligation may be in various forms. For every obligation there is some entity that possesses that obligation. The debtor is the one who owes the obligation and the creditor is the one to whom the obligation is owed.

Society is the holder of the obligation that each of us owes as a citizen to obey the laws. When society determines through a judicial process that I have not obeyed the law I am sent to prison. When society decides I have “filled my obligation to society” I am released from prison.

As a parent I have obligations to my children. As an employee I have an obligation to my employer likewise that employer has obligations to the employee. The CEO of Enron has an obligation to society beyond the legal constraints that he is held responsible for.

It seems to me that we can map out our ‘freedom' better by focusing upon our obligations and to whom those obligations are owed than by any other method. I think this provides us with a clearer understanding of ethics and the concept of freedom. Follow the obligation.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2004 :  02:12:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I think I'm already doing that.
By choosing obligations that are fun to complete, or giving me some other advantage. But also by trying to manipulating my mindset to like obligations that I did not initially like.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

coberst
Skeptic Friend

182 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2004 :  06:08:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit coberst's Homepage Send coberst a Private Message
“moral philosophy always identifies ethical freedom with those obligations imposed by an ideal or social imperative or by one's own ego”.

I am not confident that we can pick and choose our obligations so easily. Simmel indicates that we are burdened by obligations resulting from “an ideal or social imperative or by one's own ego”.

What are some obligations imposed upon us by an ideal? Citizens of America “are committed to the realization of the democratic ideal”. I suggest “The Promise of American Life” by Herbert Croly as a valuable reading for those concerned about this question.

What are some obligations resulting from a social imperative? I suspect that environmental protection may be such an imperative. I suspect that stewardship of the land might be such an obligation. I think that CEOs are under some form of social obligation.

What does our own ego force upon us? I suspect the individual who wrote the paragraph I quoted in my original post, what we owe the dead, might have felt the force of obligation from the ego.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2004 :  15:31:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Stewardship of the Land indicates an obligation to the not-yet-living, so what?

Edited to add:
quote:
Citizens of America “are committed to the realization of the democratic ideal”.
Really? Then please explain to me how someone like G.W Bush got to be the president of the US?
"Citizens of America" can't be that committed.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 08/02/2004 15:35:42
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2004 :  15:47:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Stewardship of the Land indicates an obligation to the not-yet-living, so what?

Edited to add:
quote:
Citizens of America “are committed to the realization of the democratic ideal”.
Really? Then please explain to me how someone like G.W Bush got to be the president of the US?
"Citizens of America" can't be that committed.

Allow me to both refute coberst's assertion and explain the bad karma which allowed GWB into office.

Any assertion which claims the US is a Democracy is flat out wrong. It is a Constitutional Republic.

The intelligencia of the US is committed to a democratic ideal which is closest to a Republic. The sheep people continue to be committed to political parties and charismatic leaders/fearmongers.

The 2000 fiasco dealt with one state having enough sway so that it's election difficulties (some would call it fraud) were magnified to a national scale. The partisan bickering which followed called into question the legitamacy of the election. A quirk of the electoral college which is not likely to occur again. Only one other time has an elected President done so without carrying a majority of the popular vote. The electoral college was supposed to normalize the weight of the various states and population centers to force politicians to pay attention to their needs.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds.