New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

coberst
Skeptic Friend

182 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2004 :  02:55:56  Show Profile  Visit coberst's Homepage Send coberst a Private Message

“It makes sense.” An expression often heard but seldom thought about. Literally the phrase states that one or more of our senses legitimates the nature of the matter under consideration. One need only to look at the situation, smell or touch the item, listen to it, or just taste it to be assured that the truth is readily ascertained and affirmed by the senses.

In the late nineteenth and early twentieth century science was beginning to explore the inner sanctum of the atom. This is a world into which our intuition was no guide. This was a world in which nothing made sense. Our senses were of no value in ascertaining the “truth” of this inner world of the atom. Nothing was intuitive in this mysterious world that was being penetrated by the science of physics.

This inner reality of the atom was explored and became understandable by science. It is this atomic universe that provides the electronic marvels that drives our computers and information technology upon which we are all so dependent.

This great new technological miracle is within the reach of the understanding of most all of us if we are interested and are willing to invest some time. There are all kinds of books written by experts in the field that make is possible for all of us to gain a significant understanding of the nature of this inner reality of the atom even though none of it “makes sense”.

If there are books that make it possible for the layman to grasp a significant comprehension of Quantum Physics then it seems reasonable to expect that no matter where your curiosity takes you there will be many books written just for your understanding.

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2004 :  03:27:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by coberst

“It makes sense.” ...it seems reasonable to expect that no matter where your curiosity takes you there will be many books written just for your understanding.

"My answers are simply as your level of understanding makes possible." - Guardian on the Edge of Forever
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2004 :  05:14:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
To Rev. Coberst:

Your sermons have very little to do with Skepticism (or Astronomy for that matter).

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2004 :  07:06:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Or even Bad Astronomy.

Damn. Argos (over there) was rolling his/her eyes over coberst's repetitive and redundant pedantry (see OP), and he either completely missed it, or purposefully ignored it.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

N C More
Skeptic Friend

53 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2004 :  08:04:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send N C More a Private Message
Hi fellow skeptics, I just registered having found my way here from Bad Astronomy. I honestly don't understand what coberst is attempting to achieve with this critical thinking pontificating. Many on the BABB have tried asking questions and urging him toward discussion (rather than preaching) but to no avail! So, I've settled on humor! Hey, it works for me and I see furshur may be heading in that direction as well.

Anyway, great board, some interesting discussions. I'm glad I found my way here...ironically thanks to coberst!

"An open mind is like an open window...without a good screen you'll get some really weird bugs!"
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2004 :  08:19:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Hi, and welcome N C More. Even more ironically, I also found my way to Bad Astronomy's board due to Coberst. I was reading the replies, and the best one I found was:

"To be sung to the tune of Henry the Eighth
(my apology to Herman's Hermits)

I'm Coberst the Critical Thinker I am.
Coberst, the Critical Thinker I am, I am."

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

SciFi Chick
Skeptic Friend

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2004 :  08:33:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send SciFi Chick a Private Message
Hi! I wandered in here same as NC More, from Bad Astronomy. I've enjoyed what I've read so far, and look forward to spending some time in a place where free thinking is encouraged.

"There is no 'I' in TEAM, but there is an 'M' and an 'E'." -Carson

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud."
-Sophocles
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2004 :  08:37:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
N C More:
Hi fellow skeptics, I just registered having found my way here from Bad Astronomy.

quote:
SciFi Chick:
Hi! I wandered in here same as NC More, from Bad Astronomy. I've enjoyed what I've read so far, and look forward to spending some time in a place where free thinking is encouraged.

Welcome to SFN!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

N C More
Skeptic Friend

53 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2004 :  09:28:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send N C More a Private Message
Thanks for the welcome Ricky and Kil and "Hi" SciFi Chick!

Yes, coberst has sparked my creative side. I prefer http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=303763#303763 this parody of "Let It Be". It sums up the situation as I see it! BTW, how does the url code operate here?

"An open mind is like an open window...without a good screen you'll get some really weird bugs!"
Go to Top of Page

Leon

2 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2004 :  10:17:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Leon a Private Message
Hi, I came from Bad Astronomy too (though I post under Roy Batty there)
Looks like an interesting site!

N6MAA10816
Become a Bright?
Edited by - Leon on 07/23/2004 10:21:25
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2004 :  10:54:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
So maybe Coberst is doing us a favor? Bringing two forums together to go against him, ahha. I really liked that parody, maybe get someone to sing it and make an mp3 out of it.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2004 :  11:48:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message
"That makes sense" or common sense is ok for everday living. To truly understand science you need what has been refered to as "uncommon sense". The ability to ignore what your five senses may be telling you and simply look at the facts. Apparenlty this is a difficult thing for most people to do....I've never had a problem with it.

BTW - who is Coberst?

Adam

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2004 :  11:59:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
BTW - who is Coberst?

Coberst is a person who likes to posts his idea all over the net on many different forums. This is fine. However, what is not fine is that he does not want to talk about them, rather just spew out information. What also is not fine is that anyone who disagrees he calls close minded. And further more, what is also not fine is that he makes assertions which he will not back up.

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2004 :  12:06:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

So maybe Coberst is doing us a favor? Bringing two forums together...

Genius I tell you! Genius! "Coberst" is actually a computer program designed to draw smart people from other boards here to SFN!
The program is: "Collective Observation Bringing Educated Reliable Skeptics Together" or "C.O.B.E.R.S.T." for short!
Go to Top of Page

coberst
Skeptic Friend

182 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2004 :  12:49:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit coberst's Homepage Send coberst a Private Message
Welcome one and all. This post is a result of Socrates' admonition that the unexamined life is not worth living. Quantum Theory is a great place to begin your journey of discovery. But keep in mind it is only the beginning. Do not forget the self in this quest for the examined life.

The most marvelous book I have read about this quantum world is "QED" by Feynman, it is a kick.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2004 :  20:30:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Big welcome to Leon, N C More and SciFi Chick!

N C More wrote:
quote:
BTW, how does the url code operate here?
The FAQ explains it, but here's how that FAQ link was created:
[url="http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/faq.asp"]FAQ[/url]
Coberst wrote:
quote:
Quantum Theory is a great place to begin your journey of discovery.
So I suppose that Quantum Electrodynamics is a "serious matter" which meets with your approval?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.59 seconds.