Terror Alert
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  18:45:52  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Hmmmmmm...

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=XSYWDOPQEVXY0CRBAELCFFA?type=topNews&storyID=5862618

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  18:56:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

Hmmmmmm...

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=XSYWDOPQEVXY0CRBAELCFFA?type=topNews&storyID=5862618

Hmmmm indeed. Howard Dean's recent comments come to mind.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/08/01/threat.politics
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  01:04:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
What amazes me is that these less-than-compentent, less-than-honest individuals actually managed to make a living and stay out of jail before getting into government.

The GOP convention is going to be noteworthy. I think that the selective orange 'alert' was cynicly put up to confound the inevatable demonstrations around Madison Square Garden. Or am I just being more paranoid than usual?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  06:02:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

What amazes me is that these less-than-compentent, less-than-honest individuals actually managed to make a living and stay out of jail before getting into government.

The GOP convention is going to be noteworthy. I think that the selective orange 'alert' was cynicly put up to confound the inevatable demonstrations around Madison Square Garden. Or am I just being more paranoid than usual?

The Democratic convention did not need a terror alert to remove the demenstrators from around the Fleet Center to a place where nobody could see them.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  06:33:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

Hmmmmmm...

It does make one think. However, as noted by many people, including some who wrote letters to the NY Times, Ridge and the DHS are in a bit of a bind. If you do issue an alert, it looks political. If you don't, and something happens, you get the blame. But since you can't-- ostensibly for security reasons-- detail just why it is that you've issued an alert the day after the Democratic convention, there will always be a shroud of suspicion.

Was the alert politically motivated (say, to shift media attention/publicity from Kerry elsewhere)? We don't know. But unfortunately, the nature of politics these days (especially with this administration) means that we are forced to be suspicious of the movites of such announcements, which in turn draws attention from the actual alert.

Ugh. This whole country's going to hell in a handbasket.
Go to Top of Page

satans_mom
Skeptic Friend

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  14:26:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send satans_mom an AOL message  Send satans_mom a Yahoo! Message Send satans_mom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

[quote}

Ugh. This whole country's going to hell in a handbasket.

Well spoken.

Yo mama's so fat, she's on both sides of the family.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  16:02:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robb

quote:
Originally posted by filthy

The Democratic convention did not need a terror alert to remove the demenstrators from around the Fleet Center to a place where nobody could see them.

True enough. But, if what I've read is accurate, the demonstrations didn't amount to much. Therefore, it is a pity and a disappointment that the Democrats borrowed a page from Bush's book. As I recall, there were only a handful of arrests.

The NYC protests promise to be huge and at least a potential embarassment as a very large number of people get hauled off. It is within the range of possibility that crowd control could deteriorate into serious fighting and from there to riot. It's happened before.

We shall see.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 08/05/2004 16:04:04
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2004 :  14:27:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
The argument, "you are damned if you do or if you don't", is bogus. The problem for me was the announcement was made via a 'press conference'. Big announcement coming up!! Big announcement, everybody pay attention!! Here we are. Listen up. Your president is doing a great job....

Past announcements were, "we have nothing specific". Now they do so it warranted a 'press conference'. I haven't seen anyone in the press press Mr Ridge as to why the past info wasn't specific when that part of the announced information wasn't particularly new.

None of the recent terror alert press conferences seemed to be worthy of this type of announcement. A press release would have been sufficient, don't you think? Then maybe some warnings to the tenants of the specific buildings in question. There were lots of possibilities. Press conferences by the Republicans have been a campaign technique used especially heavily since the Florida vote re-count(not).

It drove me nuts then as well. Not because the Republicans kept calling conferences, but because the news media, I presume not noticing, sucked them up as if they really were special announcements. Instead the conferences were just free air time. Press conference announcements controlled the news content almost completely.

And the news media never checked on the truthfulness of any of the conference spins. And the dumb Democrats didn't get the hang of the technique as well as the Republicans did so they didn't get equal access.

Well I saw Tom Ridge interviewed by Aaron Brown recently about the politics of the announcements. Every time Ridge denied politics were the motive, he smiled. At no other time did he smile during the interview. There is a technique of watching for inappropriate facial expressions as potentially detecting lying that has shown some scientific validity. IMO, the press conference was a scam. And unfortunately, it may be they are paying more attention to politics than to the bad guys.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 08/08/2004 14:29:35
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.