New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2004 :  18:00:51  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Did you all know that Bush overturned the laws we had that banned new research into new nuclear weapons? In May 2003 they overturned the Spratt-Furse ban on developing nukes with reduced explosive power (less than 5 kilotons).

Yessir.... we are researching, to the tune of $500M of my tax money in 2005, NEW nuclear bombs for targetting hardened targets like bunkers.

Article 6 of the Constitution makes treaties we sign LAW. We are party to a nuclear non-proliferation treaty.... but Bush is just ignoring that since the republican controlled congress (in a vote almost exactly on party lines) repealed the previous law preventing the US from researching new nukes.

These bastards (Bush/Darth Chaney) want to develope new nukes.

All I can say is.... huh?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2004 :  20:13:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
What would be the point of researching NEW nuclear weapons?

Forgive me for being reductionist and/or ignorant, but a nuclear bomb is a nuclear bomb, right?

Apparently, we want a kinder, gentler nuclear bomb?
Go to Top of Page

satans_mom
Skeptic Friend

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2004 :  20:26:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send satans_mom an AOL message  Send satans_mom a Yahoo! Message Send satans_mom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Renae

What would be the point of researching NEW nuclear weapons?

Forgive me for being reductionist and/or ignorant, but a nuclear bomb is a nuclear bomb, right?

Apparently, we want a kinder, gentler nuclear bomb?

I think we want the opposite of a kinder, gentler bomb. We want smarter bombs. We want super bombs.

You know Kerry is also a Skull & Bones member... Just like Bush... and if Bush is told what to do by Skull and Bones then Kerry would too, if reasonability is the strong point. Whatever shall we do if Kerry is just another Bush...?

Also, I hear that 49% of the US is still voting Bush this year...

Yo mama's so fat, she's on both sides of the family.

Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  02:05:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by satans_mom...Whatever shall we do if Kerry is just another Bush...?

He won't be. John Kerry can speak in complete sentences. Anyway, I'll take that chance!

Seriously - to me, a Bush supporter would have to be either naive, uninformed, stupid or evil. I can't conceive of any other category for a 100% supporter of George W. Bush.
Edited by - Chippewa on 08/03/2004 02:16:31
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  02:45:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Seriously - to me, a Bush supporter would have to be either naive, uninformed, stupid or evil. I can't conceive of any other category for a 100% supporter of George W. Bush.

Or some combination thereof.

I think that at least a large part of his support for this stems from the super-religious who firmly believe he is on a mission from God. Therefore, if Shit-for-Brains wants nukes, then the Giant Mutant Stargoat must want them as well, QED. The rest follow the super-religious because they shout louder.

Darwin wept, for we are truly a fucked-up species.

I have read of many Bonesman conspiricy theories and have regulated them into the same catagory as those concerning the Masons, Illuminati, and the Jewish Banker's Plot to take over the world. Fun to speculate on, but still not enough substance to even make trash. The fun part is that while the Mason et al. theories are put forth by mainly right-wing people, only the left rags on the Bonesmen.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  06:43:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Did you all know that Bush overturned the laws we had that banned new research into new nuclear weapons? In May 2003 they overturned the Spratt-Furse ban on developing nukes with reduced explosive power (less than 5 kilotons).

Yessir.... we are researching, to the tune of $500M of my tax money in 2005, NEW nuclear bombs for targetting hardened targets like bunkers.

Article 6 of the Constitution makes treaties we sign LAW. We are party to a nuclear non-proliferation treaty.... but Bush is just ignoring that since the republican controlled congress (in a vote almost exactly on party lines) repealed the previous law preventing the US from researching new nukes.

These bastards (Bush/Darth Chaney) want to develope new nukes.

All I can say is.... huh?

This month's Scientific American has an article about the new bunker-buster nukes. I haven't read the entire article as I'm not particularly interested in the development of nuclear weapons. One of the key points I noticed is that event though they are designed to explode underground, they still produce a good deal of radioactive fallout. A cautionary note, I guess, they are trying to make - in case the dummies in the Bush Administration are thinking they can get away with using something like that because it wouldn't drop radioactive material all over the place...

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  07:35:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chippewa

Seriously - to me, a Bush supporter would have to be either naive, uninformed, stupid or evil. I can't conceive of any other category for a 100% supporter of George W. Bush. (emphasis mine)

As noted in today's wonderful piece by Paul Krugman of the NY Times, part of the problem in the whole informed/not informed debate is that the media have been fantastically inept when it comes to reporting. This ranges from simply failing to present important information about the candidates to simply repeating various spin-points until the public believes it to be true!

For instance, how many people have heard anything about Kerry's health care plans? My guess is not many. But surely we've all heard various links between Kerry and France, right?

And what about flip-flopping? The press have been relentless in talking about this when it's clear that it's an RNC spin-point. But instead of investigating the facts about, say, the $87 billion vote for Iraq, pundits just keep repeating the RNC mantra that Kerry flip-flopped.

All of this then sinks into the minds of the general public until everyone thinks its true (think Al Gore and the "invented the internet" lie). The Daily Howler noted how callers into C-SPAN have been duped by RNC spin, and how no one either a) knows the truth, or b) bothers to correct them.

It's a sad situation...

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  10:01:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Actually, Bush is not researching nuclear bombs, but a brand new type of bomb: nuk-u-lar bombs.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  11:09:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

quote:
Originally posted by Chippewa

Seriously - to me, a Bush supporter would have to be either naive, uninformed, stupid or evil. I can't conceive of any other category for a 100% supporter of George W. Bush. (emphasis mine)

As noted in today's wonderful piece by Paul Krugman of the NY Times, part of the problem in the whole informed/not informed debate is that the media have been fantastically inept when it comes to reporting. This ranges from simply failing to present important information about the candidates to simply repeating various spin-points until the public believes it to be true!

For instance, how many people have heard anything about Kerry's health care plans? My guess is not many. But surely we've all heard various links between Kerry and France, right?

Which is why I seek out information in addition to the media. Yes, I've heard the claims about a France link to Kerry. I've also heard about the health care plan from the media. (Both pro and con) I made the decision that the media wasn't presenting the whole picture which is why I was both surprised and glad to see this.

http://www.johnkerry.com/pdf/our_plan_for_america.pdf

I have never before seen a political platform published in recent history. I've already downloaded it and saved it so should Kerry be elected, I can hold him accountable/give him credit where it is due.

This document has been hitting some message boards to answer rabid Bushites when they claim that Kerry has no specific, detailed plans for making the US better. Bush has a number of "talking points" and a list of accomplishments but no clear or detailed plans that his campaign complains Kerry doesn't have that I could find.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

satans_mom
Skeptic Friend

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  14:33:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send satans_mom an AOL message  Send satans_mom a Yahoo! Message Send satans_mom a Private Message
My mother and I were arguing politics one afternoon when she mentioned that she did not care to hear my views, to which I replied, "Because you have none of your own!!!" That was the end of the debate.

Americans are fed what Americans want to hear, and sometimes I think it's anything the media and all else will feed us. If we sat around and chewed the fat we'd understand for ourselves, but instead of chewing, we just swallow.

Yo mama's so fat, she's on both sides of the family.

Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  14:58:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
Thanks for the link, Val. I somehow managed to miss that when I was looking through the Kerry web site recently hunting for his positions. Most of what I found on the "issues" pages seemed diappointingly generic.

Mind, if the Democrats had nominated the Great Green Arkleseizure this time around and all he had to say was "where's my Great White Handkerchief?" I'd still be coughing up for them the same way I've been doing this election. Having been a professional troubleshooter for twenty years I know that the First Law of Fixing Things so They Actually Work is "first fix what you know is wrong".

Dubya in the White House is wrong like Coca-Cola in the power supply is wrong.

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  15:32:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message
Yes, if there's anything humankind needs, it's more nukes.

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." -- Carl Sagan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.