Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  21:41:13  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Couldn't decide if this should go here, or in general skepticism folder... please move it if you think it should be someplace else.

Just cruising through a few of the ads that Google is kind enough to put up on SFN....

http://www.caseforacreator.com/home.php

I always doubt when somebody says they are a "former" atheist. It seems they are always selling somehting or promoting some crazy fundie concept.

and the next one is cracking me up..... All I can say is, wow. A guy that can heal you regardless of distance. I wonder how much he makes off this shit? Might this be worthy of a spot on the "Claims List"?

http://www.robertginsburg.com/?source=coalternativeheal

quote:
Thanks to my training with Levashov, I am able to use my mind to locate disturbances or imbalances in your human energetic field. These imbalances are eliminated using the power of the mind to activate the primary matter of nature.

This activation results in an energetic flow from me, using only the power of thought, which I individually program and direct to you, as a client.

All work is done off the body without physical contact. Change on the physical level is secondary to and/or a side effect of work on the energetic level.

The work is equally effective in person or at a distance. It is 100% respectful, non-invasive, and safe.

And then this one was kinda amusing as well... Bet you could hook up with some freaky-hot-new-age chicks at this class!

http://www.wddty.co.uk/thefield/ltf.asp

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  21:56:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
... now, all I need is your credit card number.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2004 :  15:00:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
astonishing new evidence
Uh huh, right...

quote:
tell you in 48 monthly parts
48 monthly parts and you won't have full powers until month 48.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  21:12:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Here I am making fun of the google ads that come up on SFN....

Well, I was walking through my local Barnes & Noble book store this evening, and what did I see on the shelf?

Yep.... the interesting thing, it wasn't in the religion section. It was in the science section, featured prominently among the new releases....

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  23:37:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Well, I was walking through my local Barnes & Noble book store this evening, and what did I see on the shelf?

Yep.... the interesting thing, it wasn't in the religion section. It was in the science section, featured prominently among the new releases....

Well, if you hadn't noticed, B&N doesn't seem to care much for science. Our stores have about 1/2 row of science books and 3 or 4 full rows of religious stuff. Maybe they ran out of room in the religion row.
Go to Top of Page

SciFi Chick
Skeptic Friend

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  06:24:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send SciFi Chick a Private Message
quote:

The Bible Answer man is really excited about this book. He seems to think it holds all the answers for Christians who wish to do battle with skeptics. I have been anticipating this release, and I look forward to a skeptical review of it. However, I do not have the stomach to read it myself.

"There is no 'I' in TEAM, but there is an 'M' and an 'E'." -Carson

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud."
-Sophocles
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  07:53:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Well, if you hadn't noticed, B&N doesn't seem to care much for science. Our stores have about 1/2 row of science books and 3 or 4 full rows of religious stuff. Maybe they ran out of room in the religion row.

I don't think it has to do with them no caring, it has to do with popular intrest. There are many more people into religion that there are that are into science.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  08:14:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I'd just like to point out Kil's articles, Crown Books and More on Crown Books.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

SciFi Chick
Skeptic Friend

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  08:18:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send SciFi Chick a Private Message
If it makes Kil feel any better, Crown Books is all but out of business in California. They closed several in the past few years due to financial hardship.

"There is no 'I' in TEAM, but there is an 'M' and an 'E'." -Carson

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud."
-Sophocles
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  09:25:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Just cruising through a few of the ads that Google is kind enough to put up on SFN....

I always doubt when somebody says they are a "former" atheist. It seems they are always selling somehting or promoting some crazy fundie concept.

The author of this book, Lee Strobel, has written a number of The Case for . . . books. His first was The Case for Christ. In it, he interviews various experts about certain problematic aspect of Christianity's claims about Jesus, concluding that, in fact, Jesus was the Son of God, blah blah blah.

The book was wildly popular, selling in the millions. However, there are a number of flaws. These have been pointed out in this on-line review.

I might stress that the biggest problem with this book is that Strobel sees fit to interview only pro-Christian writers and thinkers, so that the case made by those who would argue against Jesus' divinity is no doubt not presented in a fair or compelling way.

Another flaw is simply in the inherent nature of the material. The NT is a polemic culled from countless Jesus stories and designed to say very specific things about him. Many, many early writings about Jesus were purged and destroyed, and were thus forever lost. The end result is that we have no idea what non-Christians were saying about Jesus (or, indeed, other Christians), except what can be gleaned from the NT, or from scant extra-biblical writings.

But that's neither here nor there. This book in question is about a "creator" and not Jesus. I have not read the book, nor will I (unless I can get it for free-- I don't want to give Strobel any money to produce more rubbish). However, my guess is that he again limits his interviews to pro-Creator stuff and only culls naturalistic (e.g. Big Bang, etc.) stuff when it suits him.

If anyone has a chance to read the book, I'd be curious to know what his "case" is.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  12:13:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
From glancing through it at the store, it appears to be a hash-up of intelligent design. In his typical sytle, he interviews "experts" who advocate ID.

I got into an argument with the manager of the local B&N about why the book was on the science shelf... the answer- Because it's listed as a science book in their system. Go figure.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  14:26:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
I got into an argument with the manager of the local B&N about why the book was on the science shelf... the answer- Because it's listed as a science book in their system. Go figure.

Good for you for asking. But I don't think this is a "go figure" situation. Indeed, part of the ID movement is to position itself as the "scientific" answer to creationism.

But imagine if I wrote a book on weather wherein I argued that predicting weather patterns were best done by looking at, say, goat livers. Would that be put in a "science" section, even if the publisher claimed it? Hardly. So it shows you how much power the Christian Right has-- their cleverly disguised ideas can now be placed along real science by simple marketing strategy.

Sad, sad, sad.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  16:23:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

quote:

I don't think it has to do with them no caring, it has to do with popular intrest. There are many more people into religion that there are that are into science.

It is easier to believe than it is to think ...

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  16:50:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Indeed, part of the ID movement is to position itself as the "scientific" answer to creationism.

I just finished reading this article that adresses this very issue:

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/barbara_forrest/wedge.html

It shows that the strategy is to insuate ID as a legitimate alternative to naturalism, in spite of the fact that they have no actual science to back it up. Its more than a little scary.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  17:37:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
SciFi Chick:
If it makes Kil feel any better, Crown Books is all but out of business in California. They closed several in the past few years due to financial hardship.

I know. I received an email from an ex employee of Crown Books asking me if I'm happy now...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  03:14:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:
SciFi Chick:

I know. I received an email from an ex employee of Crown Books asking me if I'm happy now...

Are you kidding? Did they think you had a hand in it? Caused those science types to boycott, did you?

Crown books went out of business here in the NW as well. B&N opened up next door, at least here it did. I don't know about elsewhere in the region but I'm sure B&N was a problem for them.

Well, I'm disgusted because I wanted to get the latest Journal Science. The Aug issue has Mars progress reports. Our University Book Store has Astrology magazines but not the Journal Science.

I complained before and got them to carry Nature when I wanted a copy with a specific HIV article. I am happy to say they still carry Nature. Guess I'm gonna have to play on their responsibility guilt feelings again.

I know B&N carries little science and lots of junk because that's what the customers buy. But that's even more depressing than if it were just an ignorant management.

I agree we need to speak out to keep the creation fake-science stuff off of science book shelves. That's what the whole fight to keep creation fake-science out of schools is all about too. Put all the science supporting creation and ID you want in the science section, but not the dishonest stuff. It's a shame those believers can't see there is a difference. They see it as a plot to silence them.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.