Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2004 :  12:40:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Renae

Hmmmm. Thanks, beskeptigal. So if the data itself is never actually stored, nobody's got a truly accurate memory. We only have the interpretation of our reality. Hm.

I think the extremely religious (like those who pray but don't take their kiddo to the doctor) may have a mental disorder, but I'm wondering if the religiosity might be a symptom of another disorder (rather than being a disorder in and of itself.)

If someone has a bona fide mental illness like schizophrenia, delusions can be a part of it, yes? And religious delusions are apparently pretty common.

As a side note I've long thought that many fundies and other religious extremists manifested some pretty serious control and anxiety issues with their "faith." Just my opinion, though.

False memories have been instilled in adults experimentally. It has very powerful implications.

Clearly mental illness can include religious delusions.

I guess you have to add dysfunctional to mental illness. In some cases, religious material might have played a role in the person's dysfunction. I agree about the "serious control and anxiety issues".

So a mentally ill person might have a compulsive disorder, while a person who is dysfunctional might be fanatically anti-gay. I guess those could both fit a mentally ill diagnosis.

So do we think Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell are mentally ill? And are Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson not so because their passions are more political than religious? Hmmm. That's a tricky one.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2004 :  21:16:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
So do we think Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell are mentally ill? And are Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson not so because their passions are more political than religious?

Nope, they are all 4 whacked in the head. Purely my subjective opinion, of course.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  05:23:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell? I think they scapegoat others (gays, liberals, etc.) in ways that are unhealthy. I also see them both as suffering from a startling lack of the ability to think critically. Mentally "ill"? Maybe not technically, but not mentally healthy, either.

I like Al Sharpton--I think he's smart and funny. Jesse Jackson is just boring, IMO...I don't see anything else really wrong with him.

I've long thought Ann Coulter manifests some serious mental issues (illness or not, she has issues, IMO) in her political writing. She's one hateful, bigoted woman. That kind of hate has to come from somewhere, doesn't it?
Edited by - Renae on 08/16/2004 05:24:45
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.