General Skepticism
 Grad student, need a topic?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

coberst
Skeptic Friend

182 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2004 :  05:33:19  Show Profile  Visit coberst's Homepage Send coberst a Private Message
Grad Students need a topic?

Any graduate student of the humanities has available to him/her a treasure trove of information here on this forum from which they can develop many original papers and thesis. In the last several months there has played out on this very miniature stage a struggle between the establishment and dissent, between reason and power. Each student has all the facts available from which each can develop her/his own judgement as to the nature of the conflict. The way to judge human character--character as we normally speak of it but also of intellectual character--is while wo/men are under stress.

The world is a stage. History is dialectic between what is and what might be. History is the struggle between established power and dissent. Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it.

There are many potential topics for seminar papers or even for a thesis hidden away in the discourse posted on this forum relating to the behavior of the forum's establishment relative to posts by coberst.

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2004 :  06:52:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
There are many potential topics for seminar papers or even for a thesis hidden away in the discourse posted on this forum relating to the behavior of the forum's establishment relative to posts by coberst.

Did you just refer to yourself in the thrid person? Wait, I seem to remember this from somewhere:

quote:
41. Refer to yourself in the third person.

In the 41 steps to be a proper woo-woo:

http://www.skepticreport.com/funnies/woowoocredo.htm

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2004 :  07:01:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
TO be honest, I'm not sure there's much here to write any sort of dissertation on. Can it really be true that a dozen or so people posting anonymously on an internet forum conposed largely of secularists and skeptics are an interesting enough topic? Will the study of the SFN add an original contribution to any field?

I'm fairly certain that no reputable history department would allow such a thing and cannot think of another field where this would be remotely interesting.

Oh. I get it-- this is yet another post (on yet another new thread!) wherein you get to portray yourself as the victim oppressed by the vile majority. Yawn.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2004 :  07:25:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I don't think a serious grad student would give a tenrec's testicle about topics here beyond giving him/her an idea for potential research. Any science we do here is strictly science lite. Same for history, comology, geology, and all the other 'ologies.

And this is as it should be. We'd rather discuss (with solid references, of course,) such topics as we're well-read in with just anyone who riccochets in off the street, rather than build an intellectual ivory tower.

You seem to be implying -- correct me if I'm wrong -- that you are in dissent. May I ask; dissent toward what?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

N C More
Skeptic Friend

53 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2004 :  07:38:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send N C More a Private Message
Ya know, I've been thinking about my Dad a lot here lately. He's been gone for about 5 years but his "sage advice" still remains. One piece of that advice that seems applicable here is as follows, "You just can't reason with the unreasonable". I, for one, am going to take that advice.

"An open mind is like an open window...without a good screen you'll get some really weird bugs!"
Go to Top of Page

coberst
Skeptic Friend

182 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2004 :  10:51:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit coberst's Homepage Send coberst a Private Message
Is that a promice NC? Can I call you on it later?
Go to Top of Page

coberst
Skeptic Friend

182 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2004 :  10:54:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit coberst's Homepage Send coberst a Private Message
Cuneiformist

If I were you I would hope no one takes up this challenge.
Go to Top of Page

coberst
Skeptic Friend

182 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2004 :  10:56:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit coberst's Homepage Send coberst a Private Message
Filthy If I were you I would worry about someone taking up this challenge also.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2004 :  11:47:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
[Official Moderator Warning]

Based upon the precedents set here and here, I'm locking this thread, and reminding coberst that he's been warned about this behaviour more than once already.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.