General Skepticism
 Snarl Snarl Bark Bark
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

coberst
Skeptic Friend

182 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  23:36:30  Show Profile  Visit coberst's Homepage Send coberst a Private Message
Goodness have you ever seen such a public display of snarling human emotion. You would think from all the venom eminating from Dave's gang that I had stolen their new bike. This is a puzzle only a psychologist can help us understand.

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  05:33:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by coberst

Goodness have you ever seen such a public display of snarling human emotion. You would think from all the venom eminating from Dave's gang that I had stolen their new bike. This is a puzzle only a psychologist can help us understand.

I'm doubtfull whether even responding here is a good idea. However, I'd like to point out to you, Coberst, what others tried to point out to you earlier. By just writing a 'didactic post' on critical thinking as on OP, but refusing to discuss this post later on, you do exactly the opposite of critical thinking. What Dave has done, as he explained in his 'map of coberst activities'-thread, was try to hold a mirror in front of you about your own behaviour and thus set you thinking.

Maybe you should sit down and write down the objections people have to what you are doing and try to see why people object to your behaviour. Maybe you might gain some insight in what they are thinking. If you fully understand their objections, you can always decide whether you agree or not. However, I usually like to think that if a lot of people object to my behaviour, it might not just be their opinion which is at fault.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  05:50:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

You asked for opinion. You got it and didn't like it, therefore, according to your reasoning, the people who responded are merely part of "Dave's Gang".

http://www.datanation.com/fallacies/ap.htm

The above link identifies the logical fallacy you have committed.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  06:12:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Coberst, what exactly did Dave say that wasn't true? Did he lie anywhere in his post? Did his post contain any fallacies? It was only a collection of what you have done in every forum.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Wulfstan

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  06:28:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Wulfstan a Private Message
quote:

1. Coberst, you responded to Dave's post that he did a good job--were you being sarcastic?

2. Why did you not respond with the above comment in the thread it pertains to and instead start a new thread? Do you want to stand out? Do you think someone will miss it? Are you vain?

3.Why don't you answer even a 1/3 of the questions directed to you?

4.Your bike analogy makes no sense. Come again?

5.Why do you persist in posting the same posts in a number of forums, most of the copied and uncredited material? I know when they are your words, because you always have spelling errors--why do you copy people's text verbatim? Especially when this is just plain wrong and has been pointed out to you? Your posts could be deleted on that alone.

6. Why do you treat others who have replied to you over and over with such disrespect?

7. Why don't you give us a psychological interpretation of your Internet behavior?

8. Why don't you ever join in other threads where others are engaged in a particular topic of discussion?

9. Do you think you may be spreading yourself to thin on too many forums rather than hunkering down and focusing on one or two, and really getting into the meat of the matters you post?

10. Do you really think "Dave's gang" (whoever that might be) is venomous or just exasperated and fed up? Would you prefer that everyone ignore your posts, that you are banned? Does it give you some sort of self-satisfaction that people can't relate to what you post? Does it occur to you that your posts are very didactic?

Even when people have responded to points in your posts, you rarely stick with the thread and reply back to their statements. Before you know it, you start a new thread. You would make an awful teacher, so I have to assume your activities are born out of vanity and obsession and/or you like to "dick around with people's heads."

Whatever the reason, you have lost credibility and respect. The only way to recover that, I've mentioned several times now, is to get REAL.

I promise--if you can't or won't answer any of my questions, I will not respond to you ever again. It's rather pointless, eh? I can go read philosophy books on my own.

Go to Top of Page

coberst
Skeptic Friend

182 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  07:28:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit coberst's Homepage Send coberst a Private Message
Tomk80

I can understand an intellectual dispute. However, I cannot understand the massive snarling attack by this bunch of school yard bullies.
Go to Top of Page

coberst
Skeptic Friend

182 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  07:32:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit coberst's Homepage Send coberst a Private Message
Wolfstun

Replying to heckling schoolyard bullies only encourages their misbehavour. I suspect your response to this response will prove my point.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  07:53:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

Wolfstun

Replying to heckling schoolyard bullies only encourages their misbehavour. I suspect your response to this response will prove my point.

Gimmie back my new bike, you fucker big meanie!

Excuse me, but I fail to see the problem. Coberst, you have put up long, rather involved posts that others here have criticized. Dave did some research, that I'd not have bothered with, that is apparently accurate. As I see it, you really have little wigggle room, here.

If you join this forum, you must expect to have your writings disected like a dead frog in a high school biology class. Mine certainly have been, as have everyone else's, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Dave is not your enemy, nor is anyone here. So get off the high horse and relax -- have a little fun. Find the faults and inaccuracties in other's postings; mine, for example.

"Give it to me straight, doctor. I can take it!" - Johnny Fever

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 08/12/2004 07:54:59
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  08:49:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
coberst, look at it this way... when you come in here and post, then refuse to participate in discussion or criticism of your posts, your commiting a hostile act.

Basically, your like a third party at a snowball fight. You stand off to one side, throw a snowball at somebody who's already engaged, and then run inside before they have a chance to throw back.... then you stand in the window eating a cookie and refuse to come back outside.

And you wonder why it irritates people?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  09:01:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Cob you dont seem to understand one important thing about this forum, we are obsessed with the scientific process. Vague philosophic statements applied to science will not get you anywhere here. If you cannot come up something other than opinion or others quoted opinions then perhaps this isnt the forum for you.

It seems to me that you have trouble divorcing yourself from long held philosophic beliefs and perhaps your extensive study of that subject before your critical thinking phase has 'spoiled' you.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  09:07:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Coberst:
I can understand an intellectual dispute. However, I cannot understand the massive snarling attack by this bunch of school yard bullies.

Maybe it is high time you sit back and reflect on that. Why would you be singled out? Use your critical thinking skills. There has never been a better time for you to show what you have got. I'm sure this is painful for you. Lashing out does nothing to make your point and certainly doesn't improve your credibility as a critical thinker. In the past your style has been to belittle everyone who has questioned your assertions and methods. Your doing it again. Using your skills in critical thinking, please support the assertion that you are being attacked by a "bunch of school yard bullies" or "Daves group". Make the case.

A tip: You can start by making your case in the thread you feel the attack has been made. You have started no less than 2 threads to post responses to what you consider to be the offending thread. Not good form and part of the problem.

A warning: If you start another thread pertaining to the original thread, I will lock or delete it. There is just no reason to have all these threads pertaining to one subject.

Pull your finger out, do some actual work and logically defend your style. Now that would be something we could respect, even if we don't agree...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  09:58:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
If you join this forum, you must expect to have your writings disected like a dead frog in a high school biology class.

I ruined my frog in biology... my teacher laughed when he saw the mess.

Coberst, you seem to have gone down the horrible path that many conspiracy theories have gone, where people who disagree critize your work, and then you claim that they are only part of the consiracy. Think of it this way... if you were wrong, if you were not actually doing critical thinking, if your posts were actually flawed, how would critical thinkers and skeptics act? How would they respond?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  15:20:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:

Tomk80

Coberst, the problem seems to be that you consider criticism directed at you as a snarling attack. As far as I see, you very rarely really addressed objections raised to your viewpoints. One of the keypoints in critical thinking, at least for me, is exactly that, address criticism. Untill you do this, the 'snarling' will continue, and rightfully so. That is what everyone is trying to tell you, either directly or (as Wulfstan did) by asking questions.

Why don't you try to answer Wulfstan's questions. I think a lot of them make sense at this point and can at the least give you insight in how other's consider your posts. Do some soulsearching and critically examine your own viewpoints. Distill the objections Dave raised to your behaviour and address them. Critically examining your own viewpoints is one of the fundamentals of critical thinking and one of the few, hard ways on the road to wisdom. Some here are asking you to walk this road, others are shouting at you that you should walk it, trying to bar all other ways. Untill now, it seems you take the easy way out, that of portraying everyone else as ignorance. From here, this road may seem flat and easy, the road of self criticism hard and bumpy. However, the flat and easy road's only effect will be to leave you ignorant, in stead of gaining wisdom. Please try to understand this.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  16:23:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Tom wrote:
quote:
Some here are asking you to walk this road, others are shouting at you that you should walk it, trying to bar all other ways.
If it seems like I'm one of the ones shouting, it's because coberst has made claims that he is already walking the "critical thinking" road and he appears to feel qualified to pave the way, when it's clear to many that he's neither qualified to trailblaze nor is he acting in a manner consistent with his stated goals. That kind of pretense just sickens me.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2004 :  05:06:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Tom wrote:
quote:
Some here are asking you to walk this road, others are shouting at you that you should walk it, trying to bar all other ways.
If it seems like I'm one of the ones shouting, it's because coberst has made claims that he is already walking the "critical thinking" road and he appears to feel qualified to pave the way, when it's clear to many that he's neither qualified to trailblaze nor is he acting in a manner consistent with his stated goals. That kind of pretense just sickens me.

Dave, rereading the sentences, 'shouting' might be considered more negative than I meant it. Thus, what you said is more or less what I meant, albeit a little more accurate.

Tom

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.