Last post from NJ
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  22:47:06  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Hey all, just wanted to say that this will be my last post from New Jersey, as I will be moving to Virginia to start up college tomorrow morning. Hopefully I will be able to get all the comp stuff set up so I can be in the chat tomorrow night, but if not, then later.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  23:19:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

Hey all, just wanted to say that this will be my last post from New Jersey, as I will be moving to Virginia to start up college...

Good luck! There's some beautiful country in Virginia. You might need a new avatar next time you post at SFN. Maybe something like this: http://themave.com/Cooper/ccorner/virginian.jpg
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  02:50:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Enjoy!

My favorite parts of VA are the Dismal Swamp area around the NC line and the mountains up around Fancy Gap. I once found a Timber Rattlesnake (Crotalus h. horridus) hibernacula near the Gap.

And of course, wishing all the best for your studies.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

SciFi Chick
Skeptic Friend

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  06:10:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send SciFi Chick a Private Message
Welcome to the most beautiful state in the union - not that I'm biased or anything.

"There is no 'I' in TEAM, but there is an 'M' and an 'E'." -Carson

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud."
-Sophocles
Edited by - SciFi Chick on 08/18/2004 06:11:18
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  21:38:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Welcome to the most beautiful state in the union - not that I'm biased or anything.

It is beautiful, but I would say the most is Alaska. But I'll give it 4th place.

quote:
You might need a new avatar next time you post at SFN. Maybe something like this: http://themave.com/Cooper/ccorner/virginian.jpg

Ehhh, yea, um, no

Well, I'm pretty much all moved in. I had to unpack from 300 meters away though, and found that T.V.'s and mircowaves increase in weight as distance does (haha, now theres some bad sciene. I really shouldn't be giving the woo-woo's any new ideas, although they seem to have no trouble with coming up with ones by themselves) Been pretty much just running around campus, finding all the places. Went to play volleyball and got spiked in the eye by a 6'5" weight lifter. I'm just glad it didn't swell up... too much. Its kind of amazing how busy I've been, since I don't have any classes yet (they start on Monday). Kind of scary. The other thing that is scary are the toliet seats, they are a darker shade of yellow than the toilets... haha, oh well. Showers are a bit weird, they heads are only 5'5" high, so I have to duck down to wash my hair (and I'm pretty short, only 5'9").

Can't wait for classes to start, although I probably won't be saying so later.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  22:39:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Good luck with the classes! I doubt you will have any trouble with school Ricky.

Just....
(advice? lol, me offering advice? now THAT's funny...)

Well, from my own experience as a freshman about 15 years ago (an extremely unsucessfull attempt at college I might add), I think the key is to make the school a priority over the potential fun to be had.... and there will be ALOT. Some of those pesky freshman level classes require a good bit of work.

Anyway, good luck and have fun

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

SciFi Chick
Skeptic Friend

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2004 :  06:04:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send SciFi Chick a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

quote:

It is beautiful, but I would say the most is Alaska. But I'll give it 4th place.

I haven't seen Alaska, and I don't have a problem admitting I'm biased.

quote:
Well, I'm pretty much all moved in. I had to unpack from 300 meters away though, and found that T.V.'s and mircowaves increase in weight as distance does (haha, now theres some bad sciene. I really shouldn't be giving the woo-woo's any new ideas, although they seem to have no trouble with coming up with ones by themselves) Been pretty much just running around campus, finding all the places. Went to play volleyball and got spiked in the eye by a 6'5" weight lifter. I'm just glad it didn't swell up... too much. Its kind of amazing how busy I've been, since I don't have any classes yet (they start on Monday). Kind of scary. The other thing that is scary are the toliet seats, they are a darker shade of yellow than the toilets... haha, oh well. Showers are a bit weird, they heads are only 5'5" high, so I have to duck down to wash my hair (and I'm pretty short, only 5'9").

This is exactly why I'm glad I don't have to live on grounds. I'm moving next weekend, and I'll be in a lovely apartment that I just realized is right off of the Constitution Route, and a couple of miles from Jefferson's Monticello.

quote:
Can't wait for classes to start, although I probably won't be saying so later.

I know EXACTLY how you feel. You're starting about a week and a half before I do. U.Va. starts September 1. I'm a transfer student myself, so I'll be a junior this year, and what I'm excited about is finally getting to the good stuff in my major.

I'm also going insane with the language classes - German 101 and Latin 101 at the same time.

I've thrown in a little Astronomy for balance. What are your classes?

"There is no 'I' in TEAM, but there is an 'M' and an 'E'." -Carson

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud."
-Sophocles
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2004 :  07:19:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
My classes for this semester are:

Computer Science (2nd semester, I took the ab test and got out of the first)
Intro to Engineering (I have to take this cause Computer Science is in the College of Engineering, and all students who are in that must take some Engineering courses)
Honors Freshman English
Calc 1
Linear Algebra
Intro to Humanities, Science, & Tech

I really wanted to take an astronomy course, and maybe even a geology course, but my schedual just doesn't allow me to (at least for right now). I'm thinking of taking a summer course like that, but I'm not sure.

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  14:49:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
Have fun, Ricky, but (as Dude said) not too much fun. That's what I did the first time I went to college. Had to join the military to get back. Bad stuff. Don't do it that way. Anyway, college rocks! Hope you make the best of it.

edited to correct a dumn spelling mistake
Edited by - Boron10 on 08/22/2004 14:50:12
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  17:23:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Same. Joined the military after a bad go-round with my first semester of college.... heh.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.