Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  08:27:57  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Whilst researching for another essay, I happened to stumble across this:

quote:
A demonically-contaminated person, Christian or non-Christian, simply needs supernatural healing. 'Casting out' a demon is a divine-healing function and so should not be labelled an 'exorcism' as though it fell into a unique category, for this error has helped to cloud the issue with pagan ideas.
The first step in this healing is usually to understand the cause of the vulnerability, for the contamination will recur, as Jesus warned (Matt.12:), if its cause is not adequately dealt with.

http://www.81a.f2s.com/lloydthomas/6-ChurchLifeIssues/demons.html

I can understand why medieval peoples might have believed in demons and angels, but in today's educated society I fail to see how these myths can be perpetuated. The article contains some evidence, all of it ancedotal. :roll eyes:

Sadly, this piece is quite well written.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 09/01/2004 08:30:26

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  08:39:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Whilst researching for another essay, I happened to stumble across this:

quote:
A demonically-contaminated person, Christian or non-Christian, simply needs supernatural healing. 'Casting out' a demon is a divine-healing function and so should not be labelled an 'exorcism' as though it fell into a unique category, for this error has helped to cloud the issue with pagan ideas.
The first step in this healing is usually to understand the cause of the vulnerability, for the contamination will recur, as Jesus warned (Matt.12:), if its cause is not adequately dealt with.

http://www.81a.f2s.com/lloydthomas/6-ChurchLifeIssues/demons.html

I can understand why medieval peoples might have believed in demons and angels, but in today's educated society I fail to see how these myths can be perpetuated. The article contains some evidence, all of it ancedotal. :roll eyes:

Sadly, this piece is quite well written.

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2398

http://www.freedomkeepers.com

http://www.boblarson.org/

It remains among us in the extremist Evangelical Christian subsects. The middle link is run by my younger brother. You can see the full exchange that we had here on the top link.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  08:59:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy
I can understand why medieval peoples might have believed in demons and angels, but in today's educated society I fail to see how these myths can be perpetuated.

See, that's were you're going wrong. After having spend some time at some of the new creationist forums and websites, and having lost some brain cells in the mean time, I can only come to the conclusion that current society has a lot of aspects, but education is not one which is wide spread.

By the by, anyone noticed the new creationist trend of erecting 'discussion' forums 'for creationists only'?

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Edited by - tomk80 on 09/01/2004 09:01:05
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  09:03:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
By now you should know better than to be surprised by anything people believe.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Baxter
Skeptic Friend

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  10:40:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Baxter a Private Message
There is a book sold in many Christian bookstores called 'He Came to Set the Captives Free' by Rebecca Brown. This book is supposed to be non-fiction, and it's insane. She claims to have seen werewolves, demons, and Satan himself. Says she was a high priestess in Satanism or something. Many christians believe this sort of thing, it's not uncommon.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  11:04:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Val, I now recall that thread. The whole thing makes me think that this topic should be shifted over to E/C and the discussion should be upon how an evolutionary basket case such as ourselves could possibly survive.

I'm currently working on St. Andrew's Fire (ergot poisoning) in the Middle Ages and it's so interesting that I momentarily forgot that we are members of a species of blithering dingbats.

Thanks, I think, for the links and the reality check.

Edited to welcome Baxter. Hi, bro! Great to see ya here! I still have a couple of writings to go and I'm thinking of doing one on lycanthrophy, origins and so forth.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 09/01/2004 11:17:37
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  16:43:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Filthy:
I'm currently working on St. Andrew's Fire (ergot poisoning) in the Middle Ages and it's so interesting that I momentarily forgot that we are members of a species of blithering dingbats.

I read a book that I think was called St. Andrew's Fire. It was about how the folks of a small town in France ate some bad bread from the local bakery. Of course, it was ergot poisoning. A whole lot of people on a shit load of "acid" without knowing it can be trouble...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  20:04:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:
Filthy:

I read a book that I think was called St. Andrew's Fire. It was about how the folks of a small town in France ate some bad bread from the local bakery. Of course, it was ergot poisoning. A whole lot of people on a shit load of "acid" without knowing it can be trouble...

I read the same book back in the '70s. The title is The Day of Saint Anthony's Fire . Can't remember the author; the outbreak, IIRC, was in the early '50s.

The contaminated bread was visibly "off", but people ate it anyway. Historical ergotism, as it's also known, is so rare nowadays that diagnosing it could take a while; it's not the sort of thing that modern doctors see often enough to be familiar with.

There was also an episode of Quincy that dealt with an outbreak on a cruise ship.

Edited to add: The outbreak was in Pont St Esprit, France, in 1951. The book was by John Grant Fuller and is out of print.

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Edited by - ktesibios on 09/01/2004 20:13:51
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  02:53:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
It's fascinating stuff. In the Middle Ages, the infected, off-colored kernels were thought to be just part of the plant and got milled with the rest. The European peasantry used a coarse, rye flour to thicken their pottage and bake a rough, heavy bread. As a result, ergot poisoning was pretty common, especally after a cold winter and a wet spring and summer. It led to all sorts things including accusations of demon possession.

It's as much fun to research and write about as the plague.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  03:01:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Yeah, thank Owsley for ergot-25. Who's your hero--Kesey or Leary? Is everyone in here too young to know what I'm talking about?

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  06:10:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tim

Yeah, thank Owsley for ergot-25. Who's your hero--Kesey or Leary? Is everyone in here too young to know what I'm talking about?

I'm just young enough to not quite know the full meaning.

I'm assuming Leary of "tune in, turn on, drop out" fame.

I was watching a program where someone suggested that the Salem witch trials happened due to ergot poisoning.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  08:45:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Tim:

It was Dr. Albert Hofman who first synthesized LSD 25 (D-lysergic acid diethylamide)at the Sandoz Labs back in 1938. In the early to mid sixties it was possible to get Sandoz acid legally in the US.
Anyhow, Owsley filled the void when acid became illegal. His was "Da Kine." Kesey and his Merry Pranksters and Leary both made contributions to the "culture." Personally, I thought Leary was funny but crazy...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  08:57:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tim

I've found Leary merely weird, thus, my choice is Ken Kesey. Such a pity that he only wrote one book.

Yeah, I know where you're comin' from.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  09:09:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Ken Kesey. Love him. One Flew Over the Cuckoos's Nest and Sometimes a Great Notion.

Read also, Tom Wolfe's Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  09:24:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Filthy:
I've found Leary merely weird, thus, my choice is Ken Kesey. Such a pity that he only wrote one book.

Besides "One flew Over the Cuckoos Nest" he also wrote "Sometimes a Great Notion."
quote:

Kesey's next novel, SOMETIMES A GREAT NOTION appeared two years later and was also made into a film, this time directed by Paul Newman.

Later:
quote:
In the early 1970s Kesey returned to writing and published KESEY'S GARAGE SALE (1973). His later works include the children's book LITTLE TRICKER THE SQUIRREL MEETS BIG DOUBLE THE BEAR (1990) and SAILOR SONG (1992), a futuristic tale about an Alaskan fishing village and Hollywood film crew. LAST GO ROUND (1994), Kesey's last book, was an account of a famous Oregon rodeo written in the form of pulp fiction.

http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/quickstep/1103/kesey_ken.htm

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  09:28:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

Ken Kesey. Love him. One Flew Over the Cuckoos's Nest and Sometimes a Great Notion.

Read also, Tom Wolfe's Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test.

Done it.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was a superb work. Alas, the rest of Kesey's writing didn't match it. The title was especally poetic taken in context with the text. You see, cuckoos don't build nests; rather they parasitize the nests of other birds and even their parential care.

quote:
"One flew East,
And one flew west,
And one flew over the cuckoo's nest."

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.