Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2003 :  09:05:30  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
http://www.freedomkeepers.net/

This is my idiot brother and sister-in-law. He told me he and her were recently ordained. The are believing in/doing the following

1) Bob Larsen BS exocisms

2) Treating Satanic Ritual Abuse victims

3) Working against the Evil(tm) Freemasons

4) Appearing on an exorcism documentary for the Discovery Channel

He called me on Thanksgiving to give me this Good(tm) news. I had started drinking a really nice Zinfandel and started telling him how much I thought what he believed was bullshit. I backed it up with sources and of course, he changed the subject.

He has been very inconsistent about his housing situation. This last one places him purchasing 16 acres in a wooded inset lot for a forest preserve. What I fear is that he is purchasing this land to erect a church. The kind of lock step crap he is espousing makes him a candidate for the "don't drink the Kool-aide" award. Short of having him and his wife kidnapped and deprogrammed, there's not much I can do.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2003 :  09:58:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Well, that certainly trumps my wife reading tarot cards...

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2003 :  10:14:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you've taken this web site waaaay too seriously.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2003 :  10:57:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
So, Valiant Dancer, does your brother take up snakes and drink poison on a regular basis, or just once in a while?

I've actually heard my wife's aunt speak in tongues. Spooky, very spooky.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2003 :  13:46:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

So, Valiant Dancer, does your brother take up snakes and drink poison on a regular basis, or just once in a while?

I've actually heard my wife's aunt speak in tongues. Spooky, very spooky.

He hasn't told me of any of it. (I tended to deride members who took up poisonous serpents and drank stricine(sp) as trying desperately to end up on the Darwin awards list.) He expressed admiration and assured me of the Biblical nature of such acts. I said that I'd rather believe science which generally says that drinking an anti-coagulant in copious amounts is bad.

He does believe in the whole "speaking in toungues" BS and has convinced himself that some members of his cult.....I mean church speak in a myriad of languages he doesn't understand but he can name. He told me that during one "exorcism", the "demon" spoke French. Too bad that neither he nor his wife speak that language.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2003 :  14:10:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
My wife's aunt, when she speaks in tongues, speaks utter gibberish. She would probably claim that "speaking in French" does not equal "speaking in tongues," but I'm not gonna ask her. Last time she and I talked about religion, I came real close to stopping the car and leaving her on the side of the road.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Avenel
Skeptic Friend

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2003 :  14:40:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Avenel a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

My wife's aunt, when she speaks in tongues, speaks utter gibberish. She would probably claim that "speaking in French" does not equal "speaking in tongues," but I'm not gonna ask her.

According to the Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance, there are two varieties of 'speaking in tongues'. One is Glossolalia, which sounds like gibberish, and the other is Xenoglossia, which is being able to speak an actual language without previously having learned that language.

"How many angels can swim on the head of a beer?" - Roger Ramjet
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2003 :  15:40:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
And here's a Glossolalia or two from that televang-scammer, Robert Tilton.

http://www.weirdcrap.com/tilton/tongue2.wav

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

nfidel 42

14 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2003 :  19:35:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send nfidel 42 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Randy

And here's a Glossolalia or two from that televang-scammer, Robert Tilton.

http://www.weirdcrap.com/tilton/tongue2.wav

Before I got rid of the ex, I was making the bed one day and found a scrap of cloth under my side of the mattress. I had never seen this rectangle of material before and so asked her about it. I was informed that she had given my good money to that bastard Robert Tilton for a "prayer cloth". Supposedly he prayed over these things, and if you placed them in proximity of the person with the problem, said person would be healed. She evidently wanted to heal me of being a bad husband. Must not have worked.

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do." --Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

rvarno

5 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2004 :  19:53:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send rvarno a Private Message
Joe (sorry - Valiant - is that Plymouth Valiant?),

While doing research for an article in Christianity Today on our ministry and some of the people we have helped, one of our friends came across your post. I appreciate you posting the link to our site as it seems that many people here suffer from past abuse, pain and torment.

I'm actually glad I found this site because you are normally pretty superficial in our conversations. Now I have a lot better idea of how you really think. I have read many of your posts and would observe that for the most part they are well thought out, insightful and heartfelt. But I hear something else as well. I hear anger. I hear hurt. I hear rage. Now granted, we had a similar upbringing, good parents (although non-religious), a comfortable home life, etc… I wonder what it was that turned you so vehemently against the God of the Bible. I know you have heard the Gospel in clear terms (if not I would be happy to tell you about it again) I know you go to a ‘Christian' church, yet there is a book on witchcraft in the same bookcase as your bible. It puzzles me. Nevertheless, know that I will continue to pray for you daily.

Now, to answer some of the questions raised in this post:

1. On Thanksgiving, the reason I changed the subject so quickly is not because there are not facts to support what we do, its because you have a pretty quick temper, and I didn't want to ruin your holiday. As far as SRA, I received your email and would have to agree, these cases sound pretty fishy to me. Obviously someone trying to blame a cult for their own perversion and criminal behavior. The Satanists we have ministered to were generally in tight family groups, and did not leave evidence of their atrocities. (Except for in the minds and bodies of the people and animals they tortured and tormented)

2. Taking up snakes / drinking deadly poison: As told in the book of Acts, when the Apostle Paul was shipwrecked on the Isle of Malta, a poisonous viper was driven out of the fire and bit him on the hand. He shook it off with no effect. (Acts 28:3) This is what the scripture refers to. Now mind you, I have been tempted a time or two to bring a rubber snake to church, just to freak out my Baptist friends… Same thing with poison, there are times when people (I should say witches) have tried to poison us, but God protected us.

3. Bob Larson Exorcisms. Actually they are not Bob Larson exorcisms, they are just your basic, bible based, everyday exorcisms just like the Apostles did. The Bible talks about casting out demons just as much as it talks about preaching the Gospel and healing the sick. Frankly, you don't have to be a Satanist or a witch to be afflicted by a demon. We have found that there are 6 basic ways (or entries) a person can give the demonic a foothold in their life. Abuse, Abandonment, Addiction, Willful Sin, Occult Entanglement, and Generational Inheritance. In actuality, the Devil gets a lot more mileage out of unforgiveness, bitterness and hatred than most ritualistic practices.

4. Demons (not people) speaking in other languages. Actually it wasn't French, it was German. We know it was German, because two of our team members are from Germany, and spoke with it in that language.

I hope this clears up some of your questions about what we do. I won't make any Jim Jones jokes here because, frankly, the punch line is too long.

Sincerely,
Your little (but probably not so idiot as you think) brother.
Rich
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  03:40:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Is this for real?

If so...

Val...You have my sympathy.

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  03:51:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Again, if this is real...Rvarno, welcome to the board, but I hope that you realize that your beliefs are going to be seen as pretty bizarre around here. Nevertheless, most of the folks here will attempt to remain friendly and welcoming, but still ready for rousing debate.

By the way, I would be interested in hearing more about the 'atrocities' commited by the Satanists, and why there is no evidence, and why those that are rescued have not been able to come forward and expose those that continue to commit 'atrocities'.

If someone is being harmed, I think my first instinct would be to stop the abuse, then worry about the souls.

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  06:06:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
quote:
Abuse, Abandonment, Addiction, Willful Sin, Occult Entanglement, and Generational Inheritance.

There goes my weekend fun!

Seriously, though I'll probably regret asking: What is sinful about generational inheritance? Is Satan lurking on my grandmother's diamond ring?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  07:48:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Well, dip me in honey and throw me to the lesbians; if that don't just beat all!

I'd be happy to loan them a rattlesnake. Gots a South American beauty (terrificus) that would provide thrilling, if brief, faith-based entertainment.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  08:14:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by rvarno

Joe (sorry - Valiant - is that Plymouth Valiant?),

While doing research for an article in Christianity Today on our ministry and some of the people we have helped, one of our friends came across your post. I appreciate you posting the link to our site as it seems that many people here suffer from past abuse, pain and torment.

I'm actually glad I found this site because you are normally pretty superficial in our conversations. Now I have a lot better idea of how you really think. I have read many of your posts and would observe that for the most part they are well thought out, insightful and heartfelt. But I hear something else as well. I hear anger. I hear hurt. I hear rage. Now granted, we had a similar upbringing, good parents (although non-religious), a comfortable home life, etc… I wonder what it was that turned you so vehemently against the God of the Bible. I know you have heard the Gospel in clear terms (if not I would be happy to tell you about it again) I know you go to a ‘Christian' church, yet there is a book on witchcraft in the same bookcase as your bible. It puzzles me. Nevertheless, know that I will continue to pray for you daily.

Now, to answer some of the questions raised in this post:

1. On Thanksgiving, the reason I changed the subject so quickly is not because there are not facts to support what we do, its because you have a pretty quick temper, and I didn't want to ruin your holiday. As far as SRA, I received your email and would have to agree, these cases sound pretty fishy to me. Obviously someone trying to blame a cult for their own perversion and criminal behavior. The Satanists we have ministered to were generally in tight family groups, and did not leave evidence of their atrocities. (Except for in the minds and bodies of the people and animals they tortured and tormented)

2. Taking up snakes / drinking deadly poison: As told in the book of Acts, when the Apostle Paul was shipwrecked on the Isle of Malta, a poisonous viper was driven out of the fire and bit him on the hand. He shook it off with no effect. (Acts 28:3) This is what the scripture refers to. Now mind you, I have been tempted a time or two to bring a rubber snake to church, just to freak out my Baptist friends… Same thing with poison, there are times when people (I should say witches) have tried to poison us, but God protected us.

3. Bob Larson Exorcisms. Actually they are not Bob Larson exorcisms, they are just your basic, bible based, everyday exorcisms just like the Apostles did. The Bible talks about casting out demons just as much as it talks about preaching the Gospel and healing the sick. Frankly, you don't have to be a Satanist or a witch to be afflicted by a demon. We have found that there are 6 basic ways (or entries) a person can give the demonic a foothold in their life. Abuse, Abandonment, Addiction, Willful Sin, Occult Entanglement, and Generational Inheritance. In actuality, the Devil gets a lot more mileage out of unforgiveness, bitterness and hatred than most ritualistic practices.

4. Demons (not people) speaking in other languages. Actually it wasn't French, it was German. We know it was German, because two of our team members are from Germany, and spoke with it in that language.

I hope this clears up some of your questions about what we do. I won't make any Jim Jones jokes here because, frankly, the punch line is too long.

Sincerely,
Your little (but probably not so idiot as you think) brother.
Rich

A few points, little bro.

1) I think anyone who devotes their lives to such a branch of Christianity that is so far off the mainstream that it revels in it has some serious problems.

2) My opinion is that you and your wife

Edited by - Valiant Dancer on 01/26/2004 11:53:16
Go to Top of Page

razor

6 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  09:45:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send razor a Private Message
Hello everyone,

I've been frequenting this sight for several months now and it is definitely my favorite. I'm not a very chatty person but something about this thread made we want to jump in and introduce myself. I find it humorous that Valiant Dancer's little brother showed up while he was playing with his grown up friends on this evil skeptics website.

I also split my side thinking about Nfidel 42's post about his wife giving money to Robert Tilton. My wife is a devout christian and I'm a total non-believer which makes for an interesting combination, but thank Jebus she's never given money to that charlatan. I may have had to chop off her head. It also reminded me of some times past (did Dubya call them youthful indiscretions?)of watching that bozo speak in tongues while I was stoned. That was some of the most intense laughter I've ever experienced.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this place and really enjoy reading and learning from everyone here.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.