Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  13:38:19  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
This is the appropriate folder for this, no? I figured it would be because Eugenics focus is to increase the health of humans, but feel free to move it if you think it belongs in the General Skeptic or Evolution folder.

Anyways, in one of my classes Humanities, Science, and Technology, we are talking about Eugenics this week. On Friday, we have a discussion class. There, after two classes, I am already looked at as the expert on science (teaching the scientific method 2 weeks ago, the difference between bad science (atom bomb) and pseudoscience (homeopathy) as well as Theory or Relativity last week), so I just want to be prepared and I have not looked to much into Eugenics.

So far, what I see wrong with it is:

1.) It goes against diversity which evolution has been shown to "favor"
2.) Also goes against evolution which shows a gaining in complexity (the source we had claimed that humans, if left to reproduce freely, would tend towards disorder)
3.) Based upon the misconception that behavior is genetic instead of created by society and environment

Is there something I missed? Any good (but please, not too long) article would be awsome.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov

Edited by - Ricky on 09/12/2004 13:39:40

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  15:37:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky
So far, what I see wrong with it is:

1.) It goes against diversity which evolution has been shown to "favor"
Isn't eugenics "artificial selection" instead of "natural selection"?
In a society where fatal deceases no longer are weeded out by premature deaths (like hemophilia, colour-blindness etc.) the lack of natural selection may actually be harmful in the long run. Selection, natural or otherwise would be useful for the survival of the spices.

In what context is the discussion? In several countries, including USA and Sweden, sterilisation was a method of eugenics to prevent people with mental handicaps from procreating. In several instances, even people with minor defects were "treated for the good of the society". These were not moments in history we should be proud of. None the less, they did happen.

quote:

3.) Based upon the misconception that behavior is genetic instead of created by society and environment
Behaviour is a complex trait... Some of it might indeed be genetic. Aren't live stock bred with at least a thought that the offspring should be docile?
Pit-bulls are bred to be aggressive.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 09/12/2004 15:39:50
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  16:47:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Isn't eugenics "artificial selection" instead of "natural selection"?

Yes, but it doesn't matter, it would still result in evolution (which is just a change in the gene pool).

quote:
In a society where fatal deceases no longer are weeded out by premature deaths (like hemophilia, colour-blindness etc.) the lack of natural selection may actually be harmful in the long run. Selection, natural or otherwise would be useful for the survival of the spices.

However, such diseases can be beneficial. I would like to point out Sickle Cell, in which the red blood cells are slightly mutated. When (I think I have the terms right here, but not sure) the merozoites (stage of Malaria) infect the red blood cells, it changes (once again, I think) the pH level, which deforms the cell just enough so that the white blood cells attack the red blood cell, thus stopping the spreading of the virus.

Wow, I'm starting to forget things I learned in biology. I would check that this is correct, but I don't have much time. So in this situation, it is beneficial. I'm not sure if there are others (more common) examples of this however. But diversity is always wanted, and its something that Eugenics eliminates. And natural selection through these is still very much in effect in third world countries.

quote:
In what context is the discussion? In several countries, including USA and Sweden, sterilisation was a method of eugenics to prevent people with mental handicaps from procreating. In several instances, even people with minor defects were "treated for the good of the society". These were not moments in history we should be proud of. None the less, they did happen.

The main theme of the course is how society has shaped technology and how technology shaped society, and how it is doing so today. Its global, not just of America.

quote:
Behaviour is a complex trait... Some of it might indeed be genetic. Aren't live stock bred with at least a thought that the offspring should be docile?
Pit-bulls are bred to be aggressive.

There are many exceptions to pit-bulls being aggressive. Could this just be diversity of a gene pool, or is it a learned behavior? Based off of instinct, I lean towards learned behavior, but I'm not sure.

And yes, behavior is very complex and some of it may be genetic, but once again, my gut instinct tells me that very much of it is learned, but once again, I'm not sure.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 09/12/2004 16:51:11
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  17:55:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
As far as I'm aware, I don't think there is much objection to Eugenics in theory, but more in the morality of the practice. That humans can effectively alter the traits of species through selective breeding has been demonstrated by domesticated animals, though obviously there are health issues with purebreds not found in mongrels.

However, there are ethical questions regarding such human experimentation. Finding a suitably large and willing human population is more difficult. Almost aways, breeding for traits is objected to by the participants. Thus far, the only manner to institute such a program is by force.

I know Hitler envisioned a genetically superior master race, and we all know where that landed him. One time sports caster Jimmy "The Greek" lost his job for speculating that black Americans may enjoy an advantage in sports due to selective breeding for physical strength and stamina during the years of slavery. Since the observation smacked of racism, he lost his job, though I'm not certain he was ever really proven incorrect in his assumption. Forced slavery and brutal living conditions would indeed be capable of selecting for such traits.

Less clear is the idea of altering the human genome directly, without breeding programs. Some feel it would still be unethical, while others take the opposing view.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 09/12/2004 22:32:55
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  18:40:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
The main problem with eugenics, as H. Humbert almost got to, is this: who gets to pick the people who get to mate, and those who don't?

Genetically and evolutionarily, forbidding a person to reproduce is the same as a death sentence. In those states which still have the death penalty, such a punishment is automatically appealed, and usually appealed at least once more after that if necessary.

How many eugenics programs have ever had (or will ever have) an appeals system like that?

So, who gets to choose who breeds and who doesn't? While I do think there are a few things which should be done "for the greater good," they involve an inconvenience to the minority, and not the mass murder of the minority.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  19:54:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

The main problem with eugenics, as H. Humbert almost got to, is this: who gets to pick the people who get to mate, and those who don't?

In Robert Heinlein's sci-fi story "Methuselah's Children", a eugenics program for longevity worked successfully by means of financial incentives. Such a program would be much slower than brute force, but it would not intrude on civil and personal liberties.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  22:39:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Yes, Dave, you are correct. Always a fault of mine, dancing around an issue. Even before I began posting here I had always esteemed your ability to see a problem and, most importantly, relate it in its simplest and most fundamental terms. That is, you have an amazing ability to cut through bullshit.

I really admire that.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

Edited by - H. Humbert on 09/12/2004 22:47:24
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  23:49:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Is there no problem with limiting diversity? Wouldn't this be harmful to a species?

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  02:11:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:

Is there no problem with limiting diversity? Wouldn't this be harmful to a species?

There definitely can be a problem. We see it in agriculture, were large monocultures are very vulnerable to certain diseases. In humans, the same would apply if a virus or bacteria got a mutation which made it effectively infect humans. I think it is highly probable that we wouldn't be able to fight such a disease in that case. If it spread rapidly, you would get situations as seen with the plague in Europe or SARS in China.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  11:08:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message
quote:

I also am not to sure about this being a misconception. It seems to me that most of the behavioral experts currently believe that it is a mix of the two with much argument as to the mix. 50/50?, 70/30?, 80/20? This is where I find the studies of identical twins that were separated at birth can provide some insight. I think this topic will be argued indefinitely but those twin studies do appear to show a stronger genetic component over society & environment. Thus "bad seeds" will almost always remain so, while the "fence sitters" will probably be lost or saved depending on social and environmental factors.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  12:11:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/americas/1965811.stm

Virginia apology for eugenics program.

Ricky have you read, 'The Mismeasure of Man'?

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  16:02:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Virginia apology for eugenics program.

Yes, that happened in an area not too far away. The article says over 60,000, recent counts have been up to 70,000.

quote:
I also am not to sure about this being a misconception. It seems to me that most of the behavioral experts currently believe that it is a mix of the two with much argument as to the mix. 50/50?, 70/30?, 80/20? This is where I find the studies of identical twins that were separated at birth can provide some insight. I think this topic will be argued indefinitely but those twin studies do appear to show a stronger genetic component over society & environment. Thus "bad seeds" will almost always remain so, while the "fence sitters" will probably be lost or saved depending on social and environmental factors.

Yes, I'm sorry, I did I bad job there. What I meant was entirely based upon genetics.

However, isn't there evidence against it? The crime rate is much higher in families below poverty level. Would that not indicate that it is in fact environment in which you are raise in and not genetics?

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  16:18:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
... the crime rate is much higher in families below poverty level. Would that not indicate that it is in fact environment in which you are raise in and not genetics?

Not necessarily. I have heard it theorized that money might function as a selection pressure in a free society. Those with the best genes are succesful and earn the biggest paychecks. They also choose healthy and attractive mates. Their offspring then enjoy a hereditary advantage, which is accentuated over succeeding generations. People with emotional or intellectual deficiencies are less econmically successful, thus consigned to lower social levels and breeding with similar individuals.

Now, I'm not saying I agree with this position at all, since it implies that poor people are "meant" to be poor by design. (Or were at least "out competed" for resources.) And it doesn't take into account such things as level of education, or really, any environmental factors at all. But still, this line of reasoning is there.

Further muddying the issue, high crime rates could simply be a result of poverty itself (need based stealing, for instance) without it being necessary to posit either a genetic or learned cause for it.

In short, I don't think its possible to conclude with certainty that environment is the sole source in shaping an individual's behavior, or that genetics plays no role.

Edited by - H. Humbert on 09/13/2004 19:14:56
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  17:01:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Take a baby whos family has been in the upper class for many generations. Put him a poor community. Take a child of a family who has lived in poverty for many years, put him in the upper class.

Heh, it can be a whole new reality show (and a whole new low for TV).

Seems a bit immoral to me....

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  19:08:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
H. Humbert wrote:
quote:
Yes, Dave, you are correct. Always a fault of mine, dancing around an issue.
Hmmm... Thanks for the compliment, but perhaps my emphasis came out the wrong way. I was trying to say that you came this [holds up thumb and forefinger a hair apart] close to what I thought was a core issue. I wasn't attempting to criticize.

Ricky wrote:
quote:
Take a baby whos family has been in the upper class for many generations. Put him a poor community. Take a child of a family who has lived in poverty for many years, put him in the upper class.

Heh, it can be a whole new reality show (and a whole new low for TV).
Wasn't that the plot to Trading Places?

Seriously, Steven Pinker stirred up a lot of controversy by saying that the established psychological ideas - that behaviour is entirely environmental - were so much dogma, in his book, The Blank Slate. The title refers to the idea that everyone starts out as a blank slate, with no particular behavioural traits, and are molded by family, experiences, and society into the people they become. Pinker called "baloney" on that.

I'm no psychologist, but I've never thought that the extremes - either all environment or all genetics - were correct. The real answer has to be somewhere in the middle, since serious hormonal imbalances (for just one example) can create massive changes in behaviour, and also because it's pretty obvious that people can and do overcome "base desires" all the time.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  21:47:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Eugenics has gotten a bad rap in the last century. It has a really negative connotation thanks to the likes of Hitler and others.

Dave W also hit one of the major problems.... if you have a eugenics program, who gets to be in charge?

If you were to remove the "selective breeding" from the definition of eugenics and replace it with "selection of desired traits" and have the technology widely available (like invitro clinics are now) to the general public, the negative conotation might disapear.
Some fertility clinics already use genetic screening to eliminate the major genetic diseases (like Downs). As the technology progresses more screening options are likely to become available.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds.