What do you think of this claim?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  23:03:25  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
http://www.mercola.com/2004/sep/8/plaque_arteries.htm

quote:
The women who included fish at least once a week into their diet were shown to have lesser lesions in their arteries than the women who ate fish less frequently. Even more significant were the findings revealing that women with diabetes who consumed fish more than once a week displayed a 60 percent less narrowing of the arteries than the women who ate less than two servings of fish each week.

Smells fishy to me, what do you guys think?

Edit: I would do research on this, but I got a 7 page paper due tomorrow, so hopefully I can find some better information on it on the weekend.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov

Edited by - Ricky on 09/15/2004 23:04:15

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  02:34:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
One more research pointing to the beneficial effects of fish. Which is good, cause I like fish, especially fatty fish

According to this review some of the unsaturated fatty acids ingested by eating fish regulate the cells in the cell wall of the artery. This regulation keeps them from forming plaques, which in turn reduces coronary artery disease. IIRC, these fatty acids are mainly present in fresh, fatty fish.

I also remember having read reports that fish consumption reduces cancer risk, but I'm not sure whether these findings have been reproduced in later reports.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  05:58:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Fatty fish oils - like whitefish or cod - are heavy in omega-3 fatty acids (also "n3 fatty acids"), which have some anti-inflammatory and blood-thinning properties. Since atherosclerosis is largely an inflammatory process, one would think that a high intake of omega-3s would have a beneficial effect.

It has a slight effect on another inflammatory disease: psoriasis. The effect in psoriasis is better if the omega-3 oils are infused, via IV, into the bloodstream rather than ingested. I imagine the same might be true for heart disease.

On the down side, years ago I read one account of how people who take large amounts of omega-3 oils can doom themselves to serious problems if they fail to inform their doctors about it prior to, say, major surgery. The blood-thinning effects can cause a person to "bleed out" in circumstances where they would otherwise be fine. Including accidents.

So, as with all medications (and if you're going to use omega-3s to treat heart disease, you're using them as a drug), know what you're taking, how much, and why.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  06:09:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Oh, and I also wanted to say that much of what the Mercola site has to say, at least with regard to psoriasis (which is how I was introduced to the site), is nonsense. It's alarmist crap like this:
Omega-3 is essential to the human body, however the diets of most Americans are dangerously low in omega-3. As a matter of fact, researchers believe that about 60 percent of Americans are deficient in Omega-3 fatty acids, and 20 percent have so little that test methods cannot even detect any in their blood.
which drives Mercola's money-making sales of products. After all, if omega-3s are essential, then 1/5th of the US population should be actively dying from deficiency. It's not happening.

Note also that many people suggest that a balance between omega-3s (anti-inflammatory) and omega-6s (pro-inflammatory) should be maintained, as eliminating inflammation would leave a person open to infection of all sorts, and retard wound healing. Mercola fails to mention this at all, even if the "balance" idea is completely full of crap. He's too busy yakking about mercury contamination and switching from fish oil to cod oil - despite cod being fish. Argh!

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  14:41:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Not sure about the mercola numbers.... but I have read multiple sources that suggest n3-fatty acid intake (from cold-water fish, like cod) in moderate ammounts can be beneficial to cardiac health.

In combination with a generally healthy lifstyle it's probably helpfull.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.