General Discussion
 FYI, Russia has reverted to dictatorship
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  09:09:27  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Mr. Putin, a former KGB, who has been consolidating power since his election by taking over media sources and reestablishing the aura of fear around the Kremlin, "announced yesterday that he would be stripping Russias 89 regions of their autority and electoral legitamacy" [NYT] Thus forcing the goveners to serve him instead of the people who eleceted them.

The governors put up no protest one quoted as saying "An end will be put to the various demonstrations of extremism - religious, political and other." They will replace elections with presidential appointments, how the president is chosen or if it still will be is unknown at this time.

Good editorial from WP, most natable was the Bush/Kerry reactions
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21910-2004Sep14.html

Most of the news services didnt even have a story about this how sad...

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  10:03:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
dubya must be green with envy.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  10:18:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
That is seriously fucked up.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  19:34:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by furshur

No kidding. What's frightening is how easily Putin could do this. Doubtless the limited history of political freedoms in Russia is facilitating some of these moves-- I doubt that our idiot President could get away with such a bold plan...
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  02:51:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:

Actually Dubya (and Colin Powel ) criticized Putins actions.

So how do we know what W really thinks?

"If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier... ( Chuckles ) ( laughter ) ...just so long as I'm the dictator. ( Laughter )"
-- President-elect George W Bush. Dec 18, 2000

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  03:15:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

quote:

No kidding. What's frightening is how easily Putin could do this. Doubtless the limited history of political freedoms in Russia is facilitating some of these moves-- I doubt that our idiot President could get away with such a bold plan...

That, combined with the chaos left behind by Jeltsin.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  05:58:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Actually Dubya didnt say anything about it, powell did.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  07:03:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Actually Dubya didnt say anything about it,....

Came yesterday:

"You know, recently I talked to President Putin of Russia. I told him this country mourns the loss of life as a result of the terrorist attacks, the terrorist attack on the school. I told him we stand shoulder-to-shoulder with them in fighting terror, that we abhor men who kill innocent children to try to achieve a dark vision. I'm also concerned about the decisions that are being made in Russia that could undermine democracy in Russia; that great countries, great democracies have a balance of power between central government and local governments, a balance of power within central governments between the executive branch and the legislative branch and the judicial branch. As governments fight the enemies of democracy, they must uphold the principles of democracy. "
Wednesday, September 15, 2004

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Edited by - Starman on 09/16/2004 07:13:56
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  10:08:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

quote:

Actually Dubya (and Colin Powel ) criticized Putins actions.

So how do we know what W really thinks?

"If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier... ( Chuckles ) ( laughter ) ...just so long as I'm the dictator. ( Laughter )"
-- President-elect George W Bush. Dec 18, 2000

Bush as a dictator. That's enough to give me nightmares. I fear for my poor country's integrity.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  10:26:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia
Bush as a dictator. That's enough to give me nightmares. I fear for my poor country's integrity.

Yea that's scary.
If he was a dictator he could start wars, imprison people without a trial, have suspected enemies tortured, steal money and give it to his supporters, lie unchallenged...

-- Terry Jones
Edited by - Starman on 09/21/2004 10:32:14
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  10:50:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
lie unchallenged...

That reminded me of a story I heard on the radio. They got their hands on a news paper from North Korea which claimed that Kim Jong Il (the dictator) invented the Hamburger back in July 2004. I have no idea if that's true, but its still funny as hell. I could only begin to imagine what Bush would do with such power...

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  11:55:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Simple. He'd do the same as every slightly stupid dictator (and a mere continuation of what he's already doing): try to conquer the world and fall on his face. Then he'll stab/shoot/hang/poison/explode himself and become a big bad historical figure, leaving a lot, a LOT of gory stories behind.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.