Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  11:31:37  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message
http://www.cariboo.bc.ca/pubrel/researchmatters/dec.html

and this coming from a University! I need to get off this Planet.

I guess I could have put this under Pseudoscience as well.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum

Edited by - astropin on 10/01/2004 11:34:25

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  11:50:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Gag, I couldnt even finish this, Using the theory of relativity to corralate between the biblical acount of genisis and the fossil record.

Good old Psycho-logists, trying to come up with profound advances in hard science.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  12:17:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
By comparing dates from the King James Bible and fossil records and applying the logic of singularity and Einstein's general theory of relativity, four relativistic data points - The biblical days three, five, six (Genesis) and 12.2 (Psalms) - formed a straight line along a decelerating hypothetical time line that spanned nearly a trillion years.

What the...? I wonder what would happen if a serious scientist got a hold of this.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  12:22:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Probably an aneurism.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  13:12:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Probably an aneurism.

Appoplectic seizure?

The stream of illogic would cause their head to explode?

Either that, or debilitating fits of laughter.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  13:13:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
By comparing dates from the King James Bible and fossil records and applying the logic of singularity and Einstein's general theory of relativity, four relativistic data points - The biblical days three, five, six (Genesis) and 12.2 (Psalms) - formed a straight line along a decelerating hypothetical time line that spanned nearly a trillion years.

Problem with this is anyone who does not understand the concept of a singularity and what Einstien's theories say will not understand how invalid this is. That is a lot of people. It could be worse though, they could have picked some terms out of quantum physics, some of which sound very cool and unknown.

quote:
Their perspective suggests that "life didn't just spontaneously generate out of nothing and turn from exploding rock into living beings as evolutionists have previously claimed."

And the Straw Men keep coming....

quote:
Extrapolations from the line suggest we are close to the event horizon, when everything we know stops and the universe returns to where it first emerged (the singularity).

Well, they are almost on actual science. They come close to the idea that we don't know what goes on inside a blackhole, "when everything we know stops" although it has recently been shown that some "stuff" does come out of blackholes. But how the hell this relates to any time line or how we are getting close to a blackhole, I have no clue.

quote:
"We are the first in the world to mathematically equate the Biblical account of creation in a one-to-one fashion with the fossil record using general relativity"

They are the first people to do anything with fossils and general relativity at the same time.

quote:

Canadian Psychometric Surveys provided Montoya and MacKay equipment to carry out their research.

Funny that when searching "Canadian Psychometric Surveys" on Google, it comes up with 1 hit... this article....

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  13:37:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Humerous. But I note that the artical is dated December 11, 2,001. I further note that there is no mention of publication in a refereed, scientific journal.

I wonder how the movie came out, and did he indeed get a grant.

More creatinist blather. But I'll give it a couple of points for orginality and laughs.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  14:24:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Looks like a tech college. No MS degrees, limited BS categories and lots of certificate programs.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  19:18:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I'm betting astropin found the link through James Randi's commentary today, in which the chemistry/physics instructor of the same college says he complained to the college about the page, and continues:
My complaints fell on deaf ears since they claim that they received no negative publicity even after printing that posting in the newspaper in 2001. It has been 3 years now and this nonsense is still there for all to see on the website.
And really... a trillion years? Extending the upper bound of the age of the universe by more than a factor of 50? Yeah. Cosmologists don't know squat, I'm sure.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2004 :  09:22:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Of course not. They're satanist liars.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  13:32:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Now that was good for a laugh! I especially liked this part....

quote:
We had to assume that the two primary viewpoints were both correct. One, that the scientific evidence for creation was factual and accurate and two the Biblical account of creation was factual, accurate and true.

rofl... "THE TWO PRIMARY VIEWPOINTS" and they are both creatinist viewpoints? and "scientific evidence for creation"? hehe hehe...

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.