New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  08:05:18  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
Just got this via e-mail from one of the bands I used to engineer for back East:

edo takes on the election

I mighta put it in the Humor folder, since these guys are known to spontaneously start channeling the Marx Brothers onstage, but thsi time the boys seem to be being serious.

I'm gonna have to give Eliot a correspondence course on How to Mix Background Vocals, but I liked it anyway.

Share and Enjoy!

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  10:21:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Very cool.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  15:44:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
It would be cooler if it was possible to understand a single word in the song..... heh.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  16:34:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Exactly dude. I think it was a great idea, I like the pictures of troops, children, etc. in conjunction with attacks on the dumbasses who brought us to war, but I think they need a new singer and someone who is better with flash.

I thought the best part was the reference to "Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil."

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  17:29:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
Actually, I was able to understand Eliot's leads- although after spending thousands of hours working with his voice I have something of an advantage there. Where I lose it is in the choruses- can't understand them at all.

Web animations with music send me right up the palm tree. On their Web site there's a Flash animation of "This is your Cat on Drugs". Now, I know exactly what that song sounds like, since I mixed the @#$% thing. The top-end loss in the animated version is so bad that I can't listen to it. OTOH, there are some .mp3s that aren't bad at all, reproduction quality-wise.

There's gotta be some way to combine animated visuals and music for Web surfers without mertilating the audio.

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  20:52:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
The Condi Rice pic was cracking me up.... bet it would have been even better if I could understand what they were saying.... lol.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  23:57:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
I thought that was pretty good, actually. Rumsfeld Pinhead and Dark Jedi were awesome pics, but that blond toddler flippin' the bird takes the cake.

Anyway, here's my best attempt at decyphering the lyrics for those who had trouble hearing them. (Took me a few runs.) Please feel free to add corrections or fill in the lines that eluded me.

And it's 1, for all the lies they've told us.
And it's 2, for the bill of goods they sold us.
And it's 3, for the self-righteous way they scold us
when they say the price of freedom must be paid
by you and you and you.

[Chorus]
And the boner-biter retards in the Pentagon.
The values of citizenship in Iraq. (unclear)
In Iraq. In Iraq.
We've made an awful mess.

And it's 5, for all kids who've died there.
And it's 6, for all tears that God cried there.
And it's 7, for all brains we've fried there
because of contradictory... (unclear)

And those boner-biter retards in the Pentagon.
Those boner-biter retards in the Pentagon.
In Iraq. In Iraq.
Bit by a rabbit, yeah. (?)
No, they've never, rollin' river.
Across that river of slop. Rollin' river.

And it's 9, for all hopes that have faded.
And it's 10, because it seems so complicated.
And it's 11, ‘cause people have started to be hated.
And they say we are safer than we used to be
but I am scared of them.

Of those boner-biter retards in the Pentagon.
Those boner-biter retards in the Pentagon.
In Iraq, across that river.
Across that river of slop. Across my....
(Fades to inaudible)

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 10/08/2004 17:05:03
Go to Top of Page

todd

4 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  12:28:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send todd a Private Message
hey! thanks for all the feedback. I play Piano and moog for EDO, the band in question. I also mixed the recording ON THE FLY, I should add. Rough mix. We really just wanted to get it out there before the election. The lyrics I read are pretty close, but it's "bit by a rabid Yak." and it's also "across that river of snot." Yes. that's what it is. I don't know why. Eliot is nuts. That's why.
Eliot might not be a slick rock singer like you see on your mTV, but he is a true original and never ceases to crack me up. I've been a fan of this band for 10 years and now they've finally let me in the band.
This is a little song we would sing and it would make us giggle, but then our guitar player Pete made the flash program. Now I find it quite poignant. I hope you send it around to all your friends. It might just save the world.
And Ktesbios is the great engineer he says he is. We miss him. thanks for your comments!
todd
Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  10:35:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
[Boris Karloff voice]

Hello Toddy

Welcome to SFN!

[/Boris Karloff voice]

How the Heck did you find this place? I don't recall telling Eliot I'd posted that link here?

Anyway, I hope you have some time to browse around here and join in the discussions. It's a good bunch of folks here and we manage to keep the discourse civil and informative.

Now, since Todd has given me such an inflated compliment (I've never claimed to be anything but a competent engineer), I'm gonna tell an anecdote illustrative of his character.

Some years ago, when I was still in Philly, I kinda fell for this woman (uncle Ktesibios' heartfelt advice for the younger set: Never fall for an anarchist gal. Just take my word for it). I knew she liked Todd's music, so I asked him if he could cut an acoustic version of his song "Facing the Pig" so I could include it in a batch of newly-mixed songs from the edo album we were working on at the time which I was putting together for her.

He came down to the studio and sang and played for hours; when I listened to the DAT the next day I realized that I had an album's worth of material. So, I mastered it and formatted it into a CD, complete with a subtly mushy graphic design and a bloomin' love letter on the front cover, written in ancient Egyptian and disguised as part of the decoration.

As it turned out, she quite liked the record and had some fun puzzling over it looking for the secret message I'd told her was hidden somewhere in it.

As for the rest, well, I'm still single and 3000 miles from the scene of the crime, but I remain rather proud of that record. Goofiest damn thing I've done since I was a kid.

But that's OT. The point is that Todd made the trip from his home to the studio on a work night and spent that time singing and playing his heart out- just so that I could make a present for a girl I liked. That's the kind of guy he is. There ain't many like that.

And, just to provide some kind of tie-in to the Politics folder, I want to to see a Todd/Eliot ticket in 2008. How can you beat integrity, humanity and a mirror ball hat?

Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  12:03:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ktesibios

Just got this via e-mail from one of the bands I used to engineer for back East:
edo takes on the election ...Share and Enjoy!

That was great! Here is another one a friend sent me. Adult language but rather lilting.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

todd

4 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2004 :  07:24:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send todd a Private Message
oh yeah, wow. small world. I met that guy, Jim ...Infantino, that is. Long time ago in Philly.. 1994. Nice guy. Very talented. I'm partial to the edo video, but I guess I'm biased.
thanks for the kind words, Ktesibios. I still get compliments on the album you mixed for us back in 1997. And I can still listen to it once in a while without cringing! I credit your mixing job.

non sequitur: I saw Dark Side of the Rainbow last night. (Wizard of Oz with Dark Side of the Moon as the soundtrack.) What a hoot! You must check it out someday. It's really funny. Someone has made a DVD so you don't have to sync it up manually.
Go to Top of Page

Doomar
SFN Regular

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  22:03:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Doomar's Homepage Send Doomar a Private Message
I liked it!

Mark 10:27 (NKJV) 27But Jesus looked at them and said, “With men it is impossible, but not with God; for with God all things are possible.”

www.pastorsb.com.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.