Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Politics
 Relious Right going after Arlen Specter.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  00:52:13  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
This is a letter I've sent to a few groups: American Atheists, AU, FFRF, etc. I've maybe made a fool of myself, but I'm used to it.

If nothing else, they'll be watching for any religious right attempt to get rid of Arlen Specter, the one guy who can stop Bush from appointing theocrat judges.

<~~Letter starts
I have no idea if they can pull this off or not, since I'm a Canadian and don't know much about your judicial system, but I figured that I'd better let you guys know about this:

It looks like at least some members of The Religous Right now has Specter in their gun sights!

The following is from a discussion board of a site called "Rapture Ready" from the members only section.

If you want, you can sign on with my username "****" password "****", to get in their and read the original article yourself. Just don't post anything!

In the RR site, in the "Members only section" about the elections:

How to Stop Arlen Specter.

quote:
the article that ticked them off

For those of you who are outraged at Sen. Arlen Specter's latest outburst, which insults conservatives and questions the President's right to appoint Supreme Court justices as he sees fit, there is good news: the word on the hill is that there is a realistic possibility that Specter's presumed chairmanship of the Judiciary Committee could actually be stopped.

It can be done. But you must stab deep if you would kill a king - and the Senators who stand against Specter must be assured of support
. Otherwise, Specter as Chairman would have the power to make Judiciary a living hell for any members who opposed him.

Perhaps this is why the only current member of the committee to speak out on the matter thus far is freshman Sen. John Cornyn of Texas, and only very cautiously.

When it comes to the process of selecting a Chairman, the members of the Judiciary Committee vote by secret ballot for their Chairman. That vote is technically a "recommendation" to the Republican Caucus - which votes to confirm all the Chairman by secret ballot in the first week of January. Typically, that second vote is a formality, and the recommendation by the members of the committee is what matters the most.

In terms of the Judiciary Committee, it is easy to count to six, and according to our sources the likely votes against Specter as Chairman would be: Kyl, Sessions, Cornyn, Craig, Chambliss, and either Graham or Grassley.

[b]But the real pressure points should not be brought on these members, but on Majority Leader Frist. These members will need the cover of the Majority Leader if they are to oppose a veteran Senator like Specter, and the fact that Frist clearly has his sights set on a future White House run works to our advantage.

Frist's office email is [email]bill_frist@frist.senate.gov[/email]. His phone number is 202-224-3344. Get cracking. Tell Majority Leader Frist that you don't want Arlen Specter as Chairman, and that the President deserves a Judiciary Chairman who represents the values of the Republican Party,
<~~ end of RR post.

You guys should let the Senators who SUPPORT Specter know that they have your support...if not, and those guys have their way, George'll be able to put more theocrats on the bench, and then your job will get really hard!

If anyone is registered on that site, they can see a bunch of them already saying "mailed" "done" etc. They are doing it!

I think it's time pro CSS people etc. get together and tell Majority Leader Frist that you DO need Specter on the committee. Let him know that you want someone who'll make sure that the judges that are appointed support the values of the your Constitution!

Those people are trying to remove the last obstacle to theocracy. Only americans can stop this!

I know, it's late when I'm writing this, and I probabaly am over-reacting, but I figured it'd be a good idea to let you guys know what they're up to. I do not think that they're the only ones doing this!

Hopefully, I'm just over-reacting, but, better safe than sorry!

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 11/06/2004 00:59:14
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds.