New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2004 :  19:18:24  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Went to see Kevin Ryerson today. Shirley Maclaine's favorite medium.

Learned about this: http://www.johnadams.net/
[Moved to the General Skepticism folder - Dave W.]

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2004 :  19:21:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
And? How was he?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2004 :  22:13:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
A review from the link on Ryerson's book:
quote:
"For the survival of humanity, this is the most significant book written in one thousand years. When research reveals scores of correlations, 'coincidence' becomes synchronicity, which is the foundation for many new scientific discoveries." - C. Norman Shealy, M.D., Ph.D., neurosurgeon, medical inventor, and author of 21 books. www.shealyhealthnet.com
Why do I find it very hard to believe this doctor's claim to be a neurosurgeon? [rolls eyes]

The doctor's web site gives no clue the good doctor is anything but a flake.

The claims of Ryerson remind me of the "Celestine Prophecy". Magical thinking, pure and simple.

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2004 :  07:18:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Sorry, late getting in last night and wanted to start the thread, but didn't have the energy for a coherent sentence.

I read Shirley Maclaine's 'Out on a Limb' and saw the movie a long time ago, but I really remembered nothing about Kevin Ryerson going into this. Evidently, he's not much of a big name anymore, as a search on randi.org, csicop.org and skepdic.com turned up nothing about him.

Ryerson describes what he does as trance channeling. He channels for such characters as Tom Mcpherson, an Irish pickpocket and John, an Essene scholar.

Most of the talk was about the work of one of his characters named Ahtun Re and a flesh-and-blood person named Walter Semkiw, MD, MPH whom you can read about at http://www.johnadams.net/about.html. Ahtun Re last incarnated in Egypt, 2500 years ago. "He speaks with an Egyptian accent, has a mischievous sense of humor and is quite the showman. Ahtun Re has indicated that on talk shows, he would reveal past life identities of media hosts on air." (from johnadams.net)

He started out the talk - actually, there was a free talk for an hour, then a $10 "workshop" for two hours - by asking us to look at a twenty dollar bill. Then he asked us to remember what John Kerry looked like, followed by gasps and yes, John Kerry is the reincarnation of Andrew Jackson http://www.johnadams.net/cases/samples/Kerry-Jackson/index.html. He outlined some similarities between the candidates, most of which I don't remember, and then introduced Walter Semkiw, M.D., and we knew then that they were there to sell Dr. Semkiw's book about how some of the "Founding Principles" (not Founding Fathers, as some were women), had come back to straighten out the mess the country was in.

Ryerson ended up "channeling" Ahtun Re for the last half hour of the "workshop." Most of the channeling session was unintelligible nonsense peppered with a lot of clearing of the throat and "Do you understand?" or "Do you follow?". When a few people answered back with "YES!" then Ahtun Re would say something like "isn't that fascinating?" or "isn't that interesting?".

Then Ahtun Re called up Dr. Semkiw who talked about his book and the project. Dr. Semkiv was John Adams, of course. Dr. Semkiw wrapped up his portion of the talk by introducing Thomas Hansen, who is convinced he is the reincarnation of Thomas Jerfferson (yes, another book, see http://www.cosmiccooperation.com/ )followed by some more quick nonsense from Ahtun Re and a hurried closing by Ryerson.

To sum up what I get from this Ryerson, Semkiw and Tom Hansen who are convinced that they are reincarnations of Philip Livinston (evidently one of the signers of the Dec. of Ind.) John Adams, and Thomas Jefferson, are trying to con Shirley Maclaine, who is the reincarnation of someone named Robert Morris who is known as "The Financier of the Revolution" (hint hint), and other celebrities to jump on their celestial bandwagon to fix what's wrong with the world. Oh, there was another guy running the booth that was also a reincarnation of somebody that I never heard of - http://www.johnadams.net/cases/samples/Keene-Gordon/index.html , if you're interested.

My wife was going, so I spent the ten bucks so I could give you all a summary and another reason to vote for John Kerry! Ryerson was likable and somewhat funny, and I had never really seen a "channeling" in person, so although I should have my SFN membership revoked for paying the money, I spent a pleasant afternoon with my wife, which is hopefully a good enough excuse.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 10/10/2004 07:23:01
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2004 :  07:44:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Sounds like he put on a good show. Even I might fork over a sawbuck if the act is quality. I'd come away entertained and with yet more fuel for the fires I like to start under these charlatans. Indeed, it's been too long since we've discussed one.

quote:
And? How was he?

Dave, I suspect that he was Medium Rare.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2004 :  08:06:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
I forget that these guys really never go away. This was at the Universal Light Expo in Columbus, Ohio. Lots of booths and talks. Dick Sutphen's the big name today (not going today). He's been around so long that I'd forgotten about him.

Beskeptigal, Norman Shealy is an M.D. and again, he's so old that I don't find much information about him on Quackwatch and none on cscicop.org.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.