Africa rife with bad medicine conspiracies
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2004 :  01:19:32  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
First the president of South Africa says HIV drugs cause AIDS and the HIVirus doesn't. And now we have the Nobel Prize winner making the claim HIV was made to kill blacks. This is really sad because it will set back efforts to deal with HIV. There is distrust for HIV drugs and this will add to it.

news link
quote:
Nairobi - Kenyan ecologist Wangari Maathai, the first African woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize, on Saturday reiterated her claim that the AIDS virus was a deliberately created biological agent.

"Some say that Aids came from the monkeys, and I doubt that because we have been living with monkeys (since) time immemorial, others say it was a curse from God, but I say it cannot be that.

"Us black people are dying more than any other people in this planet," Maathai told a press conference ...

The science of where the HIVirus originated and its DNA structure leaves no doubt it wasn't man made and isn't a biological weapon. The widespread belief in incredible rumors boggles the mind.

In addition to this there has been the polio vaccine rumor that it was really a drug to sterilize the population.

news link
quote:
Extremist Islamic clerics have led the boycott, claiming the polio vaccine is part of a U.S.-led plot to render Nigeria's Muslims infertile or infect them with AIDS.

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2004 :  06:44:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
I don't know, but sterilize some people would be a great idea. Especially in poor countries. A harsh idea, maybe, but beneficial.

Anyway, wild ideas aside, that is pretty sad. Of course the black population dies in greater amounts, but if you consider most of it is, sadly, in a state of poverty, that the medicides are expensive and that little to no profilaxic (sp?) culture reaches the poorer countries of Africa and such, it all makes sense.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2004 :  09:12:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
In 1988, when I was a senior in HS, some of my classmates and I went to the USSR (Moscow, and St. Petersburg specifically). We hooked up with some of our peers in both places (other teenagers) organized through our schools. We visited some cool places, experienced the culture, talked about issues, ect...

My point....

Almost all of the people we talked to about the issues of the day (war, aids, mtv, ect...) believed that HIV was a weapon created by the USA, and either deliberately or accidentally released.

So, it's not exactly a new rumor. Essentially, it's been floating around out there since HIV/AIDS first became a public health issue.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2004 :  10:47:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
I don't know, but sterilize some people would be a great idea. Especially in poor countries. A harsh idea, maybe, but beneficial.

Be careful where you go with this. There is one person who we all know tried this idea, Hitler. Now I know you don't mean it to go that far, however where is the cut off limit? Which diseases should we sterilize and which should we not sterilize? Where is it no longer right to sterilize someone? Should the rights of the few be able to be violated to protect the safety of the general population? And how dangerous does this threat have to be? Etc. etc.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2004 :  13:17:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Be careful where you go with this. There is one person who we all know tried this idea, Hitler. Now I know you don't mean it to go that far, however where is the cut off limit? Which diseases should we sterilize and which should we not sterilize? Where is it no longer right to sterilize someone? Should the rights of the few be able to be violated to protect the safety of the general population? And how dangerous does this threat have to be? Etc. etc.

Ah, yes. So many questions without answers.

However, it makes you quite anxious to see thousands and thousands of families below the line of misery spitting out more and more people to increase the snowball. My family, itself, was composed of a mother (my grandmother) and fourteen kids. From those, six survived up to adolescence. My aunt, herself, had about eight children (many of those didn't go too far), and her daughter, my cousin, is on the same track. They, too, are just a notch above total misery.

Not that, were I in the government, would do such a thing as sterilize people - China managed it quite well without such extremes, but their outcomes isn't really that pretty.

Y'know, that'd make one hell of a controversial book. Maybe I'll write it someday and exploit the possibilities ;)

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2004 :  22:07:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Alot of the world isn't ready to face the possible need for population control. The religious and some otehr zealots defend their "right" to breed indefinitely without regard to the planet's capacity to support life.

It's not an issue at the moment (and it may verywell never become one if we allow science to continue to help us produce enough food, ect...).

It's a very messy issue.....

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2004 :  02:19:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Alot of the world isn't ready to face the possible need for population control. The religious and some otehr zealots defend their "right" to breed indefinitely without regard to the planet's capacity to support life.

It's not an issue at the moment (and it may verywell never become one if we allow science to continue to help us produce enough food, ect...).

It's a very messy issue.....

It all distills off to that we will control our population or nature will do it for us. The methods nature uses for this sort of thing are pretty ghastly.

I am reminded of an experiment I read of many years ago; back in the '60s, I think it was. It was done with a mouse population. The researchers set up a very roomy habitate and stocked it with a few pairs of lab mice. These mice wanted for nothing, always having a clean enviornment and plenty of food and water, and the places to hide so important to a small rodent.

Time passed. The mice happily produced new mice. When the population reached a certain level, odd behavior began to appear. Some of the mice became 'pretty.' These would spend virtually all of their non-feeding, waking hours grooming themselves. And by this time, new litters of mice, of which virtually all would survive, were arriving almost by the minute.

Their behavior became more and more erratic as the crowding increasd. Some became vicious loners and others actually formed gangs of sorts and attacked other mice. The population began to die.

In the end, the whole colony died out, right down to the last, wretched rodent.

Interesting, no?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2004 :  08:11:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
It all distills off to that we will control our population or nature will do it for us. The methods nature uses for this sort of thing are pretty ghastly.

I am reminded of an experiment I read of many years ago; back in the '60s, I think it was. It was done with a mouse population. The researchers set up a very roomy habitate and stocked it with a few pairs of lab mice. These mice wanted for nothing, always having a clean enviornment and plenty of food and water, and the places to hide so important to a small rodent.

Time passed. The mice happily produced new mice. When the population reached a certain level, odd behavior began to appear. Some of the mice became 'pretty.' These would spend virtually all of their non-feeding, waking hours grooming themselves. And by this time, new litters of mice, of which virtually all would survive, were arriving almost by the minute.

Their behavior became more and more erratic as the crowding increasd. Some became vicious loners and others actually formed gangs of sorts and attacked other mice. The population began to die.

In the end, the whole colony died out, right down to the last, wretched rodent.

Interesting, no?

It's a pattern we can see in more civilised countries, can't we? Humans 'becoming pretty' in their search for perfect physical appeal. Then suddenly they start diminishing.

Quite interesting indeed.

Maybe we don't need sterilisation after all.

-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2004 :  10:43:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

quote:

Ricky, the idea of the forced sterilization of "inferiors" wasn't original with Hitler. In fact, the eugenics movement, which produced laws in 35 states right here in the USA allowing for the forced sterilization of people who were considered genetically unfit- and produced something like 60,000 of these atrocities, was a considerable inspiration to the Nazis.

Many of the victims had, in fact, no actual hereditary disease to pass on to their children, but were selected on the basis of membership in a socioeconomic group considered "inferior" by the eugenicists.

In 1942 the Journal of the American Psychiatric Association published an article, originally delivered at their annual meeting, calling for the killing of mentally retarded children- and gave it positive editorial comment.

Legally forced sterilizations continued in the USA into the 1970s; there's evidence that in the mid-70s and before, American Indian women were being coerced by government-paid doctors into "consenting" to be sterilized.

Similar programs operated in other countries, notably Sweden and Finland.

So, you needn't go as far as Germany to find very Nazi-like ideas about "racial hygiene" being advocated by respectable intellectuals and enshrined in law. You can find it right here at home.

A few resources on this that I've found on the Web:

http://www.webster.edu/~woolflm/forcedsterilization.html

http://www.dickshovel.com/IHSSterPol.html

http://www.lansingcitypulse.com/040922/features/health.asp

http://www.jta.org/page_view_story.asp?intarticleid=13130&intcategoryid=5

http://kpope.com/eugenics.php

http://www.waragainsttheweak.com/chapter1.php

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2004 :  12:39:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Yes, actually over 8,000 right here in Virginia, not 50 miles from where I am. I think the recent numbers show over 70,000, but I will have to double check on that. The most shocking ones to me were rape victims who had children. They and their children were both forced to become sterilized. Others included those who were poor as this was believed to be genetic. The worst part is that some of these people who were sterilized actually died from the medical procedure, so they not only lost the ability of having birth but their life as a whole.

While you can find Eugenics right here at home, I was simply pointing out the most well known one, as millions of lives don't compare to a "mere" (relatively) 70,000. At least in math.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 10/12/2004 12:40:57
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2004 :  12:47:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Well I for one am for the forced sterilzation of 95% of the population, random of course, and Ill be first in line...

Actually to prevent fraud and redistribute wealth all rich people will be forced...

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2004 :  14:50:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:

Actually to prevent fraud and redistribute wealth all rich people will be forced...

Reverse eugenics? Interesting... still wrong, but interesting.

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2004 :  20:54:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Eugenics will never go away.

Because, simply, it would work. Over time you COULD breed humans for desired traits.

The issue is, as I believe Dave_W mentioned in another thread on a similiar topic, who gets to choose the traits?

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.