Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NubiWan
Skeptic Friend

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  12:28:07  Show Profile Send NubiWan a Private Message
May be beating a dead bush here, but thought it worth noting:
quote:
When Dick Cheney led Halliburton Co. in the late 1990s, the firm opposed Environmental Protection Agency regulation of hydraulic fracturing, a technique that pumps pressurized fluid into the ground to boost oil and gas production. Halliburton and two other companies dominate worldwide use of the method. The administration of President Bush and Vice President Cheney has taken steps to keep the practice of hydraulic fracturing from being regulated by the EPA under federal drinking water laws.

1995: Dick Cheney becomes chief executive of Halliburton Co., a leader in fracturing.

1997: Alabama residents win a ruling in U.S. appeals court that fracturing should be regulated under the Safe Drinking Water Act.

1999: Following up on its ruling, the U.S. appeals court orders the EPA to oversee fracturing in Alabama.

2000: Halliburton lobbies in Washington to exempt fracturing from regulation under drinking water law.

2001: Vice President Cheney convenes task force to devise a national energy policy.

2001: The EPA chief presses Cheney to scale back language recommending the exemption of fracturing from a task force report. The exemption recommendation is removed, but the report notes the benefits of fracturing.

2003: Bush and Cheney back a sweeping energy bill that includes a provision to exempt fracturing from EPA drinking water regulation.

2004: An EPA study concludes that fracturing does not threaten drinking water.

2004: An EPA environmental engineer seeks whistle-blower protection after telling the agency inspector general and lawmakers that the EPA fracturing study is scientifically unsound.

Sources: Federal court records, national energy policy report, EPA records, interviews and news accounts

Oh for the days of now seemly pleasurable pursuits of nosy inquiries into who gave who a BJ, when and where.., at no cost to the public of money, health or lives. Well not quite, the GOP did spend the public's funds very generously to get to the bottom of it.

[Edited to change huge URL into this link - Dave W.]

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  12:39:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Cheney has long been a chancre on our national state of affairs. For a pretty accurate history of this foul, piece of over-paid white-trash, go here:

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3288

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  22:32:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
It's always so nice to come to this bastion of intelligent Bush bashers when I'm depressed by the pro-Bush idiots I come across daily. My only other saving grace is I'm in a 'blue' state so I can tell the idiots their vote won't count.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  07:25:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
It's always so nice to come to this bastion of intelligent Bush bashers when I'm depressed by the pro-Bush idiots I come across daily. My only other saving grace is I'm in a 'blue' state so I can tell the idiots their vote won't count.

Ditto. Seeing our homely Shrub-trashers here makes my heart go quieter. There is still hope.

But I better start learning whatever language you speak in Sweden. Just in case.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  08:26:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia
But I better start learning whatever language you speak in Sweden. Just in case.

English should see you through just fine :)

Miss Tick sniffed. 'You could say this piece of advice is pricesless', she said. 'Are you listening?'
'Yes' said Tiffany.
'Good now...If you trust in yourself.."
'Yes..?'
'..and believe in your dreams...'
'yes?'
'...and follow your star..' Miss Tick went on.
'Yes?'
'You'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye.'
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  14:58:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Indeed. Children start learning English in 4th grade, and have 1 or 2 hours/week until 10th and 11th grade.
Swedish belongs to the Indo-European family of languages, specifically, the Germanic Branch. I've been told that Swedish is fairly easy to get a grip of, though some intricacies will take time to master.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  15:56:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Great! I'm rather fluent in english since I was, like, seven. I always wanted to learn a germanic language, though - they seem a lot like my native portuguese, just... not. lol.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

NGR

Australia
9 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  20:38:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send NGR a Private Message
I thought English was a germanic language
Go to Top of Page

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  21:00:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by NGR

I thought English was a germanic language

Germanic from Anglo-Saxon and Romantic from Norman French, which itself was influenced a bit by Germanic Norse. Add a healthy dose of everything that came to the USA with immigrants to round it out.

More than half of English words are Germanic in origin.

- TW
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  23:29:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tw101356
Germanic from Anglo-Saxon and Romantic from Norman French, which itself was influenced a bit by Germanic Norse. Add a healthy dose of everything that came to the USA with immigrants to round it out.
More than half of English words are Germanic in origin.

Ja. Die englische Sprache hier wird vom Deutschen durch das schwein-lateinische Eintragungstor des Brooklyn davon abgeleitet.

(Vizepräsident Cheney spricht jedoch im lanuage des Reptil-lateins mit Gabel-tounge.)
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  01:19:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Drifting way off-topic here, but I just love this thing so much I'll repost it in full:
ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS!

Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy snappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gwerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sictseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
So, how close are English and German? Sure, it's fake German, but I think the point still stands.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2004 :  03:28:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Drifting way off-topic here, but I just love this thing so much I'll repost it in full:
ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS!

Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy snappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gwerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sictseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
So, how close are English and German? Sure, it's fake German, but I think the point still stands.

Ah, since the topic is already derailed, I might as well continue...

quote:
To whom it may concern:

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the EU rather than German, which was the other possibility. As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceeded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5 year phase-in plan that would be known as 'Euro-English'.

In the first year the soft 'c' will be replaced. Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard 'c' will be dropped in favour of the 'k'. This should klear up konfusion and keyboards kan have one letter less.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome 'ph' will be replased by the 'f'. This will make words like 'fotograf' 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.

Governments will enkorage the removal of double leters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also al wil agre that the horible mes of the silent 'e' in the languag is disgraseful and it should go away.

By the 4th yer peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing 'th' wit 'z' and 'w' with 'v'. During ze fifz yer ze unesesary 'o' can be dropd from vords kontaining 'ou' and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After ziz fifz yer ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor truble or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu onderstand ech ozer.

ZE DREM OF A UNIFIED EUROPA VIL FINALY KUM TRU!!

Auf wiedersehen!!!

I got this by E-mail a few years ago, though it my be out there on web I don't know where it originated.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2004 :  06:00:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Hehhehheh, not bad. Thanks!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.