Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  08:22:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer
(once I figure out umlauds, I'm gonna be dangerous.)

Hey, Dancer. If you use a fairly new version of Windows, you can get a whole boatload of characters by going to start-->run... and then running charmap.exe ("char" being short for character). It will call up a giant chart of various characters, from š to æ to ©. If you click on a character you want (e.g. ü), you'll see in the lower right corner its keystroke (in the format Alt+NNNN where N=a number; the ü is Alt+0252). If you then hold down the Alt key and type that 4-digit code on your keypad, you'll get the character you want!

Not all characters have this code, and the hundreds of people here at SFN who know more about computing than I do probably have a much better system for doing this ("just hold down the u-key while thinking about the caracter you want"), but this'll let you get your u-umlaut!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  11:15:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
But it may only do the umlauts (or other characters) for people who're also using a Windows system. Mac users (such as Kil) may see nothing but gibberish. And so one would want to turn to HTML, where the common "odd" characters are fairly universal amongst browsers. Lists of "HTML Character Entities" are all over the Web.

To get "überfundie™," one would type in "überfundie™" using HTML entities.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  12:35:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

But it may only do the umlauts (or other characters) for people who're also using a Windows system. Mac users (such as Kil) may see nothing but gibberish. And so one would want to turn to HTML, where the common "odd" characters are fairly universal amongst browsers. Lists of "HTML Character Entities" are all over the Web.

To get "überfundie™," one would type in "überfundie™" using HTML entities.

See?!? I knew some HTML-saavy person would trump me! Hmph.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.