Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  16:18:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
telekinesis and extra-terrestrial life aren't even in the same ballpark, imo.

And we'll be using radio frequencies to communicate for a long time to come. What are all the com sattelites up there using? Some type of radio.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  18:14:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
There are several order of magnitudes between signals that is sent out as greetings to other civilizations, and the every day communications on earth, and between earth and satellites. If we are going to pick up random radio signals, then the source need to be pretty damn close.

SETI is listening in on frequencies that are most likely to be used for inter-stellar communication.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  05:02:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Sorry for the Telekenisis crap, was just trying to show another extremely remote possibility, Ill stick to reality from now on. Bacteria in the earths core...

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  18:18:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
clarify something...

Do you doubt that there is life elsewhere in the universe?

Or are you saying that SETI has as much chance of finding it as we have of finding a telekinetic?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  21:26:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
BigPapaSmurf wrote:
quote:
...humans will only use radio for what a hundred years, were already moving out of it...
I am stunned by these ideas. Cellphones, WiFi, and all other wireless communications, all depend on "radio" signals. It's not like the SETI project is searching solely for AM or FM signals.
quote:
This same arguement could be made for many things which would be the greatest discovery of all time, telekenisis for example.
The difference is that we have no evidence whatsoever for telekinesis (or for bacteria at the Earth's core), but we do have an example of radio-broadcasters: ourselves. And radio is actually ubiquitous from natural sources in the universe, too. The assumption being made by the SETI-at-home project is that other civilizations will come to use the electro-magnetic spectrum as much as we have, or more.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  06:24:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Ok to clarify my baseless points,

1: I mean we dont use radio signals powerful enough to reach very far, not that we dont use them. Or Nextel isnt available in the Eagle Nubula.

2: I do believe there is life elsewhere, just we wont find it with these techniques. Or the probability that we would find int life with these techniques is extremly remote.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  06:26:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
If we do try to look I think looking for the spectra of unnatural compounds might be better. Baseless point #3

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  07:19:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hawks

My computer has just crunched its 600th data unit for seti@home. Do any of you guys run any of these kinds of programs? I know of at least folding@home and fightAIDS@home, but there might be more. If you do run them, then why?

My reasons for running seti@home:
1. Why not, my CPU is idle most of the time.
2. It would be neat if someone found a signal.
3. I've run it for years, and I can't be asked switching to another.

I run Seti@home mostly because I think it's a good idea to look.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.