SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  02:38:38  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Huge Cache of Explosives Vanished From Site in Iraq
By JAMES GLANZ, WILLIAM J. BROAD and DAVID E. SANGER

Published: October 25, 2004

his article was reported and written by James Glanz, William J. Broad and David E. Sanger.

BAGHDAD, Iraq, Oct. 24 - The Iraqi interim government has warned the United States and international nuclear inspectors that nearly 380 tons of powerful conventional explosives - used to demolish buildings, make missile warheads and detonate nuclear weapons - are missing from one of Iraq's most sensitive former military installations.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/25/international/middleeast/25bomb.html

More incompentence!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  02:44:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
If its incompentence, I'm sure Bush is somehow to blame .

How exactly secure can "one of Iraq's most sensitive former military installations" be?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  03:43:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

If its incompentence, I'm sure Bush is somehow to blame .

How exactly secure can "one of Iraq's most sensitive former military installations" be?

The thing is that virtually everybody involved not only knew about the explosives in this complex, but practally had the inventory. The clowns running this war were too busy wondering why there were no flowers and Iraqis dancing in the streets to immedeatly secure it.

And this boom is some beautiful stuff. If I've read it right, it's mostly compositions and PETN; all of which go at somewhere between 24,000 to 26,000 + feet per second. It is what is used in shaped charges. The PETN, 26,500 fps, if memory serves me, is mostly used in PrimaCord.

No wonder there are so many car and road bombs going off in Iraq.

Three hundred and eighty fucking tons! Stupid, stupid, stupid!

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  06:29:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
I think they were too busy 'shocking and awe-ing' to secure this, good news is it will probably cost Bush the election...'What about the 760,000 pounds of missing high-explosives, the UN warned you to protect mr. Bush?'

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  07:18:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
No. It was Saddam's fault. If the U.S. wasn't forced to illegally attack Iraq, then Saddam would have been in control of them instead of somebody incomptent.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  07:23:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

I think they were too busy 'shocking and awe-ing' to secure this, good news is it will probably cost Bush the election...'What about the 760,000 pounds of missing high-explosives, the UN warned you to protect mr. Bush?'

Cost Bush the election? Don't kid yourself. What's one more layer of of deceit in his cloak of lies? He's not going to let a little thing like another incompetant blunder get in the way of his getting a second term of grinding our nation into the fucking dirt.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  07:43:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by chaloobi
Cost Bush the election? Don't kid yourself. What's one more layer of of deceit in his cloak of lies? He's not going to let a little thing like another incompetant blunder get in the way of his getting a second term of grinding our nation into the fucking dirt.

Fortunately, other papers are picking up on the story. In today's Miami Herald (major paper in a swing state!), they run the story, followed by election coverage featuring the headline "Bush: I'm best Candidate
to protect U.S." Right.

I wonder: which do you think we'll find first? The WMD's or the 300+ tons of missing explosives? Hmmmmm...
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  11:55:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Great minds think alike.......

quote:
10/25/2004
In Any Reasonable Democracy, the Fuckin' Camel's Back Should Be Broken:

Oh, those heady days of early 2003, when the majority of the nation was all a-twitter about Iraq and weapons of mass destruction and terrorists, oh, my. When we were told, Joe McCarthy-style, that there were hundreds, yea, hundreds of sites that needed to be checked for those ol' vials of botulism and those cannisters of nerve gas. God, what a pussy you had to be back then, so, so long ago, to believe that Iraq didn't have them. You may as well have said you squat to pee if you dared to say that United Nations weapons inspections should continue. And the International Atomic Energy Agency? With their suspiciously Arab-sounding leader? Fuck, all they were saying was that Iraq didn't have nuclear weapons, but fuck them, those fuckin' wimps - fuckin' Dick Motherfuckin' Cheney knew better.

http://rudepundit.blogspot.com/

But, as we all know, toppling dangerous and horrible statues is far more important than securing li'l explosive dumps that everybody knows about already. Where's the heroic photo op in that?

Ah, composition explosives! I set off a fair amount of it when I was in the service. Lovely stuff. Y'know, a mere 1/2 pound, or less, could make a shrapnel bomb that would take the joy out of the day for a mulitude. The survivors would have wounds that would turn an experienced trauma nurse queasy.

And they made off with 380 tons! Brothers and sisters, that's some ugly math.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  15:22:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist
I wonder: which do you think we'll find first? The WMD's or the 300+ tons of missing explosives? Hmmmmm...

Depends. Will they recognize the 300+ tons of missing explosives when it goes boom about everywhere? Or the non-existent WMD's when they actually materialise out of LaLaLand?

I say, they'll find BigFoot first.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  10:42:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
These may bring doubts to who is responsible for those explosives missing.

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20041028-122637-6257r.htm

"John A. Shaw, the deputy undersecretary of defense for international technology security, said in an interview that he believes the Russian troops, working with Iraqi intelligence, "almost certainly" removed the high-explosive material that went missing from the Al-Qaqaa facility, south of Baghdad."

http://newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/10/26/223708.shtml

http://newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/10/27/112045.shtml

Watch the NBC report.
http://www.dailyrecycler.com/blog/2004/10/nytrogate.html
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  11:08:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Im sure Bush will escalate this to a ground war in asia if he wins.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  13:02:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robb

"John A. Shaw, the deputy undersecretary of defense for international technology security, said in an interview that he believes the Russian troops, working with Iraqi intelligence, "almost certainly" removed the high-explosive material that went missing from the Al-Qaqaa facility, south of Baghdad."

Watch the NBC report.

Yes, yes. I've read about that.

Unfortunatly, these items were inventoried and locked down by UN inspectors. Later, during the invasion, American troops broke the locks off the doors and looked before moving on. They had no orders to secure it.

Further, I recall no reports of Russians being on the ground in Iraq prior to the invasion, or even hanging out on the sidelines.

It takes a lot of effort to move 380 tons of anything. If Pooty-Poot's minions had done it, it would have been done quickly and the activity would have been obvious to anyone smart enough to look. If the Iraqis had done it, piecemeal, not so obvious. And I rather doubt the Russians would simply hand all that good shit over to a handful of murderous barbarians. All too much of it might wind up in Chechnea, if I've spelled that right.

No, this one lands on the doorstep of the administration and the commanders of the invasion, whether or not the Russians had a hand in it. Cretins!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  13:11:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Three employees of the facility were quoted saying that the looting was only done after the fall of Baghdad, including locals renting trucks to looters. I also find it hard to believe that Russian Special Forces were helping them hide explosives, then again Putin has reverted to dictatorship so who knows, either way its bad for Bush so im glad.

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2004 :  03:33:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Rudy Giuliani seems to have lost it completely.

http://www.democrats.org/news/200410280001.html

"No matter how you try to blame it on the president the actual responsibility for it really would be for the troops that were there. Did they search carefully enough? Didn't they search carefully enough?"
(Rudy Giuliani on the Today Show, 10/28/04)

So the buck stoped with the troops?
I hope this statement will haunt Giulianis future career.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2004 :  06:12:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robb

Watch the NBC report.

And this from an administration that blamed the existance of night vision goggles in Iraq on France, Russia, and Syria in turn as they came out objecting to the war. The same administration that claimed that all Saddam's WMD's had been spirited away to Syria.

This administrations truth quotient is damn near nil. When the unidentified source gets off it's dead ass and shows conclusive proof that the Ruskies stole 380 tons of kaboomite, I'll seriously consider the possibility. Until then, this is yet another bullshit "It's dissenters fault" claim.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2004 :  06:56:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

Rudy Giuliani seems to have lost it completely.

http://www.democrats.org/news/200410280001.html

"No matter how you try to blame it on the president the actual responsibility for it really would be for the troops that were there. Did they search carefully enough? Didn't they search carefully enough?"
(Rudy Giuliani on the Today Show, 10/28/04)

So the buck stoped with the troops?
I hope this statement will haunt Giulianis future career.

No, no, no, NO!!

The responsibility lands squarely on Bush's desk. It is his further responsibility to see that the inept commanders involved, starting with Rumsfeld, are disiplined. Don't try to lay this one entirely on the grunts and low-ranking oficers, as was done in the prison torture cases, Rudy. That shit won't float any more.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.