Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  10:07:53  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message
Now I stayed up way to late last night (2:45am) and have probably lost it at this point, but hear me out.

CIVAL WAR

I think its time again. Here is the rationale:
It is clear now that the irrational outnumber the rational in this country. Probably been true for awhile now, but now it's clear for all to see. Now think back to the civil war. What happened....a very large number of the irrational (anyone who thinks slavery could ever be a good moral choice is clearly irrational) got wiped out. We reached a point were the rational outnumbered the irrational (or at least took control). Religion was kept out of government and public schools. The problem is the religious fanatics always have more children than the opposing non-fanatical group. In a free society this is not a good thing. Therefore it is time to thin out the heard again or at least time for the rational to TAKE control once again. Otherwise all may be lost. Another option might be to install hidden X-Ray machines at the entrances of all of the fanatical churches. Visit it enough times and bang, you're sterile!

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum

satans_mom
Skeptic Friend

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  10:37:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send satans_mom an AOL message  Send satans_mom a Yahoo! Message Send satans_mom a Private Message
Another interesting contemplation as posted by you, astropin. I also think it's time for a Revolution. I have been thinking about plagues for some time now, and how handy one would come in that originated from some Christian church in the midwest and spread rapidly throughout the religious fundies. Some sort of new Black Plague. Those that avoid church avoid ruin. But the church-goers will fervently believe that God will protect them in their Holy houses and will continue to destroy themselves.

Yo mama's so fat, she's on both sides of the family.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  11:25:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by astropin

Now I stayed up way to late last night (2:45am) and have probably lost it at this point, but hear me out.

CIVAL WAR

I think its time again. Here is the rationale:
It is clear now that the irrational outnumber the rational in this country. Probably been true for awhile now, but now it's clear for all to see. Now think back to the civil war. What happened....a very large number of the irrational (anyone who thinks slavery could ever be a good moral choice is clearly irrational) got wiped out. We reached a point were the rational outnumbered the irrational (or at least took control). Religion was kept out of government and public schools. The problem is the religious fanatics always have more children than the opposing non-fanatical group. In a free society this is not a good thing. Therefore it is time to thin out the heard again or at least time for the rational to TAKE control once again. Otherwise all may be lost. Another option might be to install hidden X-Ray machines at the entrances of all of the fanatical churches. Visit it enough times and bang, you're sterile!

While revolution might be a knee-jerk response, saying that the US Civil War was over slavery alone and that no rational person supported it in 1860 is oversimplification.

One must take into account common perception in 1860. A view which was prevalent worldwide in the decades leading up to the Civil war was that minority races were somehow mentally inferior to European whites. Many rational people (using an invalid assumption which was not determined until later) considered slaves as property. One must also consider indentured servants (selling oneself into slavery) as well.

The people have spoken, and we should have mobilized more of the votes in those states. The Republican party did an excellent job in motiviating their members to vote. The numbers of voters in this election swelled and those conservative voters who stayed home in 2000 came out as well as the young vote. These two canceled each other out.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  11:28:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
Where do I sign up to join the revolution? I can't believe that idiot is going to be President for four more years. We have elected a man who can't even manage a company successfully to run what was the greatest nation in the world. Stop the world. I wanna get off.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

byhisgrace88
Formerly "creation88"

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  11:41:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send byhisgrace88 an AOL message Send byhisgrace88 a Private Message
Not to gloat but...WOOHOO! *does a victory dance*

It is a great day to be a Republican. I stayed up till 5:30AM this morning so that I could sleep well, knowing that America had made the right decision. The good news kept pouring in. Not only has Bush defeated Kerry, but the Senate minority leader Tom Daschle has been beaten in South Dakota.

It pleases me so much that the American people had the wisdom to see what a politicly scary individual John Kerry really is.

Hey between my Patriots winning, my Red Sox winning, and now Bush, I'm really getting used to this winning thing! :)

Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desire, not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  12:04:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by creation88

Not to gloat but...WOOHOO! *does a victory dance*

It is a great day to be a Republican. I stayed up till 5:30AM this morning so that I could sleep well, knowing that America had made the right decision. The good news kept pouring in. Not only has Bush defeated Kerry, but the Senate minority leader Tom Daschle has been beaten in South Dakota.

It pleases me so much that the American people had the wisdom to see what a politicly scary individual John Kerry really is.

Hey between my Patriots winning, my Red Sox winning, and now Bush, I'm really getting used to this winning thing! :)

America has made a decision. Whether it's right or not remains to be seen. (Yes, I'd say the same thing if Kerry won.)

I will say that the Republicans did this year what they have failed in past years to do. They got out their vote and suppressed (in some cases in a questionable manner) the opponents vote.

The whole intimidation of voters thing doesn't play well with me. Neither does the insertion of faith mudslinging.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  12:21:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Instead of the South breaking off from the North, the North should force the South to leave.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  12:23:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Let us not be singing and dancing, or talking revolution just yet. It's way too early for that. Let's wait a little bitty and see what comes of a now unrestrained Bush.

I've got what I think is a pretty good idea of what will go down, but it's even too soon to be bringing that up. I'm pretty sure I'll get the right opportunity before too much time slides by.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

todd

4 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  12:25:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send todd a Private Message
well, I'm a new comer to this forum, but in my mind, it's a great day to be a rascist. A great day to be a religious zealot. A great day for the arrogant. A great day for people who hate queers. A bad day for science. And a bad day to be someone like me.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  12:33:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
You forgot one thing:

It's a bad day for the rest of the world.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  12:35:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer
While revolution might be a knee-jerk response, saying that the US Civil War was over slavery alone and that no rational person supported it in 1860 is oversimplification.

Well, I never said the civil war was only about slavery. That was just the one example I gave. As you say, there were many factors. Taken as a whole though I still think it was the irrational vs. the rational. Just as I consider "most" of those who voted for Bush to be irrational. It's the only logical conclusion I can come to.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

gezzam
SFN Regular

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  12:52:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gezzam's Homepage Send gezzam a Private Message
A great day for fear........a poor day for hope

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Al Franken
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  13:01:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
Some of you folks might recall when Richard Nixon won an election by a "landslide" and was actually "popular" - then look what happened. Bush too will shoot himself in the foot. (Unfortunately, the country is the "foot" in this case.) At any rate, this will be worse than Watergate. Friends, brace yourselves, hang tough, seek likeminded friends and do continue to pursue your bliss.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  13:15:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by creation88

Read: It's good to see that the American people can be so easily duped as to elect a dip-shit puppet after he's demonstrated for four years just how much of a, well, dip-shit puppet he is.

But kudos to the GOP for running a maserful campaign. They've obviously figured out much better than the Dems that if you repeat the lies often enough, our hapless electorate will believe it!

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  13:16:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

You forgot one thing:

It's a bad day for the rest of the world.

Mwah, I don't know. Dollar going down, Euro going up. Europe uniting a bit more under the pressure put out by America. America possibly isolating itself. If only you didn't have all those nukes, I'd be a lot less worried.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  13:26:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
This is a great day to pack my things and go off to Sweden, before the whole "YOU'RE SMUGGLING MASS DESTRUCTION WEAPONS FOR TERRORISTS!!!!" reaches us.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.